Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I liked that version, too. My Dad (greatest generation) was partial to the Alastair Sim version (1951.) One of the local stations in NYC played it every Christmas Eve, and he watched it every year (although in later years, he usually fell asleep!)

I also loved the March of the Wooden Soldiers growing up. WPIX (channel 11 in NYC) showed it each Christmas. (After playing the Yule Log each Christmas Eve. Cheap programming, showing a film of a fireplace for hours!)
    Remember the WPIX Yule Log well. Part of my youth. As was L&H.

Forget where I saw this, but somebody suggested watching Die Hard right after Love Actually—that way, Alan Rickman gets what he deserves for the shabby way he treated Emma Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Forget where I saw this, but somebody suggested watching Die Hard right after Love Actually—that way, Alan Rickman gets what he deserves for the shabby way he treated Emma Thompson.
    And then the Harry Potter series so he can TOTALLY redeem himself!

Good one!

And then you can watch Andrew Lincoln fight off zombies in TWD after humiliating himself and stalking Keira Knightley.

love-actually-signs3-619-386.jpgc0ccd32a7a3772870e5fbbe96a669634.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    And then the Harry Potter series so he can TOTALLY redeem himself!
    Dude! Spoilers!!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The Muppet Christmas Carol is the only Christmas Carol.
    Not sure how this got past the copyright police, but a Muppet Family Christmas is up on youtube. Not sure if the DVD is readily available, we had an old VHS tape (now we can't play tapes anymore, and our DVD capacity is limited. It incorporated itself into the Turk family repertoire. For example, when anyone leaves the house, in any weather, they are often greeted with a chorus of, "Watch out for the icy patch!!" and also, "Merry Christmas!! Gimme Presents!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9qSKZuvC4

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Not sure how this got past the copyright police, but a Muppet Family Christmas is up on youtube. Not sure if the DVD is readily available, we had an old VHS tape (now we can't play tapes anymore, and our DVD capacity is limited. It incorporated itself into the Turk family repertoire. For example, when anyone leaves the house, in any weather, they are often greeted with a chorus of, "Watch out for the icy patch!!" and also, "Merry Christmas!! Gimme Presents!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9qSKZuvC4
    That YouTube version has been the only proper version for quite a while. All the home video releases over the years have had various songs/content unacceptably cut or abridged.
    Just a shame the YT version has such terrible video quality.

Holiday Affair

When I posted a list earlier in this thread about our classic Christmas movie faves, I omitted Holiday Affair. TCM is showing it on Christmas Eve, I think. It stars Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh (looking her best), and it is really charming.

In an earlier post, I mentioned that Mrs. Neals and I are watching at least one Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas movie a day to help keep spirits up as she recovers from surgery.

In one of the movies last week, the female lead explains that male reindeer lose their antlers soon after the rut, while females don't. Therefore all of Santa's reindeer must be female.

On Christmas, Neil deGrasse Tyson tweeted the same thing. https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/680405173156483072

Maybe it doesn't quite follow that NdGT watches Christmas movies on Hallmark, but I find the notion hilarious.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    In an earlier post, I mentioned that Mrs. Neals and I are watching at least one Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas movie a day to help keep spirits up as she recovers from surgery.

In one of the movies last week, the female lead explains that male reindeer lose their antlers soon after the rut, while females don't. Therefore all of Santa's reindeer must be female.

On Christmas, Neil deGrasse Tyson tweeted the same thing. https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/680405173156483072

Maybe it doesn't quite follow that NdGT watches Christmas movies on Hallmark, but I find the notion hilarious.
    Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen.

Aside from Donner, and of course Rudolph (since he is a made up addition and not real like those eight), the other 7 could work as names for females. Maybe Donner was a mispronunciation of Donna.

I mean "Vixen" is about as female as you can get.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen.

Aside from Donner, and of course Rudolph (since he is a made up addition and not real like those eight), the other 7 could work as names for females. Maybe Donner was a mispronunciation of Donna.

I mean "Vixen" is about as female as you can get.
    And I've definitely been blitzed by a few females.

Hah, we ended up doing just that. And the fact was not lost on us.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Remember the WPIX Yule Log well. Part of my youth. As was L&H.
    That log was amazing...it would burn and burn all day long, and never get smaller...that was one tough log.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That log was amazing...it would burn and burn all day long, and never get smaller...that was one tough log.
    What rolls down stairs
    Rolls over in pairs
    Rolls over your neighbors dog
    What’s great for a snack
    And fits on your back
    It’s log log log.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What rolls down stairs
    Rolls over in pairs
    Rolls over your neighbors dog
    What’s great for a snack
    And fits on your back
    It’s log log log.
    It's big! It's heavy! It's wood!
    It's log, log.
    It's better than bad - it's good!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    SNY (Mets channel) had it going for a few days as a bottom scene for its regular programming. The en PIX 11 had it for an hour on Christmas Day.