Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Whats the DUKE spot to eat with son before game??

Coming to a game at Cameron in a couple weeks and bringing my 9 year old son! Id like to make it a memorable DUKE experience for him- its a 9 PM tip so we have a ton of time to explore and do dinner before the game. Whats the best spots in the area for a dad and son to have dinner beforehand? Would love it to be a Duke themed spot if there is such a thing...kind of like TimeOut in Chapel Hill, Putters in Winston Salem, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VillainsCoach View Post
    Coming to a game at Cameron in a couple weeks and bringing my 9 year old son! Id like to make it a memorable DUKE experience for him- its a 9 PM tip so we have a ton of time to explore and do dinner before the game. Whats the best spots in the area for a dad and son to have dinner beforehand? Would love it to be a Duke themed spot if there is such a thing...kind of like TimeOut in Chapel Hill, Putters in Winston Salem, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!
    never thought of the LOOP as a great place, but i had one of the best grilled salmon sammiches there last week,,,,
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I am partial to bullocks barbecue. But it is what the name implies, not fancy foodie eating, not that there’s anything wrong with that…

Quote Originally Posted by VillainsCoach View Post
    bull mccabes, devines, mavericks would be my suggestions.
    1200. DDMF.

I love having a beer and a bite at the Bull Durham Bar at the WaDuke Inn.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    I am partial to bullocks barbecue. But it is what the name implies, not fancy foodie eating, not that there’s anything wrong with that…
    I agree on Bullocks, though I will defer to those who live closer to Duke. The OP asked for a place to bring a 9-year old so I'm guessing that fancy foodie eating was not on his radar (I have two boys roughly that age). I know there are some who have their issues with Bullocks, but I really like the food, it is definitely a "Duke/Durham" place, and a kid will enjoy it. Just make sure he doesn't drink too much sweet tea or he will spend the game running back and forth to the bathroom in Cameron.

I would probably put Devine's second.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree on Bullocks, though I will defer to those who live closer to Duke. The OP asked for a place to bring a 9-year old so I'm guessing that fancy foodie eating was not on his radar (I have two boys roughly that age). I know there are some who have their issues with Bullocks, but I really like the food, it is definitely a "Duke/Durham" place, and a kid will enjoy it. Just make sure he doesn't drink too much sweet tea or he will spend the game running back and forth to the bathroom in Cameron.

I would probably put Devine's second.
    I've got to be honest, leaving aside how you feel about their Q I think Bullocks would be among the last places I would describe as fun for kids.

Devines is probably your best bet, as someone noted (never been to Maverick's so can't speak to that). The Federal has a great burger (or at least I enjoyed it at the time), I'll let people who frequent it more than I do opine on whether it would be suitable for a daytime father/son trip.

If for whatever reason these options (and any others people suggest which are likely all great), your fallback options would probably be Carolina Ale House or Tobacco Road Sports Cafe. Both are local chains, so they have a chain vibe but definitely feature a lot of Triangle memorabilia and plenty of TV and good enough food.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I've got to be honest, leaving aside how you feel about their Q I think Bullocks would be among the last places I would describe as fun for kids.

Devines is probably your best bet, as someone noted (never been to Maverick's so can't speak to that). The Federal has a great burger (or at least I enjoyed it at the time), I'll let people who frequent it more than I do opine on whether it would be suitable for a daytime father/son trip.

If for whatever reason these options (and any others people suggest which are likely all great), your fallback options would probably be Carolina Ale House or Tobacco Road Sports Cafe. Both are local chains, so they have a chain vibe but definitely feature a lot of Triangle memorabilia and plenty of TV and good enough food.
    Tobacco Road's setting next to DBAP with views of the stadium and field is another selling point. They have a pretty complete kids menu, too.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Tobacco Road's setting next to DBAP with views of the stadium and field is another selling point. They have a pretty complete kids menu, too.
    I should have listed them in reverse order, I agree Tobacco Road's location puts it ahead of the Carolina Ale House.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I should have listed them in reverse order, I agree Tobacco Road's location puts it ahead of the Carolina Ale House.
    slow service, higher prices, and a worse beer selection at tobacco road than the ale house. but ale house has had staffing issues lately (was turned away on a thursday night since they didn't have a cook on hand). Still not a bad choice, but I'd go other places in durham first.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Seconded.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

We were down in Durham a number of years ago and my kids thoroughly enjoyed Dame's Chicken & Waffles.

https://dameschickenwaffles.com/
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The Q Shack

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Seconded.
    I'm not as high as you guys on the bull durham. the selections in both beer and food are a bit sanitary. It's fine for a hotel bar, but I think there are more "flavorful" locations elsewhere. I'd much rather wings from bull mccabes, or a plate of BBQ from mavericks than a turkey and avocado sandwich with a side of chips from bull durham. Just not my jam unless I'm already at the hotel, or it's a nice day and I can sit out on the patio while watching golfers roll through. It just has very little vibe compared to more local places IMO. It's a hotel bar, and "sanitary".
    1200. DDMF.

JuJu on 9th street. AMAZING. Don't listen to these people. They are offering you nostalgia. I am offering you pure deliciousness. Mods, lock this thread.

I'm wid you there. I'm not a discriminating beer drinker so any complaints about the beer selection are over my head. I love their Shrimp and Grits and they make a passable Old Fashioned so it's my number 1 fan affiliated waterin hole.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    JuJu on 9th street. AMAZING. Don't listen to these people. They are offering you nostalgia. I am offering you pure deliciousness. Mods, lock this thread.
    juju is very tasty, but it's also tapas, which translates to "bite sized plates at full sized prices." So expect some tasty food, but expect to spend for it. I think I spent like 130$ the last time I went there with someone between food and drinks. I'm sure OP won't eat THAT much, but it gives an idea.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    juju is very tasty, but it's also tapas, which translates to "bite sized plates at full sized prices." So expect some tasty food, but expect to spend for it. I think I spent like 130$ the last time I went there with someone between food and drinks. I'm sure OP won't eat THAT much, but it gives an idea.
    It's quality, not quantity.

Never been to JuJus, but I love me some tapas.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    It's quality, not quantity.

Never been to JuJus, but I love me some tapas.
    Asian tapas, and undeniably great food. But I agree, it's definitely on the pricey side, and it would take an adventurous 9-year-old to really appreciate it. I'd think the 9-year-old would prefer a few doors down at Burger Bach. Great burgers, sports on the TVs, friendly service. Still relatively pricey for a burger, but it's high-quality and a step-down price-wise from Juju. They can cater to both foodie or basic tastes. It's a smallish-chain, but well-run.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I'd have to sell my tickets to afford that place. But looks yummy!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!