Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Weather

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    Here in Richmond, over the last week I have seen 4 neotropical migrant species that basically never overwinter this far north (Yellow-throated Warbler, Wilson’s Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, and Yellow-breasted Chat). The fun of seeing these birds was offset a bit by the ominous strangeness of the experience. Anyway, 62 degrees right now and looking forward to 3 to 5 inches tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Username checks out.
    But is it real?

(bird, don’t know if you’ve posted on the “is anyone still feeding birds” thread but there’s a good group of birdwatchers over there)

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    Here in Richmond, over the last week I have seen 4 neotropical migrant species that basically never overwinter this far north (Yellow-throated Warbler, Wilson’s Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, and Yellow-breasted Chat). The fun of seeing these birds was offset a bit by the ominous strangeness of the experience. Anyway, 62 degrees right now and looking forward to 3 to 5 inches tomorrow.
    Could this be trouble? Especially if it stays cold for a while, or would these birds just head south again? Screwy migration, but they'd be no worse than some extra flyer miles.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Could this be trouble? Especially if it stays cold for a while, or would these birds just head south again? Screwy migration, but they'd be no worse than some extra flyer miles.
    Depends on the species and the level of disruption but, generally yes, these volatile weather patterns can and do cause more migration deaths. It’s pretty tough business to begin so any unusual hurdle hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Shoot. I got rye.
    You know rye is popular in New York City. Have you seen the snow there?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    FatherPK worked in Rye for years. A treat was to go to his office on a Friday night, and then go to Playland.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Snow looks like burnt toast, so I guess any bread works.

-jk

We just got word of our school system's first snow day of the season tomorrow! I suspect covid played into calling it before the usual 5am.

-jk

The snow has started here in SE PA. New expected totals 3-6 inches.

In Atlanta we have a 60 foot tree down due to saturated ground and high winds. Missed the house by about 10 feet. Now dangling over our in ground pool. Our pool guy/lumberjack has some work to do. Unfortunately, I’m the pool guy/lumberjack.

65 degrees yesterday and 60 degrees at 11 PM. Snow flurries right now in Northwest North Carolina. It's 38 though.

In Greenville, SC the storm was beating on the windows most of the night in waves of wind and rain. It is just letting up as the sun rises somewhere above the clouds. Temperature is 41 deg and with wind chill feels like 31.

In my old house surrounded by lots of mature oak trees I would have been awake all night cringing at each gust. Now in my new neighborhood where the buildings are taller than the young trees I slept through most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    65 degrees yesterday and 60 degrees at 11 PM. Snow flurries right now in Northwest North Carolina. It's 38 though.
    Down here in Asheville, there's a nice dusting. Roads are clear, because it was 60+ yesterday

Does North Carolina's highway department still use plows that look like glorified butter knives?

In middle Tennessee we got 5 inches overnight, much of which melted on contact and then later froze. My yard looks like a winter wonderland this morning, but the trees are dangerously ice-laden. I'm hearing of a lot of power outages throughout the region due to ice damage. The sun is promised to shine, but has yet to punch its way through the clouds.

https://icebug.com/

for those of us who live in areas where ice can be a major problem (pretty much everywhere from the Carolinas northward) Icebugs are fabulous studded shoes that, thus far, have kept me upright on my long daily walks. I know a lot of people who have taken major tumbles on ice (including in the Carolinas) and the older you get, the more problematic it becomes. A lot of the better outdoor stores carry them, such as REI...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Does North Carolina's highway department still use plows that look like glorified butter knives?
    Yeah. And really knives that aren't that glorious. But at least we ain't Atlanta! About 1/2 an inch on the ground here in NW NC.

I still have studded attachments called, I think, "Yak Trax" (http://www.yaktrax.com), that can be slipped on the underside of shoes or boots and provide similar traction in ice. I got them probably close to 30 years ago in Durham, after taking a serious fall on ice. I didn't need them much in Colorado, but now that I'm in Tennessee I can see a need again. Probably a lot cheaper option than buying specialized boots for the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It’s early days for the resolutions, can we please limit the butter references?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yeah. And really knives that aren't that glorious. But at least we ain't Atlanta! About 1/2 an inch on the ground here in NW NC.
    Yup.

Enough to be pretty.

Yes. Snowing so hard here the road is covered. Shocked by that with temps in the 60s to 70s for 2 weeks. Beautiful.