Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    San Francisco has to play a pair of games against decently rated opponents with start times less than 24 hours apart, in different venues in the greater Phoenix area.
    Trap game! San Francisco lost to Grand Canyon 49-48 yesterday, and still have to play Arizona State today. Despite its name, Grand Canyon University is based in Phoenix; its team was coached by "Thunder" Dan Majerle from 2013-2020 and is now coached by Bryce "Doesn't your underdog deserve Valpo?" Drew.

The other 6 teams won (or cancelled) their games this week. Here's their 2-week holiday outlook:

[2] Baylor (10-0): vs. [318] Alcorn State 12/20, vs. [334] Northwestern State 12/28, at [45] Iowa State 1/1
    [7] Arizona (11-0): at [9] Tennessee 12/22, at [8] UCLA 12/30, at [19] USC 1/2
    [10] LSU (11-0): vs. [258] Lipscomb 12/22, at [11] Auburn 12/29
    [19] USC (12-0): vs. [97] Arizona State 12/30, vs. [7] Arizona 1/2
    [35] Colorado State (10-0): at [228] New Mexico 12/28
    [45] Iowa State (11-0): vs. [353] Chicago State 12/21, vs. [2] Baylor 1/1

Notes:

* USC's 12/21 game vs. Oklahoma State in OKC is cancelled.
    * Colorado State's 12/21 game vs. Alabama in Birmingham is cancelled.

* The list of 6 will definitely reduce to 4 after New Year's weekend, as Baylor plays Iowa State and Arizona plays USC.
    * Arizona next plays three true road games against ranked opponents.

Bobby's ASU team had a six point lead but took a few bad shots that led to runouts the other way. They managed to get back to a one point lead, lost it and could have won the game, but missed their end of game shots. Final was 66-65. So USF, which took a one-point loss against Grand Canyon last night, still has a stellar record, 11-1.

But I am a little upset about how ASU essentially blew this game. The quick shots with the lead were not good ones, but seemed desperate and entirely unnecessary. There was plenty of time on the shot clock to look for better. And, they missed several bunnies on the way back. This should have been an ASU win.

[7] Arizona (11-0): at [9] Tennessee 12/22, at [8] UCLA 12/30, at [19] USC 1/2

* Arizona next plays three true road games against ranked opponents.
    That didn't take long. Arizona began their road trip with a loss at Tennessee 77-73.

LSU won tonight -- they beat Lipscomb by 35 -- and is one of 5 unbeaten teams left.

LSU won tonight -- they beat Lipscomb by 35 -- and is one of 5 unbeaten teams left.
    Not anymore. Apparently the last dozen or so truly healthy people in Louisiana are all part of LSU men's basketball, and they went to Auburn for a game last night. They failed to score a field goal in the first 10:46 of the game (the score was 18-1) and lost by a final score of 70-55. UNC transfer Walker Kessler had a triple-double for Auburn: 16 points, 10 rebounds, 11 blocks. It pains me a little to say that, but I think it pains UNC fans a little more.

4 unbeatens left: Baylor, USC, Colorado State, Iowa State. Will they all finish the season without a loss? Maybe.

4 unbeatens left: Baylor, USC, Colorado State, Iowa State. Will they all finish the season without a loss? Maybe.
    Better question - how many more opportunities will they have to lose?

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Better question - how many more opportunities will they have to lose?
    That would require a degree or two in epidemiology and knowledge of which conferences these four teams play these days (as opposed to ten years ago)!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    That would require a degree or two in epidemiology and knowledge of which conferences these four teams play these days (as opposed to ten years ago)!
    I don't have a degree in epidemiology, but I am a bit of a science geek.

Not anymore. Apparently the last dozen or so truly healthy people in Louisiana are all part of LSU men's basketball, and they went to Auburn for a game last night. They failed to score a field goal in the first 10:46 of the game (the score was 18-1) and lost by a final score of 70-55. UNC transfer Walker Kessler had a triple-double for Auburn: 16 points, 10 rebounds, 11 blocks. It pains me a little to say that, but I think it pains UNC fans a little more.

Highly doubtful. If there's an NCAA championship tournament this season, only one of those four teams could possibly finish undefeated.

Baylor and Iowa State are scheduled to play each other on Jan 1 and Mar 5. In most years, that would mean that at least one of them would certainly have a loss this season. In addition, both Baylor and Iowa State have two scheduled games against Kansas, and then there's the Big 12 tournament.

USC has very tough games scheduled with UCLA and Arizona. Colorado State has the best chance of being undefeated in the regular season, with no games scheduled against ranked opponents.

But with Covid looming, it's possible that all four of those teams could finish the season undefeated.

Do tell!

Is there a Holiday Inn Express involved?

Well one of the remaining unbeatens will fall today as #1 Baylor (12-0) faces #8 Iowa State (12-0) in a Big 12 Conference showdown on ESPNU.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Well one of the remaining unbeatens will fall today as #1 Baylor (12-0) faces #8 Iowa State (12-0) in a Big 12 Conference showdown on ESPNU.
    if there ever was an anecdote of how little basketball means to TV networks relative to football...it's the fact that what might be the biggest league game of the season is on ESPNU to keep room for also-ran bowl games.
    April 1

Baylor leading 41-33 at the half. The Cyclones are putting up a good fight, in front of a rowdy home crowd, but Baylor is pretty good.

Baylor leading 41-33 at the half. The Cyclones are putting up a good fight, in front of a rowdy home crowd, but Baylor is pretty good.
    Baylor wins 77-72. Iowa State had a good run at it but fell just short.

Baylor wins 77-72. Iowa State had a good run at it but fell just short.
    And the Walton Belt remains in Waco.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And the Walton Belt remains in Waco.
    The late Jerry Jeff Walker's version of the Charley Pride classic:
    "Is anybody goin' to San Antone
    Or Phoenix, Arizona?
    Any place is all right as long as I
    Don't have to go to Waco"

Biill Walton might personally agree.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The late Jerry Jeff Walker's version of the Charley Pride classic:
    "Is anybody goin' to San Antone
    Or Phoenix, Arizona?
    Any place is all right as long as I
    Don't have to go to Waco"

Biill Walton might personally agree.
    Won't somebody somewhere come up here and take me to Waco
    Cause I've got the blues
    These big city sidewalks just don't suit my shoes
    Won't somebody somewhere come up here and take me to Waco
    I'm tired of being alone
    I just ain't that tough, I think I've had enough
    I just want to go home

The music and the bright lights and the women and the wine
    Took all my money burned a hole in my mind
    Now the party is over and the good times are through
    The last bell is ringing
    The fat lady's singing
    And the moon just turned blue

I'd jump on a Greyhound, but I ain't got no money at all
    I'd hop me a freight train but I'm afraid I might fall
    I'd flag down a semi, put my thumb in the air
    Just give me a ride to the East Texas line
    I can walk home from there
    — Charlie Daniels

https://youtu.be/JQt-JPQdfGQ

3 unbeaten teams left. This is what their week looks like, for now:

[1] Baylor (13-0): vs. [36] Oklahoma 1/4, at [58] TCU 1/8
    [19] USC (12-0): at [109] California 1/6, at [86] Stanford 1/8
    [35] Colorado State (10-0): vs. [278] Air Force 1/4, at [51] Boise State 1/7

3 unbeaten teams left. This is what their week looks like, for now:

[1] Baylor (13-0): vs. [36] Oklahoma 1/4, at [58] TCU 1/8
    It is pretty incredible that Baylor is doing this after losing their 4 best starters. And it ain't like they brought in 3 top ten recruits and a slew of highly touted transfers. James Akinjo was a nice transfer from Arizona, but not a stud. Kendall Brown is a very good recruit, but the rest of the class is unheralded. This has largely been guys who had lesser roles stepping up when given the chance to shine. Really impressive player development happening there in Waco. This Scott Drew dude might be a decent coach.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Unbeaten on the women's side includes the 13-0 Heels, mainly because they have not played anybody. Their next 3 games are against their first ranked opponents of the year. GTHC GTH!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide