Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    He should get a lot of PT. On the other hand, if he does well, I don't know how much it will say about how he will do against better competition.
    True, but I think we'll be able to tell if he's made progress, at least to some degree.

Also, we don't have to worry about better competition for a while, since we're playing three not strong teams this week and then ACC play starts for Duke on 12-22, so Duke won't play a ranked team until March. (I'm here all week.)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Don't have much to write about the opponent. The wife and I welcomed a brand new Dukie. I am hoping to watch the game with him between feedings and diaper changes. We are hoping to nod off in the second half without missing any of the important parts of the game. Let's Go Duke!

Attachment 13858
    man, i wish i'd gotten that national deal on that blanket that every newborn in the country is wrapped in...

CONGRATS!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think the poster was asking about time to go home. So the two weeks off at exam time doesn't seem terribly relevant.
    the basketball team had no thanksgiving tournament, so players could spend the full 23-28th at home. nearly a week. Further, they'll have a full week over christmas. Lets compare this to past years, just using the endpoints for the computation, and no break meaning <=4 days

2021: 7 days and 7 days
    2019: no break and 9 days
    2018: 6 days and 15 days
    2017: no break and 10 days
    2016: no break and 10 days
    2015: no break and 9 days

So I stand my ground. on the whole, the breaks are fully in line with, and actually more genorous than most, prior years, with a slightly longer break at thanksgiving which usually doesn't exist at all (even when discounting when the students had to be back for classes resuming) and a slightly shorter break at christmas.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the basketball team had no thanksgiving tournament, so players could spend the full 23-28th at home. nearly a week. Further, they'll have a full week over christmas. Lets compare this to past years, just using the endpoints for the computation, and no break meaning <=4 days

2021: 7 days and 7 days
    2019: no break and 9 days
    2018: 6 days and 15 days
    2017: no break and 10 days
    2016: no break and 10 days
    2015: no break and 9 days

So I stand my ground. on the whole, the breaks are fully in line with, and actually more genorous than most, prior years, with a slightly longer break at thanksgiving which usually doesn't exist at all (even when discounting when the students had to be back for classes resuming) and a slightly shorter break at christmas.
    What schedule are you looking at? They played The Citadel the Monday before Thanksgiving then Gonzaga in Vegas the day after Thanksgiving? Then they went back to Durham for a few days then out to Columbus to play Ohio State the Tuesday after Thanksgiving?

The game on Dec. 22 is 9 pm in Durham, then there is a 2 pm game on the 29th at Clemson. Guys who are relatively local can likely go home on the 23rd and come back the morning of the 26th. Paolo is not going to fly cross country for three days. I assume that his NIL money can pay for his family to come to him.

Again, I am not losing sleep over any of this but was just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    What schedule are you looking at?
    I think I was mis-computing how the gap aligned with tgiving...perhaps looking at the december break.

In either case, the team definitely has a longer consecutive break from basketball, even though as you say, they would not be able to go home due to classes, when typically there is a much shorter break there for exams...whether that weights against a shorter break at christmas? Yeah that's a harder case to make. Either way, planes are fast. I suspect paolo will have no trouble getting home for christmas if the team are granted leave. I'm sure there are people here who do that kind of trip every week from monday->thursday.

I'm not sure how much control over league scheduling duke has anyway.
    April 1

Don't have much to write about the opponent. The wife and I welcomed a brand new Dukie. I am hoping to watch the game with him between feedings and diaper changes. We are hoping to nod off in the second half without missing any of the important parts of the game. Let's Go Duke!

Attachment 13858
    Very happy for both Mom and Dad. It is a special gift-enjoy !

Congratulations to BDA and his entire family. We must now assume that your new-born has been recruited by Coach Scheyer to join a loaded class ! Again, Congratulations !

Attachment 13858
    Congratulations!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Attachment 13858
    Dear DBA,

Awwww...Congratulations to you and your wife on your newborn. He looks like he is happy, savoring Duke's past and future glory.

That said, you have set high expectations for us. We're disappointed by the lack of your typically astute analysis. I mean, what are his tendencies? Do you see him as a guy who lets the game come to him, or does he exploit opportunities to keep his parents awake at all times? How coach-able is he? That is, how well is his coaching of you coming along? Is he a vocal team leader? Do you see him attempting to integrate his own needs and goal with the team's needs and goals? Ok, not yet, maybe later.

Enjoy your precious gift, DBA!

hustleplays
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Attachment 13858
    Mazel Tov!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I’m expecting a blow out, and every walk-on to score.

Especially since I’ll be there
    DBA has to be concerned about the blowout!
    Congrats

Blow out isn't even a possibility...

It's a guarantee. This is by faaaaaar the worst team Duke will face all year.

I want to see two things:

1) AJ Griffin getting extensive minutes (20+)

2) Keels and Roach knocking down shots.

That's it. If Moore/Banchero score less than 10 points combined, cool. If Williams doesn't register a block, cool. If the team plays horrible defense, cool. We know Duke can do all those things. But AJ playing and Keels/Roach knocking down shots are still unknowns. Let's work on that.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

That's it. If Moore/Banchero score less than 10 points combined, cool. If Williams doesn't register a block, cool. If the team plays horrible defense, cool. We know Duke can do all those things. But AJ playing and Keels/Roach knocking down shots are still unknowns. Let's work on that.
    Kudos flyingdutchdevil. I would love to see AJ get a lot of minutes and let’s work on 3 pt. shooting. Amping up for the start of conf. play, we will be going to a strictly 8 man rotation. AJ is going to need to really be a vital weapon for us to compete for a natty. At least that’s my view. Looking forward to seeing them play again after two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

I agree with everything except the comment about defense. Great defenses do not take plays off. They attack and harass and deny until the other team quits mentally and emotionally. This team has shown the ability to be a great defense. It's not there yet. I want to see them practice the mindset needed to be great, put out the relentless effort up and down the roster, nail the defensive scheme/rotations, and dominate that side of the contest for 40 minutes. I want them to impose their will on the opponent.

I probably should have started this off with "Dear Santa, all I really want for Christmas is . . . "

Two words

Virginia - Chaminade.

Never take an opponent for granted, no matter how outmatched they are. When a team plays their 99th percentile game, they can beat you. Don't let that happen.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Never take an opponent for granted
    "Never tell me the odds!"
    -- Stephen Fuller Austin, Texas settler, 1825

I wonder if Mike Elko will be in attendance... Are the students still there, or is it semester break?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I wonder if Mike Elko will be in attendance... Are the students still there, or is it semester break?
    students are gone. there will be some there, I'm sure, regardless. I'll be in the band tonight

In any case, not only would I expect him to be in attendance, I would be very disappointed if they didn't introduce him on court during the game. If they believe the program starts NOW, then they need to be getting people excited starting tonight.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    students are gone. there will be some there, I'm sure, regardless. I'll be in the band tonight

In any case, not only would I expect him to be in attendance, I would be very disappointed if they didn't introduce him on court during the game. If they believe the program starts NOW, then they need to be getting people excited starting tonight.
    yes, that was what I was thinking...he wants the students on his side...

While not the typical Cameron audience, everyone there tonight (some students, alumni, locals, even South Carolinian visitors) would benefit from an appearance from Coach Elko.

Like Brian Kelly at LSU, he should demonstrate hilariously immediate assimilation, and tell the crowd that Durham BBQ rules and Texas BBQ sucks.

ETA: Actually, he should attend tomorrow's WBB game. Arguably better coverage.