Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    There is no reason to keep anyone; start fresh and remove the rot
    I would not be upset if we went that direction, I've just come around to the idea of keeping one or two guys around if it fits what Elko wants to do. I certainly wouldn't want him forced or even encouraged to do so by the admin, 100% what he thinks his best for his program.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    FWIW, I don't think there is any way you can retain all those guys unfortunately. Doesn't leave enough space for Elko to bring in his own guys. But I think we retain some.
    Agreed, that’s what I meant — if you were going to choose any to stay, that would be the pool from which you would choose.

Well, we have at least two former Duke players on staff — I think they have a perspective and connection to the players that might help a coach that is new to the school. And I’m an Albert fan.

But ultimately, my base hope is that the school gives Elko adequate resources and then lets him do what he feels best. If that happens, I’m cool.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Well, we have at least two former Duke players on staff — I think they have a perspective and connection to the players that might help a coach that is new to the school. And I’m an Albert fan.

But ultimately, my base hope is that the school gives Elko adequate resources and then lets him do what he feels best. If that happens, I’m cool.
    Well, I am not so much thinking football on the field, but all the things off the field that could happen to the 100+ players and their families that will have to be dealt with. While there are counselors, administrators in the Athletic Department, one or two coaches who know the players on the field could be invaluable.

Those are logistics and overhead activities, you say? Well, the things that are wrong with Star Wars are not the physics so much, but the fact that the fighters fought all over the galaxy for years and years without apparently ever refueling, re-arming, or performing regular maintenance or anything else on the various star ships and fighters.

Hah! The US Air Force and the other services have things called "sortie-generation models" that calculate the resources in equipment, personnel of various skills, fuel, armaments, etc. that are necessary to generate sorties at a given rate (one per day per fighter, e.g.). Pilots are just a fraction of flight-line personnel for any wing.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 12-11-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Coach Elko has had multiple opportunities to leave for a HC position before now. He had no need to move if he didn't want to move. To me, that makes it safe to assume that (1) Duke is going to give Elko plenty of leeway to select his own staff, as Elko wouldn't come here without that guarantee, and (2) Elko felt the timing was right to assemble the people he wanted on his staff to build a program.

That's one reason that it would not surprise me to see Elijah Robinson come with Coach Elko. As beloved as Robinson is at A&M, for both his recruiting and his coaching, there seems to be a fairly significant contingent that does not want to see Robinson elevated to DC, because of his lack of experience with play-calling, etc. If Elko wants Robinson to be a key part of his program, Robinson can be DC at Duke, while still coaching the DL, and learn on the job with Elko's guidance. Jimbo came up through the offensive side of things, so as DC at A&M Robinson would be mostly on his own. Robinson as DC might have some rough patches initially, and Duke would have to open their wallet to counterbalance what A&M is likely to throw at Robinson, but that feels workable for Duke.

For the OC, I'd expect somebody with whom Elko has previous connections. Again, this feels to me like Elko decided this offseason was when he wanted to make his move, so my hope is that the people Elko wants for key positions are also ready to move.

As for the existing Duke coaching staff, it would not surprise me if Duke kept one of the coaches on the above list, and it wouldn't surprise me if Duke didn't. Stating the obvious, keeping one of them would fully depend upon Elko's opinion of that coach, not some edict or desire to clean house.

yeah, I can't think of one we really need. Having said that, if Elko really wants to retain one or two for good reason, I imagine he's a better judge than I am, but I don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, I am not so much thinking football on the field, but all the things off the field that could happen to the 100+ players and their families that will have to be dealt with. While there are counselors, administrators in the Athletic Department, one or two coaches who know the players on the field could be invaluable.

Those are logistics and overhead activities, you say? Well, the things that are wrong with Star Wars are not the physics so much, but the fact that the fighters fought all over the galaxy for years and years without apparently ever refueling, re-arming, or performing regular maintenance or anything else on the various star ships and fighters.

Hah! The US Air Force and the other services have things called "sortie-generation models" that calculate the resources in equipment, personnel of various skills, fuel, armaments, etc. that are necessary to generate sorties at a given rate (one per day per fighter, e.g.). Pilots are just a fraction of flight-line personnel for any wing.
    I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with the Duke coaching staff? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a struggling program, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

Oh well done.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Guys I could cool with keeping around (but not necessarily at their current title):
    Re'quan Boyette (Duke guy, liked what he did with running backs)
    Jeff Faris (Duke guy, supposed to be good recruiter, not a good OC or especially good WR coach IMO)
    Ben Albert (wondering aloud whether he would have any special teams chops) - I was really impressed by the way he lead the charge to keep this class intact during the search, he may have his eye on an HC job of his own
    Greg Frey (Other people are very high on him apparently)
    Maybe find a spot somewhere for Austin Davis (Duke guy)

Oh, and did anyone know Kyle Singler's cousin Mitch was on the staff?
    While I'm certainly not complaining, I do notice that the one guy that was left running the ship, Trooper Taylor, didn't make your cut.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with the Duke coaching staff? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a struggling program, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.
    Must spread Chewie Sporks.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, I can't think of one we really need. Having said that, if Elko really wants to retain one or two for good reason, I imagine he's a better judge than I am, but I don't see that happening.

Hiring a full staff sounds like a lot of work. I'd be surprised if Elko does that. And some staff decisions may need to be based on recruiting. There may be recruits that Elko would like to keep and some staff continuity may be needed to maximize the incoming class.

My guess is that he will talk to the current staff, evaluate them and the incoming class and keep a handful of the coaches. We're also sort of assuming that all of them want to stay. Some of the better coaches may already be interviewing elsewhere. There's a lot of new staffs being put together...

That said, I'd be surprised and a little disappointed if either coordinator position comes from the current staff.

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    Hiring a full staff sounds like a lot of work. I'd be surprised if Elko does that. And some staff decisions may need to be based on recruiting. There may be recruits that Elko would like to keep and some staff continuity may be needed to maximize the incoming class.

My guess is that he will talk to the current staff, evaluate them and the incoming class and keep a handful of the coaches. We're also sort of assuming that all of them want to stay. Some of the better coaches may already be interviewing elsewhere. There's a lot of new staffs being put together...

That said, I'd be surprised and a little disappointed if either coordinator position comes from the current staff.
    I think this is the most complete take.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post

As for the existing Duke coaching staff, it would not surprise me if Duke kept one of the coaches on the above list, and it wouldn't surprise me if Duke didn't.
    So, you're not expecting to be surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post

Surprised wouldn't be the term I'd use if either coordinator comes from the current staff. There's zero chance that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Surprised wouldn't be the term I'd use if either coordinator comes from the current staff. There's zero chance that happens.
    I'm not going to share my baseless speculation on what I think our coordinator pay scales are but yeah I don't think anyone on the current staff would fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I'd love to see Elko hire Warren Ruggiero, but agree that is highly unlikely.
    I was kind of hoping for Ruggerio as HC...That's before Elko got in the mix. Elko seems like a great hire, but it won't work without the right OC regardless of whatever else he does.

Ruggerio's been Clawon's secret weapon, for 10 plus seaons, and WF keeps finding these little recruited QBs and turning them into really good college QBs and putting up big points almost every year. That's Ruggerio.

He's certainly looking for a step up, probably thought his boss would leave for a big time program allowing Warren to be HC at Wake of OC/QB coach at a big time program. I can't imagine he's okay with staying Clawson's OC QB coach at WF any longer. But he would not come to Duke in any position but HC....even though he and Elko have worked together.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I was kind of hoping for Ruggerio as HC...That's before Elko got in the mix. Elko seems like a great hire, but it won't work without the right OC regardless of whatever else he does.

Ruggerio's been Clawon's secret weapon, for 10 plus seaons, and WF keeps finding these little recruited QBs and turning them into really good college QBs and putting up big points almost every year. That's Ruggerio.

He's certainly looking for a step up, probably thought his boss would leave for a big time program allowing Warren to be HC at Wake of OC/QB coach at a big time program. I can't imagine he's okay with staying Clawson's OC QB coach at WF any longer. But he would not come to Duke in any position but HC...even though he and Elko have worked together.
    Right... 1. it's a lateral move; 2. Elko would be poaching him from Clawson; 3. did I mention it's a lateral move... I would love to see it, but it's highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Right... 1. it's a lateral move;
    I agree Ruggerio isn’t coming to Duke but lateral moves happen. Jim Knowles went from DC at Duke to DC at Oklahoma State to DC at Ohio State.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jim Knowles went from DC at Duke to DC at Oklahoma State to DC at Ohio State.
    I’m not sure that the salary bumps were lateral in that example though. It also seems to me that each of those steps was to a higher-level program.

I do agree, though, that Wake to Duke is at best lateral. And right now, perhaps not even so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree Ruggerio isn’t coming to Duke but lateral moves happen. Jim Knowles went from DC at Duke to DC at Oklahoma State to DC at Ohio State.
    Ruggerio would not come to Duke for the OC/QB coach spot, for sure. Just for the heck of it, since it's settled...do you think he would've come if offered HC? Don't you think he's looking to move up after 10 years with Clawson as OC/QB coach?