Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Weather

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    The "forecast" changes every hour. Not sure why they use that term anymore.

was hoping for more snow, now that the "forecast" has shifted west, hoping for all rain. I am surrounded by big, tall trees. Lost a couple of branches in the wind/rain storm the other week.
    The forecast for Raleigh seems to have changed from "winter weather" to "cold and gross".

All I know is Jim Cantore is gonna be in Asheville.
    Batten down the hatches!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Batten down the hatches!
    LOL, yea, the Weather Channel usually tries to send Jim C to that part of the country that will have the worst weather. It would not surprise me if it is part of his contract.

Wow, mid-January in the mountains and it is going to snow. Shocking!

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    LOL, yea, the Weather Channel usually tries to send Jim C to that part of the country that will have the worst weather. It would not surprise me if it is part of his contract.
    He thrives on that, the hype is his fuel. Fond memories of some years ago when NYC was expected to get a huge storm, they positioned Jim in Times Square, and the storm completely fizzled, the best part of which was when the camera cut to Jim, people in cars were mercilessly heckling him, "where's the big storm, Jim, where's the big storm?" Excellent TV.

p.s. his go to phrase when things are going slowly is "things are a bit quiet now, but you get the feeling that all hell is about to cut loose!"

p.s. The Weather Service has hit us with a full Wind Chill Warning for tomorrow, -40, and they've tacked on a Winter Storm Watch for Monday, what with the bread and milk system heading our way...

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    If it's in his contract, I suspect he put it there. The man lives for bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Batten down the hatches!
    I'm supposed to fly out of AVL at 9am on Monday. Methinks I might be forced to find an alternate plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If it's in his contract, I suspect he put it there. The man lives for bad weather.
    That and a few thousand weight lifting reps every day.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I'm supposed to fly out of AVL at 9am on Monday. Methinks I might be forced to find an alternate plan.
    Yeah, I would look into that immediately.

-20 now, but sunny...a bit of a breeze...coordinating a dog tussle in a half hour...6-8 inches of snow on Monday...

Getting tickled by the bomb cyclone

A couple inches of snow fell last night in Hampton Roads but not as much as predicted, which is fine by me. Temperature will be cold today and tonight but will start rising Sunday and into next week.
    Bob Green

Four canceled flights in a row and heading for five or six

We had snow in charleston sc.nothing stuck but it snowed .so winter can go away now lol

We (middle Tennessee) are promised a warm-up to the mid-sixties this coming week ... but to be followed by yet another Arctic plunge next weekend.

I HAD planned to drive to the Indy suburbs to visit my 4 granddaughters the middle of next week…until I checked their weather forecast:
    Thursday- High 24/low 2, 5-8 inches of snow
    Friday- 14/-2
    Saturday- 23/11
    Sunday- 31/9 (early springtime?)

I realize this is nothing to many of you, but it is weather that I will NOT voluntarily suffer through. And their parents keep their thermostat set on 67, making it impossible to even warm up inside.

I’m not sure if I admire or question the sanity of folks who choose to live in these areas.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I HAD planned to drive to the Indy suburbs to visit my 4 granddaughters the middle of next week…until I checked their weather forecast:
    Thursday- High 24/low 2, 5-8 inches of snow
    Friday- 14/-2
    Saturday- 23/11
    Sunday- 31/9 (early springtime?)

I realize this is nothing to many of you, but it is weather that I will NOT voluntarily suffer through. And their parents keep their thermostat set on 67, making it impossible to even warm up inside.

I’m not sure if I admire or question the sanity of folks who choose to live in these areas.
    67? Really?

Toughen up.

I keep my house at 73 in the winter, 76 in the summer.

I was raised in an uninsulated house with only a wood burning stove for cooking. I also did “cold” a few times in the Navy. Winters in Baltimore, Rhode Island, Boston, Maine, and a North Atlantic cruise (including a trip into the Arctic Circle). Swore that I would never do it again.

But when I retire in a few years, I probably will move to Indy and hibernate during winters, unless I can convince my daughters to move closer to me, where it’s warm.

I'd much rather deal with cold winters and put on warm clothes than suffer thru a Southern summer. I guess most people would disagree.

The good news is that (this week notwithstanding) the Winters just aren't nearly as cold as they used to be.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    We keep ours at 67, too. It really doesn't bother us, and we do NOT like cold weather. But we don't like high heating bills either, so the easy answer is to keep the thermostat low and wear warmer clothes inside, and have extra blankets on the bed. (Along with a heating pad on top of the mattress.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."