Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    My favorite comedy of all time, regardless of sub-genre.
    On this we will agree. My favorite scene is at the rental car counter, with Edie McClurg. “I want a f***ing car, right f***ing now!”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    On this we will agree. My favorite scene is at the rental car counter, with Edie McClurg. “I want a f***ing car, right f***ing now!”
    In my top 10 of scenes from a movie...

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well, there has to be someone who will admit watching made for TV Christmas movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. That's Mrs. Neals and me!

To be fair, Mrs. Neals is so NOT Christmas movies that I never expected this, but last year near Christmas she was facing a significant medical issue. One day she asked if we could watch a movie on Hallmark to help lift her spirits, so we did - and watched a new one every day until Christmas. This year, it's a new health issue but the same strategy. She records about three movies every day; necessary because some are so bad they get dumped within the first few minutes.

Folks, these are not fine works of art. They are fomulaic and we have a checklist of required elements - return to small hometown; ice skating, hot chocolate, search for perfect Christmas tree (no credit if characters don't call it perfect), special holiday event to organize, and of course two people fall in love (sorry, no kiss until last two minutes). The scripts are bad and the acting worse. But the missus and I enjoy laughing at them and it's a nice daily break from our worries.

If my scintillating sales pitch has encouraged any DBRers to give these movies a try, I'd recommend Reba McEntire's Christmas In Tune on Lifetime. It's by far the best of this year's crop and includes a couple new compositions that are nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Well, there has to be someone who will admit watching made for TV Christmas movies on Lifetime or Hallmark. That's Mrs. Neals and me!

To be fair, Mrs. Neals is so NOT Christmas movies that I never expected this, but last year near Christmas she was facing a significant medical issue. One day she asked if we could watch a movie on Hallmark to help lift her spirits, so we did - and watched a new one every day until Christmas. This year, it's a new health issue but the same strategy. She records about three movies every day; necessary because some are so bad they get dumped within the first few minutes.

Folks, these are not fine works of art. They are fomulaic and we have a checklist of required elements - return to small hometown; ice skating, hot chocolate, search for perfect Christmas tree (no credit if characters don't call it perfect), special holiday event to organize, and of course two people fall in love (sorry, no kiss until last two minutes). The scripts are bad and the acting worse. But the missus and I enjoy laughing at them and it's a nice daily break from our worries.

If my scintillating sales pitch has encouraged any DBRers to give these movies a try, I'd recommend Reba McEntire's Christmas In Tune on Lifetime. It's by far the best of this year's crop and includes a couple new compositions that are nicely done.
    I absolutely don't watch those movies at all one bit even for a moment but there are some charming ones on Netflix this year too.

*Slinks out*

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I absolutely don't watch those movies at all one bit even for a moment but there are some charming ones on Netflix this year too...
    It's not of the romcom variety, but Klaus is a Netflix original from a couple of years ago that places a really nice original spin on Santa's story and is legitimately terrific.
    *Caveat: it's animated (Hi. We've met, right? I only watch cartoons and puppets.)

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post

Guilty as charged. My son used to call me a 16-year-old girl for loving the Hallmark Channel. It is non-thinking escapism from a generally rotten world. Scripted ups and downs with a final up.

You left out the storyline where very successful businesswoman in a “big” city, who's about to get promoted to a “great” job, and has a "great" (or neglectful) boyfriend or fiancé is called back home because her father or mother or favored aunt fell off a ladder or porch or anything else. While home - and generally these are women - she meets her ex-boyfriend who either moved away or was left behind when she pursued her big city dreams (because he of course didn’t want to stand in her way) and they have to save the farm, or orchid, or store…or plan an important charity event that the injured party was responsible for.

And of course who can resist DJ Tanner, Claudia Salinger, or Winnie Cooper. And occasionally Tia Landry (when the Channel's DEI guilt kicks in) or Stephanie Tanner.

And don't forget there is (very) occasionally a Hanukkah movie. “Hey mishpucha, let's make some latkes and light a candle (or eight)". One of last ones I saw had Cory Matthews and Elaine O'Connor Nardo in it.

[The cognoscenti of 1980s and 1990s TV shows among us will understand my references.]

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Guilty as charged. My son used to call me a 16-year-old girl for loving the Hallmark Channel. It is non-thinking escapism from a generally rotten world. Scripted ups and downs with a final up.

You left out the storyline where very successful businesswoman in a “big” city, who's about to get promoted to a “great” job, and has a "great" (or neglectful) boyfriend or fiancé is called back home because her father or mother or favored aunt fell off a ladder or porch or anything else. While home - and generally these are women - she meets her ex-boyfriend who either moved away or was left behind when she pursued her big city dreams (because he of course didn’t want to stand in her way) and they have to save the farm, or orchid, or store…or plan an important charity event that the injured party was responsible for.

And of course who can resist DJ Tanner, Claudia Salinger, or Winnie Cooper. And occasionally Tia Landry (when the Channel's DEI guilt kicks in) or Stephanie Tanner.

And don't forget there is (very) occasionally a Hanukkah movie. “Hey mishpucha, let's make some latkes and light a candle (or eight)". One of last ones I saw had Cory Matthews and Elaine O'Connor Nardo in it.

[The cognoscenti of 1980s and 1990s TV shows among us will understand my references.]
    If you are a guy living in the big city, do not let your girlfriend travel alone back home to her small town for Christmas unless you want to be dumped. That’s what I’ve learned from these.

And I find it interesting that the Christmas movies never mention a church or religion, but the Hanukkah counterparts are full of religious exposition. Especially the one where the main character makes Old Testament action figures (sorry for the spoiler).

Oh, and add Taylor Townsend from the OC as one of the regular leads in these

Wait.. Winnie Cooper?

Now my 12 year old self is paying attention.

Wait.. Winnie Cooper?

Danica McKellar is still worth paying attention for any number* of reasons.

*yes, that was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    If you are a guy living in the big city, do not let your girlfriend travel alone back home to her small town for Christmas unless you want to be dumped. That’s what I’ve learned from these.

And I find it interesting that the Christmas movies never mention a church or religion, but the Hanukkah counterparts are full of religious exposition. Especially the one where the main character makes Old Testament action figures (sorry for the spoiler).

Understood, but the whole Hallmark movie Christmas thing (carols, trees, Santa, etc) sorta implies Christianity, doesn’t it? No need to mention Catholicism or any of the Protestant churches explicitly.

Wait.. Winnie Cooper?

She’s been in a lot of them. Ahhh, Danica.

Understood, but the whole Hallmark movie Christmas thing (carols, trees, Santa, etc) sorta implies Christianity, doesn’t it? No need to mention Catholicism or any of the Protestant churches explicitly.
    I think mkirsh’s point was that the vast majority of Christmas movies traffic in depictions of cultural, secular observations of Christmas, absent of any theological or liturgical connections.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post

For those wondering what's coming up on the Hallmark Christmas schedule, here you go.

From SNL.

I think mkirsh’s point was that the vast majority of Christmas movies traffic in depictions of cultural, secular observations of Christmas, absent of any theological or liturgical connections.
    St. Nicholas, Oh Holy Night (and other carols), and Nativity pageants and shows by the kids in the movies are “secular” observations? Ok.

St. Nicholas, Oh Holy Night (and other carols), and Nativity pageants and shows by the kids in the movies are “secular” observations? Ok.
    Come on, man. St. Nicholas, irrespective of his Christian roots, is absolutely a largely secularized figure by now (especially any St. Nicholas depiction in a movie). The nativity remains more rooted in church practices, but has, again, acquired cultural significance well beyond practicing Christians. There’s a nativity in Home Alone, for example, but no part of the movie's message is explicitly religious.
    Even carols like ‘O Holy Night,’ which are of course hymns, are enjoyed by and presented to broad audiences who give not the barest passing thought to their liturgical roots. Whether or not a Christmas movie features any of these things, I would again say that the majority of contemporary Christmas movies are areligious in message and presentation.

Come on, man. St. Nicholas, irrespective of his Christian roots, is absolutely a largely secularized figure by now (especially any St. Nicholas depiction in a movie). The nativity remains more rooted in church practices, but has, again, acquired cultural significance well beyond practicing Christians. There’s a nativity in Home Alone, for example, but no part of the movie's message is explicitly religious.
    Even carols like ‘O Holy Night,’ which are of course hymns, are enjoyed by and presented to broad audiences who give not the barest passing thought to their liturgical roots. Whether or not a Christmas movie features any of these things, I would again say that the majority of contemporary Christmas movies are areligious in message and presentation.
    Agree to disagree, man.

Even the supreme court ruled a creche can be secular.

But let's get back to movies, please.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    For those wondering what's coming up on the Hallmark Christmas schedule, here you go.

From SNL.
    I’ve heard it described as 100 movies, 15 actors, 3 sets, and 1 plot

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Even the supreme court ruled a creche can be secular.

But let's get back to movies, please.

-jk
    No, the Supreme Court did not hold that a creche could be secular. In Lynch v. Donnelly, they held that a large display on public property that contained both secular and religious items (including a creche) was OK, looking at the display as a whole. A few years later, in County of Allegheny v. ACLU, they similarly held that a large display on public property that contained both secular and religious items (Menorah included) was OK. But a stand-alone display of a creche in the courthouse was not OK.

Old-time Christmas movies

In our house, we start watching Christmas-related movies about this time of the year. They aren't all Christmas movies per se, but many are set during Christmastime. For example:
    A Christmas Carol (usually the made-for-TV one that stars George C. Scott, sometimes the Alistair Sim version)
    It's a Wonderful Life
    We're No Angels (Bogart, Aldo Ray, and Peter Ustinov as escapees from Devil's Island; a comedy)
    Trading Places
    Christmas in Connecticut (Barbara Stanwyck, Sydney Greenstreet; a really silly premise, but it works)
    Remember the Night (Barbara Stanwyck again, with Fred MacMurray (an even sillier premise)
    Desk Set (Tracy and Hepburn)