Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    JuJu on 9th street. AMAZING. Don't listen to these people. They are offering you nostalgia. I am offering you pure deliciousness. Mods, lock this thread.
    Hey -you're just trying to up your coundt of last posts/thread killers

A 9yo looking for a memorable Duke experience with Dad is Not about the eats. You go straight to the Student Union on campus and let him get whatever he wants. Then you hit the campus.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    juju is very tasty, but it's also tapas, which translates to "bite sized plates at full sized prices." So expect some tasty food, but expect to spend for it. I think I spent like 130$ the last time I went there with someone between food and drinks. I'm sure OP won't eat THAT much, but it gives an idea.
    I go there just fully expecting to Hemorrhage money. That is a fair assessment. There's no way I would ever pay more than $100 to go to a concert. There's no way I would pay $100 to watch The Blue Man Group or that weird French circus? I cannot derive that much pleasure from those things. But Tapas? Sign me up. I won't even look to see how much it cost. I'll just put my card down.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Asian tapas, and undeniably great food. But I agree, it's definitely on the pricey side, and it would take an adventurous 9-year-old to really appreciate it. I'd think the 9-year-old would prefer a few doors down at Burger Bach. Great burgers, sports on the TVs, friendly service. Still relatively pricey for a burger, but it's high-quality and a step-down price-wise from Juju. They can cater to both foodie or basic tastes. It's a smallish-chain, but well-run.
    That is a really good suggestions. I think they're very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I go there just fully expecting to Hemorrhage money. That is a fair assessment. There's no way I would ever pay more than $100 to go to a concert. There's no way I would pay $100 to watch The Blue Man Group or that weird French circus? I cannot derive that much pleasure from those things. But Tapas? Sign me up. I won't even look to see how much it cost. I'll just put my card down.
    haha i mean that's the attitude you gotta take. just look at the menu, point out everything that seems tasty, and go for it. You'll be hungry after either way
    April 1

I'm not as high as you guys on the bull durham. the selections in both beer and food are a bit sanitary. It's fine for a hotel bar, but I think there are more "flavorful" locations elsewhere. I'd much rather wings from bull mccabes, or a plate of BBQ from mavericks than a turkey and avocado sandwich with a side of chips from bull durham. Just not my jam unless I'm already at the hotel, or it's a nice day and I can sit out on the patio while watching golfers roll through. It just has very little vibe compared to more local places IMO. It's a hotel bar, and "sanitary".
    The food and drink are fine. But I enjoy it more for the setting. And I’d say it’s very “Duke” since that was the aim.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    The food and drink are fine. But I enjoy it more for the setting. And I’d say it’s very “Duke” since that was the aim.
    true, but if I were a kid, i'd be bored to tears there. I'd much rather be at bullocks where they have all sorts of memorabilia on the walls, or devines where I can get greasy chicken fingers.

A fancy wood-paneled place with a fireplace in the corner is not exactly full of stuff to excite most nine year olds, even if duke owns it. Same reason a 9 year old is probably going to have more fun at angus barn instead of Flemings <or insert steakhouse here>, despite the latter almost surely actually having better steaks.
    April 1

true, but if I were a kid, i'd be bored to tears there. I'd much rather be at bullocks where they have all sorts of memorabilia on the walls, or devines where I can get greasy chicken fingers.

A fancy wood-paneled place with a fireplace in the corner is not exactly full of stuff to excite most nine year olds, even if duke owns it.
    So, they do have a "wall of fame" deal where the wall when you come in has a bunch of signed photos from various celebrities (athletes, musicians, actors, politicians, etc), most from the 50s-80s (90s?) from what I recall. The average age of staff and patrons is probably somewhere around 60 or 70. I'm really not trying to rag on Bullocks here, as I have a ton of fond memories eating there with my dad before/after games, but the primary appeal of Bullocks at this point is nostalgia for people who used to eat there. I'm not sure it makes a good recommendation for newcomers.

Edit: One recommendation would be to google the places recommended above that you're considering and see if the images for any one of them strike you as the right vibe. The Student Union was also a great suggestion IMO (is it definitely open to the public right now?)

Pizzeria Toro

Cosmic Cantina on the outdoor patio

I'm not as high as you guys on the bull durham. the selections in both beer and food are a bit sanitary. It's fine for a hotel bar, but I think there are more "flavorful" locations elsewhere. I'd much rather wings from bull mccabes, or a plate of BBQ from mavericks than a turkey and avocado sandwich with a side of chips from bull durham. Just not my jam unless I'm already at the hotel, or it's a nice day and I can sit out on the patio while watching golfers roll through. It just has very little vibe compared to more local places IMO. It's a hotel bar, and "sanitary".
    You should try it during K Camp weekend. I lost count of how many current and former players plus other celebs we saw that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So, they do have a "wall of fame" deal where the wall when you come in has a bunch of signed photos from various celebrities (athletes, musicians, actors, politicians, etc), most from the 50s-80s (90s?) from what I recall. The average age of staff and patrons is probably somewhere around 60 or 70. I'm really not trying to rag on Bullocks here, as I have a ton of fond memories eating there with my dad before/after games, but the primary appeal of Bullocks at this point is nostalgia for people who used to eat there. I'm not sure it makes a good recommendation for newcomers.

Edit: One recommendation would be to google the places recommended above that you're considering and see if the images for any one of them strike you as the right vibe. The Student Union was also a great suggestion IMO (is it definitely open to the public right now?)
    granted, which is why I didn't even think to put bullocks on my initial list! Though they still have other duke stuff. And if ANY y'alls 9 year olds don't know who billy joel is, we need to have a talking to!

In any case, I think I was pointing out that the bar for "being more intrinsically interesting to a 9 year old than the bull durham" is pretty dang low. I also dispute that the bar is really much "duke" at all. You could pick up and drop that bar in any high end hotel in the country without changing a single thing, and it wouldn't miss a beat...that's how devoid of culture it is in my mind. I don't doubt that at times it can't be interesting due to the people who might be there for having stayed at the hotel, but I also would not go out of my way to eat there, and certainly would not take my kid there unless I were confident that we'd run into people who would make it worth my kid's time. I think the kids these days might call it "basic"

I'd sooner suggest devil's krafthouse...the environment is more exotic, generally hopping on game day (well, I haven't been this year, so don't know for sure), TVs all around, and far more entries to tempt your average 9 year old.
    April 1

My experiences entertaining guests with kids visiting for a game suggests either the Triangle chain Tobacco Road or the Southeastern chain Mellow Mushroom are your best bets.

I'll second the suggestions for the student union, now called The Brodhead Center. Multi-level glass and Duke stone is very entertaining for kids, plus much better food than you had in college, in great variety (Asian, Indian, Mexican, Italian, American, etc.). The Devils Krafthouse, in the old Hideaway location, is part of the collection of eateries, with beer added. There'll be lots of students readying themselves for the night in Cameron, plus fans cruising around. If the weather is decent you can grab your food and eat outside on the Plaza, where more people watching awaits. Barring epidemiological developments, it is open to the public.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    I'll second the suggestions for the student union, now called The Brodhead Center. Multi-level glass and Duke stone is very entertaining for kids, plus much better food than you had in college, in great variety (Asian, Indian, Mexican, Italian, American, etc.). The Devils Krafthouse, in the old Hideaway location, is part of the collection of eateries, with beer added. There'll be lots of students readying themselves for the night in Cameron, plus fans cruising around. If the weather is decent you can grab your food and eat outside on the Plaza, where more people watching awaits. Barring epidemiological developments, it is open to the public.
    If the game the OP ‘is attending is during the Christmas break, then I would check the schedule to see if the eateries in the Brodhead Center are open.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Cosmic Cantina on the outdoor patio
    Best option if it's 2am and you you're seeing double...or triple...and you just came back from Shooters...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Since we’re talking about a 9 year old, I think everything you need is in the Durham Central Park area! You’ve got Dames Chicken and Waffles, the Durham Food Hall, The Pit for bbq or King’s Sandwich Shop for a hotdog, french fries and a milk shake. Even better you can walk over to Boxcar Arcade for all kinds of games (they serve pizza there too) and if you are really brave, go next door to Urban Axes for some axe throwing practice! The main thing I recommend is to get to Cameron early to tour the Duke Hall of Fame — great stuff in there for the kid to see and to indoctrinate them into being a Blue Devil fan for life!

You do realize now that you will have to write back as to which place you chose plus a pic of the menu and a review… enquiring minds want to know for future expeditions to the new and improved Durham Experience. Good luck!

Super Cheese at the Rat!

My kid turns 28 next week (yes, I am that old), but he dug Bullocks at 10 and 12.