Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Other People's Football: Championship Week

Championship week is underway with #10 Oregon vs #17 Utah for the PAC-12 title, so I guess we need a thread for it. Who I root for is TBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Championship week is underway with #10 Oregon vs #17 Utah for the PAC-12 title, so I guess we need a thread for it. Who I root for is TBD.
    Oregon is getting beaten like a tanggu, only un-ceremoniously...

The Youths have the Ducks’ number.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Cole Bishop, freshman defensive back for Utah and ex-Duke commit, playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    The Youths have the Ducks’ number.
    The whaaaaaaat?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    The whaaaaaaat?
    Never saw/heard My Cousin Vinny?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I’m thinking he did that in his best Fred Gwynne voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Oregon is getting beaten like a tanggu, only un-ceremoniously...
    This is why I love DBR.

1 Georgia vs 3 Alabama is the game I am most interested in today. Georgia appears to be the odds on favorite to win it all but the road to the championship still runs through Alabama. Probably not a popular statement here but Roll Tide!

Last night I watched the first half and part of the 3rd quarter of UTSA vs Western Kentucky. An enjoyable game with two explosive offenses but the difference was UTSA defense with interceptions and forcing Western Kentucky to attempt field goals.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    1 Georgia vs 3 Alabama is the game I am most interested in today. Georgia appears to be the odds on favorite to win it all but the road to the championship still runs through Alabama. Probably not a popular statement here but Roll Tide!

Last night I watched the first half and part of the 3rd quarter of UTSA vs Western Kentucky. An enjoyable game with two explosive offenses but the difference was UTSA defense with interceptions and forcing Western Kentucky to attempt field goals.
    I agree, Roll Tide. Don’t believe it can happen, but then Duke did beat UNLV😄

As a Georgia resident (transplanted from NC), I also will be pulling for Bama. Georgia fans are insufferable* even when they consistently underperform. I can’t imagine how bad they can get if they run the table.

*Not nearly as bad as unc or the terps, but bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I was quoting the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    As a Georgia resident (transplanted from NC), I also will be pulling for Bama. Georgia fans are insufferable* even when they consistently underperform. I can’t imagine how bad they can get if they run the table.

How do you feel about the Georgia OC coming to Duke?

Despite starting this thread, I'll be missing tonight's festivities due to a scheduling conflict. Would have liked to see Pitt vs. Wake but don't mind missing the Big 10 game.

Since you started it I'm going to express my unpopular opinions. My daughter goes to Alabama so I will be pulling for them.

Now for the really unpopular part: I wish we wouldn't expand the college playoff. The national championship game is at 4 today with these two teams. I will be happy to watch them again in a few weeks. But I'm not particularly keen on watching them be up 31 to 3 at the half in the National semifinals versus Cincinnati and whichever thick ankled kids from Michigan, Notre Dame or Oklahoma State get bludgeoned to death in the other semi. Four teams is the right number to get the best team as the champion. And that's what I'm interested in in college football. Ironically it's not what I'm interested in in college basketball. I love that the basketball tournament is a crapshoot, but I don't want that for football.

Alabama win would knock out Cincy or Oklahoma State. Given how homogeneous the playoffs have been so far, I'd much rather see the new teams in it, so I'm rooting for Georgia to crush them.

I know it has 0 chance of happening, but part of me wants to put 3 loss Utah in the playoff just to send a message and reward good non-conference scheduling. Two competitive losses in two road games to two really good non-power-five teams. If Utah was the exact same team but played Oklahoma's non-conference schedule, would they be in?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Alabama win would knock out Cincy or Oklahoma State. Given how homogeneous the playoffs have been so far, I'd much rather see the new teams in it, so I'm rooting for Georgia to crush them.
    Agreed. We have an ACC final without Clemson, now let's have the NCAA final 4 without the Tide. Bama fans in this section of the country are not much less insufferable than the Big Fat Hairy Dawgs.

I know it has 0 chance of happening, but part of me wants to put 3 loss Utah in the playoff just to send a message and reward good non-conference scheduling. Two competitive losses in two road games to two really good non-power-five teams. If Utah was the exact same team but played Oklahoma's non-conference schedule, would they be in?
    Not with 3 losses (one of them to unranked Oregon State).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

Living in Georgia I can not upvote this enough. They seem to think 1 Natty 40 years ago makes them an elite program. Nothing would make me happier than seeing them lose to Cincy. (A man can dream)

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    How do you feel about the Georgia OC coming to Duke?

Despite starting this thread, I'll be missing tonight's festivities due to a scheduling conflict. Would have liked to see Pitt vs. Wake but don't mind missing the Big 10 game.
    IMHO it would be a great hire. My hate is not the team necessariy or the coaches, but the fans. I don't see any way Monken diminishes Duke's recruiting on a national level, and hopefully his connections improve our standing with kids in the southeast.

idk. San Diego State has a good record but isn't that highly-regarded by most good predictive systems. And the PAC isn't that good--even *after* the second Oregon game, Oklahoma's SOS is basically the same, even better by some metrics.