Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't think that's it. Acting styles/audience preferences and cinematography has changed a lot​ during that time.
    I agree. What I'm saying is that the acting styles, preferences, etc. have changed because people's day-to-day lives have changed. Hippies in bell bottoms seem contrived and fake when you see them in films and on TV these days, but that's how people actually dressed and behaved during the '70s. That same dynamic carries decades further back, also.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I think I just don’t like them
    I thought perhaps you didn't care for older fare because of the Breen/Hayes Code or something. But to be honest, I think 1935-1955 is my favorite film era. Not sure it's because of the Code though. I certainly like modern films as well. Perhaps it's just that I'm a sucker for old westerns and comedies. Or maybe I just enjoy watching Dorothy Lamour in a sarong*. Not sure.

*I realize that reference will miss almost everyone here, but it's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I agree. What I'm saying is that the acting styles, preferences, etc. have changed because people's day-to-day lives have changed. Hippies in bell bottoms seem contrived and fake when you see them in films and on TV these days, but that's how people actually dressed and behaved during the '70s. That same dynamic carries decades further back, also.
    Well in the future, if, God help them, people look back at crap like Love after Lockup and any of the "Real" Housewives mess will they think that was what life was like in the 2010s - 2020s? If so, that will skew things a bit. Nothing about "reality" TV is real, so I hope folks of the future are forewarned before watching!!!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Ok - sorta changing the subject - my favorite Christmas movie is Casablanca.

Wait, what? That's not a Christmas movie!! But. It is at my house. Once, decades ago, my dad mentioned that he'd never seen Casablanca. His Christmas present from me that year was a VHS tape of the movie. The whole family watched it together after Christmas dinner, an event that was repeated for many years until I had kids, at which point a DVD was purchased and the tradition continued at my house. In recent years, we haven't kept up the tradition quite as regularly, but for a good 20 years, I watched Casablanca with my family every Christmas such that I will permanently associate the movie with Christmas.

So - changing the definition of Christmas movie from a movie about Christmas and/or set at Christmas to one that you watch at Christmastime, regardless of the setting - what's your favorite Christmas movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Ok - sorta changing the subject - my favorite Christmas movie is Casablanca.

Wait, what? That's not a Christmas movie!! But. It is at my house. Once, decades ago, my dad mentioned that he'd never seen Casablanca. His Christmas present from me that year was a VHS tape of the movie. The whole family watched it together after Christmas dinner, an event that was repeated for many years until I had kids, at which point a DVD was purchased and the tradition continued at my house. In recent years, we haven't kept up the tradition quite as regularly, but for a good 20 years, I watched Casablanca with my family every Christmas such that I will permanently associate the movie with Christmas.

So - changing the definition of Christmas movie from a movie about Christmas and/or set at Christmas to one that you watch at Christmastime, regardless of the setting - what's your favorite Christmas movie?
    Nice question.
    I have a number of years' worth of fond memories of watching the annual Star Wars marathons on Christmas Eve, so put me down for The Empire Strikes Back.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Nice question.
    I have a number of years' worth of fond memories of watching the annual Star Wars marathons on Christmas Eve, so put me down for The Empire Strikes Back.
    Sound of Music

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Sound of Music
    In light of what I've already done in this thread today, I'll withhold my hot take on this film.

Sound of Music
    I would spork you if I could. 100% agree. My late mother started college very young and saw The Sound of Music right after it came out on Broadway in December, 1959 when she was... wait for it... 16 going on 17 and home for the holidays (she turned 17 two months later). So it was always her favorite musical (along with West Side Story) and it was a tradition on my Jewish household to watch it around the holidays. My older son watched it in 5th grade last year at school (not totally sure why) so I am looking forward to watching it with him shortly now that he has been introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    In light of what I've already done in this thread today, I'll withhold my hot take on this film.
    I wish I had a scary picture of me I could post right now. Alas, all images of me broadcast a courteously deferential vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I would spork you if I could. 100% agree. My late mother started college very young and saw The Sound of Music right after it came out on Broadway in December, 1959 when she was... wait for it... 16 going on 17 and home for the holidays (she turned 17 two months later). So it was always her favorite musical (along with West Side Story) and it was a tradition on my Jewish household to watch it around the holidays. My older son watched it in 5th grade last year at school (not totally sure why) so I am looking forward to watching it with him shortly now that he has been introduced.
    Ugh, musicals.

Ugh, musicals.
    Et tu Bundabergdevil?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ugh, musicals.
    For the most part, I'm with you on that one, but Chicago is a movie that I'll forget what I'm doing and watch at the drop of a hat.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Et tu Bundabergdevil?
    I can listen to the Les Miserables soundtrack but have a hard time sitting through the actual show (and I’ve seen it on Broadway). True for many musicals.

I do like theater (and was in a bunch of plays long ago) but musicals are hard for me.

I can listen to the Les Miserables soundtrack but have a hard time sitting through the actual show (and I’ve seen it on Broadway). True for many musicals.

I do like theater (and was in a bunch of plays long ago) but musicals are hard for me.
    I can't talk to you right now.

DIEHARD!!!

Now there's a Christmas movie!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I just couldn't wait any longer... I saw this more than a week ago and it does not open in my market for a couple more weeks. I don't care, I had to put my review out.

Here is my 100-word review of what will almost certainly be the best film of 2021, Licorice Pizza: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/1...-licorice.html

Geez, buddy, read the room. Come hard and hot on Christmas movies, musicals or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    For the most part, I'm with you on that one, but Chicago is a movie that I'll forget what I'm doing and watch at the drop of a hat.
    By far the best show* to integrate a set of songs into the story line that I have ever seen. It doesn't hurt that the music is so dang awesome, but the style of integrating the music and lyrics into the story line was genius.

*I am partial to the stage version, but the movie was pretty darn good also.

Geez, buddy, read the room. Come hard and hot on Christmas movies, musicals or not at all.
    My kids made me watch Anna and the Apocalypse a year or so ago. It is a Christmas movie, and a musical, but not very Christmasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My Christmas tradition has become watching a TV episode: the second season Christmas episode of the West Wing, with Adam Arkin as the visiting psychiatrist. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes. And it features Yo-Yo Ma playing an exquisite cello piece (Bach). Ma actually played the piece for each take of the scene, requiring him to play it 45 times in all.

I'm appalled that Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas isn't mentioned yet.