Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 244
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok, to re-consolidate the list with the pending hires (just to help keep things straight, agree that nothing is certain until the announcement, and apparently even after the announcement for the recruiting staff):

    Kevin Johns: OC/QB
    Robb Smith: DC/LBs
    Trooper Taylor: RBs
    Ishmael Aristide: CBs
    Harland Bower: DEs
    Patrick Dougherty: Special Teams/TEs
    Lyle Hemphill: Safeties
    Sean Spencer: Co-DC/DTs (unconfirmed)
    Adam Cushing: OL (unconfirmed)
    Zohn Burden: WR/passing game coordinator (unconfirmed but reported as "finalized" by Thamel)

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Ishmael Aristide is a great name.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ishmael Aristide is a great name.
    Wonder if his parents were Moby Dick fans?

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Zohn may be unconfirmed, but he apparently is already recruiting and making offers.


    Kevin White
    @KevinWhite05
    After a great talk with
    @CoachZohn
    I am blessed to receive an offer from Duke university
    @RivalsFriedman

    @BrianDohn247

    @NCAAFNation247
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Bob said 9. The internet says 10.
    I am wrong. The number changed to 10 a few years ago.
    Bob Green

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    He's a UChicago grad and was on the staff at Northwestern for a long time (14 years), so certainly is academically oriented. I was a bit surprised a Head Coach would make the move to be an OL coach, but he did compile a record of 3-26, including 1-10 in 2021 as the HC. So, he probably didn't see much promise sticking around...

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He's a UChicago grad and was on the staff at Northwestern for a long time (14 years), so certainly is academically oriented. I was a bit surprised a Head Coach would make the move to be an OL coach, but he did compile a record of 3-26, including 1-10 in 2021 as the HC. So, he probably didn't see much promise sticking around...
    A head coach of a bad mid-major program. Yeah, he was likely not long for the job anyway. And at least this offers the opportunity for upward mobility for a job within the Power-5 conferences.

  9. #209
    I really like this staff! The coaches are younger. The coaches are from many different parts of the country. The composition reinforces Duke’s national university recognition. In my opinion, this points to a vision aligned and to scale. I felt in the last few years, Duke Football acted regionally- Southeastern Region.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    A head coach of a bad mid-major program. Yeah, he was likely not long for the job anyway. And at least this offers the opportunity for upward mobility for a job within the Power-5 conferences.
    This is true...but what's also true is that with Duke's newly rejuvenated football budget, a guy can make a very good living as an assistant...given where we've been snatching our new coaches from, I suspect Nina is paying very well.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    socal/mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He's a UChicago grad and was on the staff at Northwestern for a long time (14 years), so certainly is academically oriented. I was a bit surprised a Head Coach would make the move to be an OL coach, but he did compile a record of 3-26, including 1-10 in 2021 as the HC. So, he probably didn't see much promise sticking around...
    Eastern IL has some history of success but very limited resources. I saw somewhere he was making like $180K as HC, so Duke can offer him a nice raise. Hopefully he lasts another 14 years at Duke!

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    socal/mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Ok, to re-consolidate the list with the pending hires (just to help keep things straight, agree that nothing is certain until the announcement, and apparently even after the announcement for the recruiting staff):

    Kevin Johns: OC/QB
    Robb Smith: DC/LBs
    Trooper Taylor: RBs
    Ishmael Aristide: CBs
    Harland Bower: DEs
    Patrick Dougherty: Special Teams/TEs
    Lyle Hemphill: Safeties
    Sean Spencer: Co-DC/DTs (unconfirmed)
    Adam Cushing: OL (unconfirmed)
    Zohn Burden: WR/passing game coordinator (unconfirmed but reported as "finalized" by Thamel)
    Very impressive staff that checks all the boxes: a former HC (Cushing) as a sounding board for Elko, one Duke holdover for continuity/knowledge (Trooper), some NFL juice (Spencer), several ace recruiters from critical regions, and a critical mass of history/success at academically rigorous schools (particularly in the Big 10). Having two DCs with P5 success on his traditional side of the ball will presumably limit the extent to which Coach Elko has to stay in the weeds on defense, too.

    From a glance at the new staffs at UVA and Va Tech, I couldn't find any coach on either that I'd prefer to our guys. Our offensive staff in particular stands out, with an established OC vs. guys stepping up in level/responsibility.

    Despite the most challenging coaching market in history, Coach Elko did a fantastic job of setting expectations and delivering on his promise.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Most of them have reps as very good recruiters...hopeful that bears fruit soon. I expect more aggressive recruiting over a wider geographic area.

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N. Charleston, SC
    While out recruiting, Duke has made the Coach Burden announcement official
    The offensive coaching side complete.

    Coach Burden has an impressive resume, with knowledge of the ACC from his time at Va Tech.

    Excited for the future, I am

    https://twitter.com/pdduke85/status/...302177795?s=21

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    While out recruiting, Duke has made the Coach Burden announcement official
    The offensive coaching side complete.

    Coach Burden has an impressive resume, with knowledge of the ACC from his time at Va Tech.

    Excited for the future, I am

    https://twitter.com/pdduke85/status/...302177795?s=21
    Welcome Coach Burden! Another excellent recruiter with a lot of ACC coaching experience.

    https://goduke.com/news/2022/1/15/fo...ers-coach.aspx
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Welcome Coach Burden! Another excellent recruiter with a lot of ACC coaching experience.

    https://goduke.com/news/2022/1/15/fo...ers-coach.aspx
    Damn, I wouldn’t want to drop a pass and have him in my grill. Pretty intense photo there, Coach!
    Birds aren’t real. Do your own research!

  17. #217
    Sean Spencer’s stay was very short. Moving on to coach DL at Florida.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by RocBball11 View Post
    Sean Spencer’s stay was very short. Moving on to coach DL at Florida.
    Ouch. That's two quick departures now (the other being recruiting staff, not a coach). That was a big get, curious to see who we'll get instead.

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Ouch. That's two quick departures now (the other being recruiting staff, not a coach). That was a big get, curious to see who we'll get instead.
    So, less of a Spicer and more of a Scaramucci.
    Birds aren’t real. Do your own research!

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by RocBball11 View Post
    Sean Spencer’s stay was very short. Moving on to coach DL at Florida.
    So he is Spencer for hire? Too bad.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Football Transfer Portal Watch 2021
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 01-11-2022, 02:20 PM
  2. Heisman Watch 2021
    By tommy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2021, 11:46 AM
  3. Duke Football 2021
    By chrishoke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1063
    Last Post: 11-18-2021, 03:45 PM
  4. Football staff changes
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 11:54 AM
  5. Meet the new Duke Football Coaching Staff
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 08:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •