Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 217
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm appalled that Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas isn't mentioned yet.
    I assume it's universal adoration was implied.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I assume it's universal adoration was implied.
    It's the one I watch every year and makes me misty-eyed.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm appalled that Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas isn't mentioned yet.
    *Emmet.
    For reasons obvious to anyone who’s paid attention to my musings on the OTB over the years, this one’s a personal favorite of mine. I own multiple EOJBC t-shirts, and am slated to see a mixed puppet/stage production of it in NYC in a couple of weeks.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Geez, buddy, read the room. Come hard and hot on Christmas movies, musicals or not at all.
    Apropos of all of the above, I watched Holiday Inn and White Christmas (two heavily similar versions of essentially the same story) a few years back. Both of them are eye-wateringly dull.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    *Emmet.
    For reasons obvious to anyone who’s paid attention to my musings on the OTB over the years, this one’s a personal favorite of mine. I own multiple EOJBC t-shirts, and am slated to see a mixed puppet/stage production of it in NYC in a couple of weeks.
    Again, I become more certain you and I would be fast friends.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    So - changing the definition of Christmas movie from a movie about Christmas and/or set at Christmas to one that you watch at Christmastime, regardless of the setting - what's your favorite Christmas movie?
    We watch the Muppet Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve every year (which, for many years, happened after going to Christmas Eve mass and then out for a nice dinner, so it turned into the family falling asleep on the couch while Muppet Christmas Carol played in the background).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Apropos of all of the above, I watched Holiday Inn and White Christmas (two heavily similar versions of essentially the same story) a few years back. Both of them are eye-wateringly dull.
    My wife unabashedly* loves Holiday Inn, largely for Fred Astaire's dance numbers. It's also on our holiday season roster. But it's no Muppet Christmas Carol.

    *she is abashed about the Lincoln's birthday number, which has NOT aged well.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    My wife unabashedly* loves Holiday Inn, largely for Fred Astaire's dance numbers. It's also on our holiday season roster. But it's no Muppet Christmas Carol.

    *she is abashed about the Lincoln's birthday number, which has NOT aged well.
    I can agree that Astaire is the redeeming quality of that movie.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I can agree that Astaire is the redeeming quality of that movie.
    The body control in the drunk NYE dance number is extremely impressive.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    This thread should probably be renamed "Christmas Movies Melee" or maybe "The Santa Cinema Scrum". Or the "Fa La La La La La La Film Fracas".

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Has anyone mentioned “Ernest Saves Christmas” yet? I’ll be disappointed if the answer is in the negative.
    Birds aren’t real. Do your own research!

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Has anyone mentioned “Ernest Saves Christmas” yet? I’ll be disappointed if the answer is in the negative.
    Mr. Worrell is another personal favorite, but I actually believe the Yuletide entry to be at the weaker end of the Ernest canon, and merely a middling holiday film.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Mr. Worrell is another personal favorite, but I actually believe the Yuletide entry to be at the weaker end of the Ernest canon, and merely a middling holiday film.
    What part of “saves Christmas” is vague?

    He. SAVED. Christmas.
    Birds aren’t real. Do your own research!

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Has anyone mentioned “Ernest Saves Christmas” yet? I’ll be disappointed if the answer is in the negative.
    Interestingly, I just re-watched Ernest Saves Christmas for the first time in 30+ years. I used to love it. I do not love it anymore. This is not the reason I don't love it anymore but in this re-watching, I noticed Ernest has a 'Keep Christ in Christmas' sticker on the inside of his taxi.

    Jim Varney was a long-time smoker and died at 51 from lung cancer.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    I watched Krampus for the first time last year. Does that count?

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    No mention of the original Grinch? One of my favorites.

    I'm talking about the animated one.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    No mention of the original Grinch? One of my favorites.

    I'm talking about the animated one.
    Just an absolute classic. Impossibly well done. But I counted it as a TV episode. If we all agree it's a movie then it is in my top tier. Maybe number one.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    No mention of the original Grinch? One of my favorites.

    I'm talking about the animated one.
    That's a show, though. (Albeit really good one, and Frankenstein's Monster is a good singer, who knew?)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Any thoughts on Love Actually? I just found out from a friend that if you only see the edited-for-tv version, the entire Martin Freeman storyline just doesn't exist! If you know the movie, you can understand why.

    And it's been getting a lot of flak recently for "fat-shaming". Oof.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Any thoughts on Love Actually? I just found out from a friend that if you only see the edited-for-tv version, the entire Martin Freeman storyline just doesn't exist! If you know the movie, you can understand why.

    And it's been getting a lot of flak recently for "fat-shaming". Oof.
    My FAVORITE movie. (yes, I'm a Rom-Com guy. My son used to accuse me of being a 16 year old girl.)

    Another one set in Christmas/Hanukkah season is The Holiday (even has a Hanukkah party scene). My fourth favorite.

    [If anyone cares, my second is Notting Hill and my third is Four Weddings and a Funeral.]

Similar Threads

  1. Christmas fun
    By dudog84 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2020, 10:59 AM
  2. What did you get for Christmas?
    By Bob Green in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-28-2014, 10:15 PM
  3. Best Christmas Present?
    By Ben63 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 04:30 PM
  4. Top 10 Christmas movies
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 02:14 PM
  5. Christmas Eve...
    By TwoDukeTattoos in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 02:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •