John Madden, RIP

One of a kind. Rest well, Big John.

Truly amazing career. Astonishing impact on the sport, for decades.

I remember reading “A Knee Equals Two Feet.” The Lite beer commercials. Larger than life.

Only Madden could have made the Thanksgiving day turkey leg award a thing. RIP.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

An absolute legend and icon in the game of football. His legacy will live on for generations. Prayers to the family and friends of the great John Madden. The football world lost a truly great man!

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Boy, those ads bring me back. But I have to admit, when he busts through that wall, I didn't think John Madden as much as I thought John Candy. What a character. The face, er, name, synonymous with pro football computer games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Forgot about that one!

Those were fun commercials.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I grew up on Madden. Watching him coach, then call games, then of course playing the console games.
    So one night when I was working at the deli I managed during my college years in DC, I instantly recognized the guy walking into our shop towards closing hours.

That time of night was always slow, and he was the only one there besides me and my co-worker. I never realized from TV how big John Madden was. My height (6'4") but twice my size. He came up to the counter to order dinner, and I figured it would be a good sized meal. He only ordered a small salad. Like snack size.
    We had upstairs seating that was closed for the evening, which I offered to him. Not so much for privacy reasons, but because our other tables were essentially plastic stools and I figured he'd be more comfortable in a real chair. He chose the downstairs stool, ate his meal and went on his way back to his hotel/bus. (Always tripped me out that he never flew, taking the bus for all the MNF games.)

I never let on that I recognized him. We got lots of celebrities there, and I always figured that at least I could give them a dash of normalcy in a day surrounded by gawk eyed autograph hounds. What struck me most, besides the small salad, was his quiet demeanor. Known for being boisterous, he was anything but. (This didn't apply to all that came in...Jesse Jackson was one that stood out for being pretty much exactly as you'd expect.)

Anyway, that encounter always stuck with me. Thanks for adding color to our football experience, Mr. Madden, both on the field and off.

RIP
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I grew up on Madden. Watching him coach, then call games, then of course playing the console games.
    So one night when I was working at the deli I managed during my college years in DC, I instantly recognized the guy walking into our shop towards closing hours.

That time of night was always slow, and he was the only one there besides me and my co-worker. I never realized from TV how big John Madden was. My height (6'4") but twice my size. He came up to the counter to order dinner, and I figured it would be a good sized meal. He only ordered a small salad. Like snack size.
    We had upstairs seating that was closed for the evening, which I offered to him. Not so much for privacy reasons, but because our other tables were essentially plastic stools and I figured he'd be more comfortable in a real chair. He chose the downstairs stool, ate his meal and went on his way back to his hotel/bus. (Always tripped me out that he never flew, taking the bus for all the MNF games.)

I never let on that I recognized him. We got lots of celebrities there, and I always figured that at least I could give them a dash of normalcy in a day surrounded by gawk eyed autograph hounds. What struck me most, besides the small salad, was his quiet demeanor. Known for being boisterous, he was anything but. (This didn't apply to all that came in...Jesse Jackson was one that stood out for being pretty much exactly as you'd expect.)

Anyway, that encounter always stuck with me. Thanks for adding color to our football experience, Mr. Madden, both on the field and off.

RIP
    Wow, very cool story. Regarding his aversion to flying, I believe it had to do with his days as a football player and student at Cal Poly. There was a plane crash in 1960 that killed a bunch of Cal Poly players, a student manager, and a booster. I believe Madden was close to some of the folks and some years later, had a panic attack on a plane and never flew again. Seems he was really affected by the deaths of those close to him from the plane crash. He started riding his bus around America after that. Plus, he said he could really see the country a lot better riding around as opposed to flying.