Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    For those who do not know, Sean's family certainly has a decent sized nest egg. Sean's father, Michael "Yogi" Stewart, played for 9 years in the NBA with the Kings, Celtics, Raptors, Cavs, and Hawks. He was a sorta fringe rotation player for most of his career, known largely for his shot blocking prowess. He was able to sign a really nice contract early on and made over $25 mil during his career. Assuming he invested decently, the family is probably in quite good shape today.
    I think his dad tends to end up on some of the "bad contract" lists as he got a lot of money (particularly for the time) and didn't do much. He played his college ball at Cal.

His dad was also 6-10 so perhaps Sean might have more room to grow.

Also, his older brother Miles is a 6-7 freshman at Howard, playing for coaches Kenny Blakeney and Tyler Thornton.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The catch, of course, is making sure those multi-year guys actually become multi-year guys.
    Henry Coleman waves hello from Lubbock.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Stewart is recruiting for 2023. Mgabo and McCain are names. That Lithuanian Matas Buzelis is another we should stay after.
    https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/12/23/...championships/

If Henry goes from College Station to Lubbock, he'll definitely be multiyear as he sits out a year with the second transfer.

Do you think Capel is jealous ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Do you think Capel is jealous ?
    Jealous? No. Discouraged and depressed? Very possibly.

His Dad being good friends with Grant Hill probably didn't hurt.

Welcome to Duke Sean and Merry Christmas.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke04Dad View Post
    If Henry goes from College Station to Lubbock, he'll definitely be multiyear as he sits out a year with the second transfer.
    Small town Texas... if you can tell one from another, good for you
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

In one of the recruiting threads, I think I called the top 25-75 range of recruit the "donut hole" problem for Duke. Stewart could probably start as a freshman at 325+ of the 358 DI programs out there. He must know the staff is going after other top 25 players at his position in the Class of 2023 (and beyond). It's hard to keep those kinds of kids happy when they know that playing time is going to be a concern for him at Duke and almost only at Duke. We thought Jaemyn Brakefield and Henry Coleman were going to stay a few years each. I have a hope that Stewart, with a father that played in the NBA and went to college at Cal, is going into this with eyes wide open.

For the most part, Duke can point to lots of players that were ranked outside the top 25 and still played a significant role in their time at Duke, like Javin DeLaurier, Josh Hairston, and even Joey Baker. Stewart appears to be a multi-positional defender with very good athleticism. I bet he can play as a freshman, even just a few minutes, and not be a liability while he's out there. If he is committed to improving and develops his jump shot or some polish on the offensive end, he may blossom into something down the line. It happens all the time, even at Duke. Justin Robinson, Jordan Goldwire, and others have shown they can do it. Heck, even Javin DeLaurier is going to get a cup of coffee in the NBA (with an assist to COVID). Duke could be a great environment for him if he wants it. He seems like a great kid from a great family. I look forward to seeing how he develops in high school and at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    In one of the recruiting threads, I think I called the top 25-75 range of recruit the "donut hole" problem for Duke. Stewart could probably start as a freshman at 325+ of the 358 DI programs out there. He must know the staff is going after other top 25 players at his position in the Class of 2023 (and beyond). It's hard to keep those kinds of kids happy when they know that playing time is going to be a concern for him at Duke and almost only at Duke. We thought Jaemyn Brakefield and Henry Coleman were going to stay a few years each. I have a hope that Stewart, with a father that played in the NBA and went to college at Cal, is going into this with eyes wide open.

For the most part, Duke can point to lots of players that were ranked outside the top 25 and still played a significant role in their time at Duke, like Javin DeLaurier, Josh Hairston, and even Joey Baker. Stewart appears to be a multi-positional defender with very good athleticism. I bet he can play as a freshman, even just a few minutes, and not be a liability while he's out there. If he is committed to improving and develops his jump shot or some polish on the offensive end, he may blossom into something down the line. It happens all the time, even at Duke. Justin Robinson, Jordan Goldwire, and others have shown they can do it. Heck, even Javin DeLaurier is going to get a cup of coffee in the NBA (with an assist to COVID). Duke could be a great environment for him if he wants it. He seems like a great kid from a great family. I look forward to seeing how he develops in high school and at Duke.
    I agree with you thesis here, but wanted to point out that Justin Robinson and Jordan Goldwire were ranked nowhere close to Stewart. Stewart is a much higher rated prospect.

Coach Scheyer’s recruiting is so effective that NBA players are now enrolling their newborn boys on his Class of 2039 recruitment lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I agree with you thesis here, but wanted to point out that Justin Robinson and Jordan Goldwire were ranked nowhere close to Stewart. Stewart is a much higher rated prospect.
    Yeah. Hairston and DeLaurier are much better analogs. Maybe Matt Jones or Quinn Cook.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yeah. Hairston and DeLaurier are much better analogs. Maybe Matt Jones or Quinn Cook.
    As I said on the pod, when he visited campus Duke showed Sean tape of Amile Jefferson. I think Amile and Lance Thomas are very good comps for what we could get from Sean (and it is worth noting that both Amile and Lance made some money in the NBA, which is always the goal for these kids).

As I said on the pod, when he visited campus Duke showed Sean tape of Amile Jefferson. I think Amile and Lance Thomas are very good comps for what we could get from Sean (and it is worth noting that both Amile and Lance made some money in the NBA, which is always the goal for these kids).
    And he has Amile to coach him — not a bad thing!

Must be doing a road trip -- over 400 miles to College Station.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

And both played major roles on NCAA title teams. Which also is a goal. One would hope.

And two of our best front court defenders ever. If he’s that good defensively he will make a huge impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    That was a little sloppy on my part. I meant to use Robinson and Goldwire as examples of players whose roles expanded over time. Stewart is much closer to DeLaurier, Hairston, Thomas, and Jefferson in terms of recruiting ranking.

Sean Stewart is working out in Los Angeles, and Jonathan Givony of ESPN/Draft Express posted a tweet and video interview with him, a couple of days after Givony did the same with Tyrese Proctor. (In case you missed it, I shared the Proctor interview in the "Tyrese Returning" DBR thread here.)

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Duke's Sean Stewart is putting in work getting ready for his freshman year. I talked to him about what he needs to work on to take the next step.

9:14 AM · May 29, 2023

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Sean Stewart is working out in Los Angeles, and Jonathan Givony of ESPN/Draft Express posted a tweet and video interview with him, a couple of days after Givony did the same with Tyrese Proctor. (In case you missed it, I shared the Proctor interview in the "Tyrese Returning" DBR thread here.)

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Duke's Sean Stewart is putting in work getting ready for his freshman year. I talked to him about what he needs to work on to take the next step.

9:14 AM · May 29, 2023
    Wow... I don't normally put too much stock into these things, but that video has me excited about Sean. I've been wondering where he might slot in during Year 1 given he probably needs more muscle to be a 5 but reportedly didn't have the full offensive repertoire of what we want out of a 4. But his shot looked good. Yes it's a handful of shots from a workout that he of course made, but it looked fundamentally sound. If you put his shot up next to Mark Mitchell's and blindly ask "who's the 35% 3 point shooter?", I'd probably pick Sean's. Doing it in a game is a whole different task, but I had no idea from the scouting reports that might even be in the cards in the near-term.

Given his reputation as a hustle/glue guy, if he can even shoot at a 30% clip from deep he's going to get good minutes this season... even more so if we strike out on the transfer 5 market.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!