Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Read the Feinstein column. The "extension" of the Turgeon contract was a smokescreen -- it reduced the buyout amount.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The Maryland fans that I know are quite happy with the move to the big 10. They get way more football money for the school.

I wonder if they’ll go after Nate James? He’s from that area.
    Wojo and Dawkins too. And Nolan. But I would be shocked if Maryland took a Duke guy (though it did work quite well with Lefty).

When Gary left, Maryland was a premier job, but at this point I don’t really know anymore. It will be very interesting to see what type of talent they can attract. No one in the Gary Williams coaching tree has had a ton of recent success. Juan Dixon had been making steady progress improving Coppin State but they are off to a horrific start this year. I’m sure he will get a look but there are not a lot of obvious candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Wojo and Dawkins too. And Nolan. But I would be shocked if Maryland took a Duke guy (though it did work quite well with Lefty).

When Gary left, Maryland was a premier job, but at this point I don’t really know anymore. It will be very interesting to see what type of talent they can attract. No one in the Gary Williams coaching tree has had a ton of recent success. Juan Dixon had been making steady progress improving Coppin State but they are off to a horrific start this year. I’m sure he will get a look but there are not a lot of obvious candidates.
    playing in big 10, bball history...i imagine they will have no trouble finding a coach.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The Maryland fans that I know are quite happy with the move to the big 10. They get way more football money for the school.

I wonder if they’ll go after Nate James? He’s from that area.
    Stockholm Syndrome?
    Last edited by killerleft; 12-04-2021 at 01:04 AM.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Reminds me so much of Herb Sendek’s tenure at State. Good enough to make the tournament nearly every season, but not good enough to be a legitimate threat to win it all or even advance past the first weekend. Fans were constantly disappointed and vocally showed disapproval of their coach, which wore on him over time until he ultimately decided to bolt. (From what I’ve read, this was just as much about Turgeon wanting out as it was the school wanting to get rid of him.) The final straw appears to have been their loss to VT in which fans were booing him in their home stadium.

Unfortunately for Turgeon, one of their best teams in recent memory was lost during the COVID season of 2020. I think they were in the top 15. Maybe a deep run that year would have renewed their fans’ support.

It would be great if they kept Manning as head coach. Because he may be a wonderful person etc. etc., but he's an absolutely terrible basketball coach.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Read the Feinstein column. The "extension" of the Turgeon contract was a smokescreen -- it reduced the buyout amount.
    Interesting…I did read in the Feinstein article that they reduced the buyout with the contract extension, but I didn’t take it the next logical step….that maybe the contract extension was actually the first step in the “mutual” decision to part ways. Then add to that the fact that they hired Manning around the same time, it does seem like they were preparing for this, and just waiting (hoping?) for a couple losses to provide the excuse.

I hate to say this, but Jeff Capel's seat must be warm. Sure, they've lost a couple close ones, but they were outclassed by Vandy, which to be honest is not that good.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I hate to say this, but Jeff Capel's seat must be warm. Sure, they've lost a couple close ones, but they were outclassed by Vandy, which to be honest is not that good.
    I'd think it would be boiling hot.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd think it would be boiling hot.
    69-90 since Blake Griffin left OU, not adjusting for vacated results.

Turgeon's last 8 years versus Gary Williams last 8.

Giving Turgeon some chance to settle in (Williams took 6 years to finish above .500 in the ACC), Turgeon has actually done pretty well his last 8 years compared to William's final 8 at Maryland.

In his last 8 seasons, Williams finished above .500 twice in the ACC, was .500 twice and below .500 four times. He went 67-61 for a .523 conference winning %. He made 4 tournaments and never got out of the 2nd round.

Turgeon has gone 91-59 in the Big 10 for a .607 wining %. He made 5 tournaments and a Sweet 16. As someone mentioned, unfortunately for him one of his better teams was the 2020 team when the NCAA Tournament was canceled.

MBB: Louisville separates from Chris Mack

Mack [gets] the knife?

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Mack [gets] the knife?
    This time, no Return of the Mack?

When he was hired it was seen as a home run, everybody expected him to succeed and be there for a long time. Pretty amazing how quickly things fell apart.

Does Louisville lead the league in scandals?

Swofford's regret?

This has the possibility to be exceptionally bad timing for Duke. I think they should postpone any decision until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    This has the possibility to be exceptionally bad timing for Duke. I think they should postpone any decision until next week.
    I'm with you. Mack had lost the team and was playing very poorly. Once again, I think Duke gets the other team's best shot. They will be fired up, players and fans.

GoDuke!

Can anyone explain to me like I know nothing about Louisville why Mack is getting fired?

He’s 68-37 overall (64.8% winning percentage) and 38-23 in the ACC (62.3%). He’s not even been there 4 full seasons yet. One of those seasons was 2020. I thought we were pretty much giving everyone a free pass for whatever performance they achieved that year due to the COVID-19 pandemic difficulties encountered. Those sentiments were slightly echoed for 2021, too. Both of those winning percentages are higher than Kevin Keatts at NCSU (61% overall and 50.6% in ACC games) and he’s in his 5th season and Coach K just called him one of the best coaches in America after Duke’s game against them nearly two weeks ago. Louisville was picked 6th this preseason and they’re 8th currently in the ACC. That’s what we define as losing the team? NCSU was picked 9th and they’re 12th. There seems way more to this than his performance on the floor during games.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Can anyone explain to me like I know nothing about Louisville why Mack is getting fired?

He’s 68-37 overall (64.8% winning percentage) and 38-23 in the ACC (62.3%). He’s not even been there 4 full seasons yet. One of those seasons was 2020. I thought we were pretty much giving everyone a free pass for whatever performance they achieved that year due to the COVID-19 pandemic difficulties encountered. Those sentiments were slightly echoed for 2021, too. Both of those winning percentages are higher than Kevin Keatts at NCSU and he’s in his 5th season and Coach K just called him one of the best coaches in America after Duke’s game against them nearly two weeks ago. Louisville was picked 6th this preseason and they’re 8th currently in the ACC. That’s what we define as losing the team? NCSU was picked 9th and they’re 12th. There seems way more to this than his performance on the floor during games.
    Did it have something to do with his suspension and I thought there was something about him saying he was going to take away some scholarships. I'm not the best person to comment on this. Probably more posters in the know that I.

GoDuke!