Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Danny Manning to Louisville in the role of Assistant Coach

New Louisville coach Kenny Payne is expected to hire ACC coaching legend ( ) Danny Manning as an assistant coach, sources told ESPN.

The hire could become official as early as Friday afternoon.

Manning joins Nolan Smith, who left Duke after six years on Mike Krzyzewski's staff, as assistant coaches on Payne's staff. The Cardinals have one assistant spot still open.

One of the greatest college basketball players of all time, Manning won an NCAA championship at Kansas and was named the national player of the year in 1988 before becoming the first overall pick of the 1988 NBA draft. He spent 15 years in the NBA before returning to Kansas to work under Bill Self for nine seasons.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ssistant-coach

Bob McKillop stepping down from Davidson

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Yep. I watched the announcement live because it was advertised as an announcement about Steph Curry. They did announce that Steph would have his number retired, but then the presentation pivoted to the announcement of Bob McKillop's retirement and introduction of his successor Matt McKillop. The McKillop announcements were, in my mind, the bigger news.

Takeaways:
    Steph will be honored on August 31.

Bob will step down on June 30 and be replaced by son Matt.

Here is a link to the press conference at Davidson. Go to about the 10 minute mark of the "Davidson Athletics Special Announcement" for the start. For some reason the video wouldn't play on Firefox for me.
    Last edited by camion; 06-17-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    He will be missed. Great coach and a class act. Congratulations Coach!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Bob will step down on June 30 and be replaced by son Matt.
    Hat tip to a great, great coach.

But I'm also wondering: why wait until this late in the summer? Season ended two+ months ago, why not announce then? I'm wondering if, like when Dean Smith retired, he maybe wanted to make sure the school had only one viable choice on his successor.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Amen to that. Apparently a close friend of Coach K too, so that says a lot about McKillop as well.

So who is on the Mt. Rushmore of men with absolutely perfect white hair? McKillop and Mike Pence (sans the housefly) are obvious. Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Amen to that. Apparently a close friend of Coach K too, so that says a lot about McKillop as well.

So who is on the Mt. Rushmore of men with absolutely perfect white hair? McKillop and Mike Pence (sans the housefly) are obvious. Who else?
    Great coach who always seemed to do things the right way - ran a classy program.

For your white hair question, I have to add Colonel Sanders.

Lute Olson and Bobby Knight?
    Carolina delenda est

Bobby Cremins

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Great coach who always seemed to do things the right way - ran a classy program.

For your white hair question, I have to add Colonel Sanders.
    The Colonel’s hair seemed a bit … unkempt to me. Working hard in the kitchen I suppose. But the coiffure was not perfect.

Lute Olson is in the running.

The Colonel’s hair seemed a bit … unkempt to me. Working hard in the kitchen I suppose. But the coiffure was not perfect.

Lute Olson is in the running.
    Lefty?

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    Bobby Cremins
    Grecian…….. Formula
    Grecian……… Formula
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Our old friend from Chapel Hill, Roy Williams, gets some votes in the white hair awards.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Our old friend from Chapel Hill, Roy Williams, gets some votes in the white hair awards.
    Well, your username has never been more appropriate.

Richard Gere, Anderson Cooper, Ted Danson …

Leslie Nielsen?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Absolutely a class act.

His team was always very well prepared and a headache to play against.

A Long Island native who was actually Mat Doherty's high school coach for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Hat tip to a great, great coach.

But I'm also wondering: why wait until this late in the summer? Season ended two+ months ago, why not announce then? I'm wondering if, like when Dean Smith retired, he maybe wanted to make sure the school had only one viable choice on his successor.
    Given what McKillop has done for that program, he gets to pick his successor no matter when he steps aside. No shenanigans needed.

If McKillop had ever wanted to leave Davidson, I bet a couple dozen P6 teams would have come calling in a heartbeat!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Given what McKillop has done for that program, he gets to pick his successor no matter when he steps aside. No shenanigans needed.

If McKillop had ever wanted to leave Davidson, I bet a couple dozen P6 teams would have come calling in a heartbeat!
    He was the featured speaker at our 50th reunion banquet (Davidson '72) last Saturday, and after his very good speech, several of my friends came up and said ,"I'm ready to run through a brick wall for him!' We were all pleased that Steph Curry had completed his courses and gotten his B.A. this year, which allows his jersey nimber to be retired. Word was that there could have been an exception made to the Davidson athletic rules, but he said 'no, I promised my Mom I'd get my degree.'

Ahh, and then this.