Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    The top tier of prospective coaches would likely include Pearl (can't see him leaving), Pitino (no way), and Cronin.

Cronin is an interesting case because he's from the area. I imagine his situation at UCLA is comfy enough to stay. But you never know if people love certain places. Money shouldn't be an issue.

After that you hear Kenny Payne, Danny Hurley, and OSU's Holtmann. Hurley and Holtmann sound interesting and potentially more pry-able than Cronin.

Then it's down to Steve Forbes, Wes Miller, maybe the Bellarmine guy altho that seems a bit fantastical. I'm sure others will pop up in this tier.

Pretty bizarre way this went. I assumed Mack would be a great hire and coach a long time with decent success. Maybe not Pitino level but decent success. I'm still not convinced that wouldn't have ultimately happened. But Mack had a number of miscues off the court (most notably blowing up his staff which led to the wild Dino Gaudio extortion tape). You can't make stuff like that up.

- Chillin
    After UCLA's Final Four appearance, Cronin signed a 2-year extension taking his contract through to 2026-27 that pays a minimum of $4M a year.

Unless Cronin gets fired soon - and I don't see that happening - I can't see Louisville paying UCLA to release him from that hefty contract.

Louisville is in a tough place if Mack gets fired.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    This brings up my biggest fear about Saturday. if Mack is still on the bench Louisville will still be in disarray. However, if the interim coach is on the bench and the players feel embolden by their ability to get rid of Mack...beating Duke would be a great way to show everyone that it was the coach and not the players holding back the program.
    Pretty sure your biggest fear will occur Saturday:

@JonRothstein

As @SethDavisHoops reports, Chris Mack will not return as Louisville's head coach, a source confirmed. Official announcement expected for Wednesday.

Assistant Mike Pegues is expected to be Louisville's interim head coach, starting with Saturday's game against Duke.

I also read Louisville will take a look at Will Wade, head coach of LSU, and Nate Oats, head coach at Alabama.

Wade is only 39. Given his history at LSU, he may fit in nicely at Louisville!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I also read Louisville will take a look at Will Wade, head coach of LSU, and Nate Oats, head coach at Alabama.

Wade is only 39. Given his history at LSU, he may fit in nicely at Louisville!
    Why does Louisville keep doing this to themselves? I mean, after Pitino and Mack, you're going after another known sleazeball? Lots of good, young coaches out there without any blemishes on their records.

Why, Louisville, why?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Pretty sure your biggest fear will occur Saturday:

@JonRothstein

As @SethDavisHoops reports, Chris Mack will not return as Louisville's head coach, a source confirmed. Official announcement expected for Wednesday.

Assistant Mike Pegues is expected to be Louisville's interim head coach, starting with Saturday's game against Duke.
    Its over!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Why does Louisville keep doing this to themselves? I mean, after Pitino and Mack, you're going after another known sleazeball? Lots of good, young coaches out there without any blemishes on their records.

Why, Louisville, why?
    Things that just make you go, “huh?”

Louisville is gonna Louisville, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Why, Louisville, why?
    They have to be true to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    This has the possibility to be exceptionally bad timing for Duke. I think they should postpone any decision until next week.
    Eh - I don't really see it as a guarantee Duke will see some super stoked and focused L'vile team on Saturday. Seems like a lot of chaos in the days before a game. And if players are checked out are they checking back in for the assistant?

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Eh - I don't really see it as a guarantee Duke will see some super stoked and focused L'vile team on Saturday. Seems like a lot of chaos in the days before a game. And if players are checked out are they checking back in for the assistant?
    Yeah, I mean I guess it COULD free the team to play more inspired knowing that the pressure of the situation is gone. Or, it could just go into full on collapse mode.

It's official. Mack out

I wonder if Maryland and Louisville will target the same applicant pool.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Mack [gets] the knife?
    Sounds more like Mack was hit by a Truck.
    April 1

I gotta think Tom Crean is gonna be available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Maybe they can just swap.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I gotta think Tom Crean is gonna be available soon.
    Absolutely correct from what I hear.

Have college basketball teams ever hired their women’s coach to coach their men’s team?
    Almost never happens, in any sport. I can only think of one example: Gary Gait going from Cuse women’s lacrosse to the men’s team.

I realize it’s early, but I’m surprised that Andy Enfield’s name hasn’t come up. If you can win at the University of Spoiled Children, you can win anywhere. As you’ll remember from FGCU, his teams provide good entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I realize it’s early, but I’m surprised that Andy Enfield’s name hasn’t come up. If you can win at the University of Spoiled Children, you can win anywhere. As you’ll remember from FGCU, his teams provide good entertainment.
    Granted, one might want to go to more of a "blue blood" program where hoops is the top priority but he also struck me as the type who would really enjoy the LA lifestyle. I believe his wife is a supermodel. Louisville in particular is a long way from that. That being said, he grew up in PA and went to Johns Hopkins so he definitely has plenty of east coast ties. Interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Granted, one might want to go to more of a "blue blood" program where hoops is the top priority but he also struck me as the type who would really enjoy the LA lifestyle. I believe his wife is a supermodel. Louisville in particular is a long way from that. That being said, he grew up in PA and went to Johns Hopkins so he definitely has plenty of east coast ties. Interesting idea.
    Didn’t take long.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ce-chris-mack/