Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The 'que is great there. The ambiance is okay. The location is terrible. And it does not have anything to do with 'Duke' (ie no Duke things on the wall, etc).

For a 'first time in Durham' meal, not sure this would be the place.

That said, it's my go-to when I'm back in Derm.
    Yeah, Q Shack is pretty darn good — went there a couple of weeks ago. It’s always the same, very consistent. I recommend the brisket and/or the ribs with cole slaw or potato salad, maybe both if you’re really hungry. The hush puppies are great if you eat them right away while they’re still hot. And their portions are generous. I wish they still offered onion rings. Not sure why they stopped.

And yes, the location is not the best, but it’s just down the road from Foster’s, Guglhupf, and Refectory Cafe, which are all quite good, especially Foster’s for brunch on the weekend. And no one seems to complain about their location. Q Shack is only one minute further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    Q-shack
    Nuvo Taco (next door to Q shack)
    Elmo’s on 9th are all great local spots when with kids
    Cosign on Elmo's. My kids enjoyed that as well and there's plenty to choose from. Plus it gives you a chance to walk around 9th Street.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, Q Shack is pretty darn good — went there a couple of weeks ago. It’s always the same, very consistent. I recommend the brisket and/or the ribs with cole slaw or potato salad, maybe both if you’re really hungry. The hush puppies are great if you eat them right away while they’re still hot. And their portions are generous. I wish they still offered onion rings. Not sure why they stopped.

And yes, the location is not the best, but it’s just down the road from Foster’s, Guglhupf, and Refectory Cafe, which are all quite good, especially Foster’s for brunch on the weekend. And no one seems to complain about their location. Q Shack is only one minute further down the road.
    If you get the brisket, please order the fatty brisket. Skinny brisket is pot roast.

...I wish they still offered onion rings. Not sure why they stopped...
    Maybe because the fried okra is excellent. As are the collards!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    If you get the brisket, please order the fatty brisket. Skinny brisket is pot roast.
    You got that right, pardner. I always tell them to leave the fat ON. 🤤

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    You know, you’re right; I had kind of forgotten about the fried okra. Years ago I used to get it quite often. I think I’m going to go back to it next time I’m there, which might be tomorrow.🤤 As an FYI, Rise over by Streets of Southpoint Mall, does a delicious fried okra.

And you’re also right about the collards, which are made fresh, not canned.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    You got that right, pardner. I always tell them to leave the fat ON. ��
    It's not about leaving the fat on or not. Fatty brisket comes from the point and lean brisket comes from the flat. Both are good. A well cooked BBQ brisket flat is certainly not pot roast, even if you prefer the point.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Ymm...fried okra...

Nuvo Taco

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    Q-shack
    Nuvo Taco (next door to Q shack)
    Elmo’s on 9th are all great local spots when with kids
    Great suggestions! I was unfamiliar with Nuvo Taco until this summer. Mexican cuisine generally has not been my favorite, but love their food.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    It's not about leaving the fat on or not. Fatty brisket comes from the point and lean brisket comes from the flat. Both are good. A well cooked BBQ brisket flat is certainly not pot roast, even if you prefer the point.
    You seem to know a lot about this, freshman. Are you sure you’re not a senior?

I’m not sure what you’re talking about in regard to Q Shack’s brisket because they first cut slices of brisket from the main section and at that point they can either remove the fat that’s on top or they can leave it on, depending upon your preference.

And by the way all of this Q Shack talk has gotten me so hungry that I decided to postpone a meeting that I had scheduled at 2:30 and just head over there now. Seriously.

Oh I think people who eat skinny brisket are asking to be judged. And found wanting. Fatty brisket is sublime. You got the skinny brisket term right: good. It's good. I ain't looking for good. Also I am bad for thread discipline. Carry on.

A Duke classmate will be in Durham in a few weeks with his pre-teen kids - he hasn't been back in a while, nor have I. We were discussing our old haunts and many are gone (Sat's, Honey's), and he mentioned that a lot of places are not open on Sunday nights (Bullock's, Hog Heaven, Q Shack). Any suggestions for a place to eat in Durham on a Sunday night with kids - I think they are about 10 and 12? Preferably low key, kid friendly, old school if possible.

Still surprised and sad Satisfaction is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    A Duke classmate will be in Durham in a few weeks with his pre-teen kids - he hasn't been back in a while, nor have I. We were discussing our old haunts and many are gone (Sat's, Honey's), and he mentioned that a lot of places are not open on Sunday nights (Bullock's, Hog Heaven, Q Shack). Any suggestions for a place to eat in Durham on a Sunday night with kids - I think they are about 10 and 12? Preferably low key, kid friendly, old school if possible.
    I think Devine's on Main St., which your friend should remember as being right across from Satisfaction, is open on Sunday evenings. I think Bull City Burger would be open as well. Bull City has better food, but I'd say hit Devine's for the nostalgia and to throw the new/old contrast on West Main into sharp relief.

Tobacco Road is decent. For good food, I'd recommend Pizzeria Toro, but maybe it's too fancy for the kids. The Parlour is a must-hit for dessert.

Bull McCabe’s is great. Slightly more upscale is the Jack Tar Diner. Pie Pushers is good pizza.

Having lived in Durham for the past 20 years and watching our grandchildren grow to teenagers and beyond, I would definitely recommend Elmo’s on 9th St. A great many choices, most kid friendly and if you can’t find something for yourself they have great French Toast. As someone else said, it’s also on 9th St!

Tobacco Road is decent. For good food, I'd recommend Pizzeria Toro, but maybe it's too fancy for the kids. The Parlour is a must-hit for dessert.
    Overlooks the Durham Bull stadium, which is awesome. Lots of TVs. Good beer selection. Typical sports bar food done slightly better.

Dame's still around? Fantastic chicken and waffles.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Tobacco Road is good, but I didn't mention it because because it seems like overkill for kids. It's a shame Tyler's Taproom closed a few years back. Elmo's is good but seems an odd choice for Sunday evening...

Maybe the kids would like Cosmic Cantina? 🙂

Or for a less rustic Mexican place, Torero's on Main St.