Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Christmas Movies

We watched 8-Bit Christmas on HBO. I'd seen the trailer and had high hopes that this late 80s-era comedy about a group of kids trying to secure a Nintendo would be a lot of fun. It was but it just didn't land the nostalgia like, say, Stranger Things. It was also pretty transparent about trying to be the 80s Christmas Story in its approach and character similarities --- unfortunately, the writing was not as good, the narration not as engaging, and the characters not as fun.

Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments but had really hoped for more.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We watched 8-Bit Christmas on HBO. I'd seen the trailer and had high hopes that this late 80s-era comedy about a group of kids trying to secure a Nintendo would be a lot of fun. It was but it just didn't land the nostalgia like, say, Stranger Things. It was also pretty transparent about trying to be the 80s Christmas Story in its approach and character similarities --- unfortunately, the writing was not as good, the narration not as engaging, and the characters not as fun.

Don't get me wrong, it had it's moments but had really hoped for more.
    Hot take: A Christmas Story is trash.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Fight me.

I know it’s become in modern classic, but I never watch it. It does nothing for me. Doesn’t seem “Christmassy” at all. Give me the original Miracle on 34th Steet and It’s a Wonderful Life. Throw in the White Christmas, and other classics of like manner, and I’m very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I know it’s become in modern classic, but I never watch it. It does nothing for me. Doesn’t seem “Christmassy” at all. Give me the original Miracle on 34th Steet and It’s a Wonderful Life. Throw in the White Christmas, and other classics of like manner, and I’m very happy.
    Old school. Love it!

The best XMAS movie is ELF. Hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    The best XMAS movie is ELF. Hands down.
    Clark Griswold has something to say about this.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    We got a new dog a couple of weeks ago. His name is Clark Griswold.

I know it’s become in modern classic, but I never watch it. It does nothing for me. Doesn’t seem “Christmassy” at all....
    These are my thoughts exactly. Plus, it's increasingly culturally irrelevant. Who the hell even knows what Ovaltine is anymore? Yeccch.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Fight me.
    I'm with bbd. I saw it in the theater waay back in the day. Still a classic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Clark Griswold lives next door to me. I will have to take pics tonight and share my pain.

I agree with this almost completely, but will add a second hot take: It's a Wonderful Life was a good movie, that I watched once and don't feel especially compelled to watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Just started Peaky Blinders, sad I am late to this. Only saw two episodes so no spoilers please, but a fun start.
    I've tried to start that show several times and never end up making it through the first episode (nothing especially wrong, just doesn't grab me). Good luck, and report back!

I love it. My wife hates it. Subject of much dispute in our home. I am trying to get my kids on my side. I am "that guy" who likes quoting random movies (in case you haven't noticed) and A Christmas Story is the gift that keeps on giving, like the Jelly of the Month Club.

I am also a Jew who is obsessed with all things Christmas related, so that might help explain some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I love it. My wife hates it. Subject of much dispute in our home. I am trying to get my kids on my side. I am "that guy" who likes quoting random movies (in case you haven't noticed) and A Christmas Story is the gift that keeps on giving, like the Jelly of the Month Club.

I am also a Jew who is obsessed with all things Christmas related, so that might help explain some of it.
    See, I'm (not Jewish, but) likewise obsessed with all things Christmas. Well, almost all things...I can't stand that one movie. Have never liked it and really have no intention to ever watch it again. It's got this sleazy, creepy vibe that to me is entirely at odds with the season.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I'm with bbd. I saw it in the theater waay back in the day. Still a classic to me.
    Both my parents grew up in the Midwest, and A Christmas Story pretty much encapsulates my family's history as passed down to me by my parents. The bullies, the swearing, the snow suit, the neighbors, the obsession with turkey, the mother who pulls certain family strings, the quest for the forbidden present. Heck, I even grew up listening to reel-to-reel tapes of my father's old radio programs. I can't NOT love it.

Nobody else in my immediate family understands how great it is. If it's not part of your history, you just don't realize how funny it actually is. My siblings and I laugh uproariously. Most of the "sleazy creepy" vibe you may be getting is actually humor. And really funny humor at that (at least for us).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't see how folks are saying that ACS doesn't feel Christmassy.

It's setting is the weeks leading up to Christmas, has Santa and elves, lots of lights, snow, and is constantly talking about the one present that the kid is dying to wake up to ON CHRISTMAS MORNING. The whole movie is entirely centered around December 25th and the impending disappointment.

I'd love to hear more of an explanation about what's missing from the Christmas based movie that even has the word Christmas in its title.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

It's setting is the weeks leading up to Christmas, has Santa and elves, lots of lights, snow, and is constantly talking about the one present that the kid is dying to wake up to ON CHRISTMAS MORNING. The whole movie is entirely centered around December 25th and the impending disappointment.

I'd love to hear more of an explanation about what's missing from the Christmas based movie that even has the word Christmas in its title.
    I'm not into a kid desperately wanting a firearm, harboring generation-long feelings of disappointment, and contending with scuzzy bullies in a run-down sepia-toned town that's past its best days. Doesn't put me in the holiday mood at all.

Maybe it’s because my parents grew up in 1950s Indiana but they they it captures their kid Christmas life perfectly.

The writing is wonderful and it kind of reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes Christmas strip brought to life.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm not into a kid desperately wanting a firearm, harboring generation-long feelings of disappointment, and contending with scuzzy bullies in a run-down sepia-toned town that's past its best days. Doesn't put me in the holiday mood at all.
    Others have mentioned It's a Wonderful Life. That one checks off a few of your boxes there too. Bullies, run down town, feelings of disappointment, plus it tosses in suicide. Yet because it is set at Christmas time, it's a Christmas movie.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Others have mentioned It's a Wonderful Life. That one checks off a few of your boxes there too. Bullies, run down town, feelings of disappointment, plus it tosses in suicide. Yet because it is set at Christmas time, it's a Christmas movie.
    There are bullies and very adult dynamics and situations in Elf, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, etc. Guns in most of those, too.