Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Weather

Crazy Weather

It is currently 71 degrees in Chesapeake, VA with the weather report predicting snow Monday morning.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...30aa794e1c686d

EDIT: https://www.wavy.com/blogs/weather-b...coming-monday/
    Last edited by Bob Green; 01-02-2022 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Better link
    Bob Green

Yup. 74 here yesterday in Asheville. Warmest December on record. I went rafting on Xmas Day.

Window rattling storms overnight. Snow tonight.

Along the coast we have had everything from mild winter to mild summer through December. For the last ten days flowers have been blooming and birds returning. The squirrels have no idea what to do. I have an Oak tree in the backyard. It has both the last few dead leaves and new flowers buds/acorns on the same branches. The weather has been Jekyll and Hyde for a while now. The only constant has been never ending allergy season. The yo-yo weather does a number on man and nature.

This time (7:45 a.m. CST) yesterday it was 70 degrees in Austin. Right now it’s 22.

Power grid is holding, for now.

Bout the same here in SE PA. We even got an alert from the county saying the weather was extremely unpredictable and abnormal.

78 yesterday in Durham.

They are calling for three inches of accumulated snow here tomorrow morning. Not sure how to square that with 60 temps today. I don't think the ground cools that quickly.

South side of DC might get 6–8” and maybe even thundersnow! After 60s today.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    They are calling for three inches of accumulated snow here tomorrow morning. Not sure how to square that with 60 temps today. I don't think the ground cools that quickly.
    Agreed. The NWS is predicting 1-2 inches in middle Tennessee ... the Nashville station talking heads are claiming it won't accumulate because of warm grounds. For once, I think I'm believing the latter.

just shoveled five inches of snow, temps down to zero tonight, it's almost like Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Agreed. The NWS is predicting 1-2 inches in middle Tennessee ... the Nashville station talking heads are claiming it won't accumulate because of warm grounds. For once, I think I'm believing the latter.
    Grocery store was bananas today.

Grocery store was bananas today.
    Thanks for reminding me to make an irrationally panicked milk and bread run.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I think you’re being called upon, specifically, to buy bananas.

Makes sense to me. You're gonna get a foot of snowfall but the first nine inches will melt. Speaking of which, is there anything worse than an icesheet under snow?

We just had the warmest December that I can remember in my 30-some years here (Florida). Crunched the numbers, we were over 5 degrees above both the average high and low. But my electic bill is good with it. But we also had a very mild (cooler than I expected) summer. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think you’re being called upon, specifically, to buy bananas.
    Gosh, I hope not.

White bread and milk is an offering to the snow gods. The color resonates with the color of snow.

Bananas are yellow. Yellow snow is generally not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    just shoveled five inches of snow, temps down to zero tonight, it's almost like Winter.
    Minus-nine here this AM on my way to the store. At least it's not snowing, after ten consecutive days of the white stuff.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Gosh, I hope not.

White bread and milk is an offering to the snow gods. The color resonates with the color of snow.

Bananas are yellow. Yellow snow is generally not a good thing.
    Shoot. I got rye.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Milk sandwiches! That delicious treat that for some reason we only eat when it snows!

Bizarre birding

Here in Richmond, over the last week I have seen 4 neotropical migrant species that basically never overwinter this far north (Yellow-throated Warbler, Wilson’s Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, and Yellow-breasted Chat). The fun of seeing these birds was offset a bit by the ominous strangeness of the experience. Anyway, 62 degrees right now and looking forward to 3 to 5 inches tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    Here in Richmond, over the last week I have seen 4 neotropical migrant species that basically never overwinter this far north (Yellow-throated Warbler, Wilson’s Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, and Yellow-breasted Chat). The fun of seeing these birds was offset a bit by the ominous strangeness of the experience. Anyway, 62 degrees right now and looking forward to 3 to 5 inches tomorrow.
    Username checks out.