Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Offensive Coordinator Speculation

I'm very excited for Coach Elko and I have faith the defense is going to improve, but I think the offensive coordinator position hire is going to be critical. I'm interested who people would like us to hire and any rumors floating around. To kick things off, here are a few names I've thought of:

Dan Mullen- big name and I'd assume he's going to move back to OC next, but we'd likely be competing with some big names for him.

Joe Brady- another big name that we'd likely have a lot of competition for.

Steve Spurrier Jr- Duke grad, could be looking to move up from WR coach.

Kurt Roper- had some success as Duke's OC and is back in the ACC as NC State's RB coach. I'm guessing he wouldn't really be an option given how closely tied he is with Cut and because his brother is not likely to be retained.

Warren Ruggiero- Wake Forest OC who has a lot of history with Coach Elko. I'd love this, but I'm guessing Elko isn't going to poach from Clawson.

Scottie Montgomery- Duke grad, also had some success as a Duke assistant; currently RB coach for the Indianapolis Colts.

Any other names people would like us to target?

Excellent question, and a big part of the puzzle.

Love me some Scottie, but I seem to recall most folks being happy when he moved on from the staff and his tenure at ECU was abysmal. A polite but firm pass from me.

Put me in the “no more Ropers” camp as well.

Not really sure if there are too many established P5 OC candidates looking to move from their current job to Duke, unless they have a personal tie to Elko or unless they worked on a staff that just got released or may well be (i.e. LSU, ND, Oklahoma, etc). And I’m not sure who those folks are. I wonder if we’re likely to get an up-and-coming position coach that Elko thinks will work.

Thanks for raising the question, and I look forward to thoughts from those more knowledgeable than moi. Which is about everyone here.

I think OC is his most important hire. NO clue as to who as long as it’s not a Roper.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

UVA had a good offense this year — how about taking a look at Bronco’s OC and see if he will be available with the regime change? Also would love to get some former Duke players on staff like Thad Lewis or Anthony Boone but not in a coordinator role yet.

Chip Long was OC at Notre Dame during the one year Elko was there, so wonder if that would be a possibility?

Tony Alford (assistant head coach and running backs coach at Ohio State) would be interesting.

Justin Fuente and Skip Holtz are both back on the market (both are former OCs).

I'd love to see Elko hire Warren Ruggiero, but agree that is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by polaremu View Post
    I'm very excited for Coach Elko and I have faith the defense is going to improve, but I think the offensive coordinator position hire is going to be critical. I'm interested who people would like us to hire and any rumors floating around. To kick things off, here are a few names I've thought of:

Dan Mullen- big name and I'd assume he's going to move back to OC next, but we'd likely be competing with some big names for him.

Joe Brady- another big name that we'd likely have a lot of competition for.

Steve Spurrier Jr- Duke grad, could be looking to move up from WR coach.

Kurt Roper- had some success as Duke's OC and is back in the ACC as NC State's RB coach. I'm guessing he wouldn't really be an option given how closely tied he is with Cut and because his brother is not likely to be retained.

Warren Ruggiero- Wake Forest OC who has a lot of history with Coach Elko. I'd love this, but I'm guessing Elko isn't going to poach from Clawson.

Scottie Montgomery- Duke grad, also had some success as a Duke assistant; currently RB coach for the Indianapolis Colts.

Any other names people would like us to target?
    Elk is going to bring in who he wants. Having a previous affiliation for duke is not going to move the needle for guys like spurrier, roper, and scottie. Regime changes are regime changes. Coaches don't typically pick up all the guys from the previous regime.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Elk is going to bring in who he wants. Having a previous affiliation for duke is not going to move the needle for guys like spurrier, roper, and scottie. Regime changes are regime changes. Coaches don't typically pick up all the guys from the previous regime.
    While I'm sure everyone under Cut was a nice guy, I'd be very happy if Elko came in with a very large broom and left no dust behind.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Agreed. Mike Elko is a smart guy (history UPenn) who has been in coaching over 20 years.He knows or knows of everyone in FBS coaching, and, as a candidate for head coach for a number of years, likely has definitive thoughts. Questions are -- what's his budget for assistants, what style of offense would be best for Duke?

Will anyone be held over from Cut's staff? I expect one or two to beheld over -- some continuity is good. Duke and Duke athletics have their ways of doing business -- I'd hate to be starting with an entire staff of people new to Duke.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Agreed. Mike Elko is a smart guy (history UPenn) who has been in coaching over 20 years.He knows or knows of everyone in FBS coaching, and, as a candidate for head coach for a number of years, likely has definitive thoughts. Questions are -- what's his budget for assistants, what style of offense would be best for Duke?

Will anyone be held over from Cut's staff? I expect one or two to beheld over -- some continuity is good. Duke and Duke athletics have their ways of doing business -- I'd hate to be starting with an entire staff of people new to Duke.
    agree. there is some lay of hte land kind of thing, but you don't reserve that for your most important assistants, the coordinators.
    April 1

My memory (poor source) tells me Coach Cutcliffe held over one guy from Roof’s staff the S&C coach. Every coordinator and position coach was new.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

That makes sense, of course, but like I alluded to above, I'm very happy with a clean slate. The last three years have left that bad of a taste in my mouth. The assistants obviously were not getting it done, so why hold onto someone when there is someone of more value available?
    That being said, it's not impossible for both of us to have our wishes be granted. If Elko pulls in someone from Duke's past that is worthy of returning, I'm all for it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'd consider Albert. If Elko is able to bring Elijah Robinson from A&M then perhaps you have one coach DL and the other coach LBs. Roper seemed good with the TEs, but left lacking in the OC department, but he might be another to consider retaining. Not sure who else on staff, though. Were I Elko, I might retain only Albert or simply clean house. There will be a learning curve regardless, and not sure how much it will help to retain any of the existing coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I'd consider Albert. If Elko is able to bring Elijah Robinson from A&M then perhaps you have one coach DL and the other coach LBs. Roper seemed good with the TEs, but left lacking in the OC department, but he might be another to consider retaining. Not sure who else on staff, though. Were I Elko, I might retain only Albert or simply clean house. There will be a learning curve regardless, and not sure how much it will help to retain any of the existing coaches.
    Big fat gigantic huge NO

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I'd consider Albert. If Elko is able to bring Elijah Robinson from A&M then perhaps you have one coach DL and the other coach LBs.
    If Elijah Robinson comes with Coach Elko, he will be the Defensive Coordinator.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Big fat gigantic huge NO
    Seconded. Roper is the poster child for assistant coach who should have been fired several seasons ago.
    Bob Green

Big fat gigantic huge NO
    Ha! Tell me how you really feel about Roper.

As I said—were I Elko, I might retain only Albert or simply clean house, and I think cleaning house is likely the way to go here. I simply don't think there's much benefit in holding over any of the previous coaching staff. My bet is Elko cleans house, and starts with a nice, shiny new coaching staff.

Big fat gigantic huge NO
    Guys I could cool with keeping around (but not necessarily at their current title):
    Re'quan Boyette (Duke guy, liked what he did with running backs)
    Jeff Faris (Duke guy, supposed to be good recruiter, not a good OC or especially good WR coach IMO)
    Ben Albert (wondering aloud whether he would have any special teams chops) - I was really impressed by the way he lead the charge to keep this class intact during the search, he may have his eye on an HC job of his own
    Greg Frey (Other people are very high on him apparently)
    Maybe find a spot somewhere for Austin Davis (Duke guy)

Oh, and did anyone know Kyle Singler's cousin Mitch was on the staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Guys I could cool with keeping around (but not necessarily at their current title):
    Re'quan Boyette (Duke guy, liked what he did with running backs)
    Jeff Faris (Duke guy, supposed to be good recruiter, not a good OC or especially good WR coach IMO)
    Ben Albert (wondering aloud whether he would have any special teams chops) - I was really impressed by the way he lead the charge to keep this class intact during the search, he may have his eye on an HC job of his own
    Greg Frey (Other people are very high on him apparently)
    Maybe find a spot somewhere for Austin Davis (Duke guy)

Oh, and did anyone know Kyle Singler's cousin Mitch was on the staff?
    I think this is the pool of candidates for retention.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think this is the pool of candidates for retention.
    FWIW, I don't think there is any way you can retain all those guys unfortunately. Doesn't leave enough space for Elko to bring in his own guys. But I think we retain some.

There is no reason to keep anyone; start fresh and remove the rot