Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luggage Is Not Boring!

I dunno, maybe it is, but you're reading this so half the battle and all that.

I need to buy new luggage and think I can probably get away with a 20-21" carry-on and a 25" stowaway (bring on the jokes!). I've kinda, maybe, sorta narrowed it down to the Travelpro Platinum Elite Softside Spinner Wheel Luggage and the Away Bigger Carry-On and Medium, based on reviews and talking to a few people. I think medium-priced is fine, I'm not looking to buy Tumi.

I can be swayed by a thoughtful and meaningful recommendation in some other direction. I don't travel much, especially lately, but I usually try to buy decent quality so I don't have to replace it (whatever "it" is) for a few years. I intend to use the carry-on for weekend car trips but would prefer the two pieces to match so the "use a garbage bag for the weekenders" won't really fly (oh, we can do puns too!) for this 55 year old.

Have at it people of DBR...and OPK.
    Last edited by Rich; 12-26-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I dunno, maybe it is, but you're reading this so half the battle and all that.

I need to buy new luggage and think I can probably get away with a 20-21" carry-on and a 25" stowaway (bring on the jokes!). I've kinda, maybe, sorta narrowed it down to the Travelpro Platinum Elite Softside Spinner Wheel Luggage and the Away Bigger Carry-On and Medium, based on reviews and talking to a few people.

I can be swayed by a thoughtful and meaningful recommendation in some other direction. I don't travel much, especially lately, but I usually try to buy decent quality so I don't have to replace it (whatever "it" is) for a few years. I intend to use the carry-on for weekend car trips but would prefer the two pieces to match so the "use a garbage bag for the weekenders" won't really fly (oh, we can do puns too!) for this 55 year old.

Have at it people of DBR...and OPK.
    Was yesterday THAT bad for you?!?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Was yesterday THAT bad for you?!?
    LOL, I'm really bored! As I mentioned in that other thread, Christmas for a single Jewish guy during COVID is as bad as it gets!

And I've decided to possibly make a trip to see family in Florida in January or February.
    Rich

If you happen to be a Costco member, their luggage (limited selection, of course) is very good and attractively priced...got my big suitcase there, though most of the time I try to travel with only my cleverly constructed carry on bag.

I've been really happy with the carry-on size of this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY0U3DX

-jk

I’ve had an AWAY for business travel for years and it’s awesome. Lightweight. Convenient. Indestructible. Good value for the price.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

This is what my luggage has been doing the last few years.

4F38B1D0-A12B-43E9-A81B-580C0FDE785B.jpg

I’ve had to travel once per year for the last 9 years and half those trips were back and forth the same day, so my luggage needs have been minimal. This coming off of 7 years of a nearly a week a month of travel. Long story short I need new luggage so I’m following this thread.

So who prefers four wheels (for easier handling in the airport) or two wheels (for easier handling on bumpy sidewalks)?

I have the two wheeler.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    So who prefers four wheels (for easier handling in the airport) or two wheels (for easier handling on bumpy sidewalks)?

I have the two wheeler.

-jk
    I've found that the more wheels, the more opportunity for something wacky - busted wheel, something gets stuck, something squeaky, etc. I might feel differently if I were toting super heavy luggage, but two wheels does me just fine.

I have the two wheeler.

-jk
    I'm torn and have the same question for the carry-on. I've had both and have found the 4 wheel spinners to be better for the bigger bags since you pretty much have to wheel them all the time and can't pick them up in a pinch. Having a 2 wheel 25" or bigger bag trail you in a crowded area can be a frustrating challenge.
    Rich

I have the two wheeler.

-jk
    Don't most 4 wheel suitcases also operate as 2 wheelers when tilted? I don't think you have to choose...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I’ve had an AWAY for business travel for years and it’s awesome. Lightweight. Convenient. Indestructible. Good value for the price.
    Thanks Doc, they do look nice and get rave reviews!

But I've always used soft shell luggage with outer pockets in which I can stuff a sweater. My biggest concern with the hard shell bags is that most don't have a pocket. I'm also not sure if I can get used to the clamshell packing. I've always had bags with one big, expandable area to pack. Thoughts?
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Don't most 4 wheel suitcases also operate as 2 wheelers when tilted? I don't think you have to choose...
    The four wheelers I’ve seen have much smaller wheel diameters, so more susceptible to bumps.

-jk

I do everything possible to travel with a medium siZed back pack as my only item. Between a school pack and a camping pack. I can get through 2 week international trips in mild environments with it. More if I’ll have access to laundry or it will be hot.
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 12-27-2021 at 10:05 AM.

The four wheelers I’ve seen have much smaller wheel diameters, so more susceptible to bumps.

-jk
    The four wheels are spinners that are fully exposed from the stem while the two wheelers only point forward and are mostly protected by the bag so less mobility, but less susceptible to damage.
    Rich

One other feature: I like having a compression zipper. After I close it, the compression zipper gets everything snug. If I need it, I can leave it uncompressed for a little extra room (but risk not fitting the overhead bin).

-jk

-jk
    The four wheels are spinners that are fully exposed from the stem while the two wheelers only point forward and are mostly protected by the bag so less mobility, but less susceptible to damage.
    Ah, got it. Fair enough, I'm probably willing to trade the more versatile maneuvering for having to replace the suitcase slightly more often, but I can see where someone who travels more than I do (which, realistically is everyone in this thread ) would place a higher premium on durability.

But I've always used soft shell luggage with outer pockets in which I can stuff a sweater. My biggest concern with the hard shell bags is that most don't have a pocket. I'm also not sure if I can get used to the clamshell packing. I've always had bags with one big, expandable area to pack. Thoughts?
    One other feature: I like having a compression zipper. After I close it, the compression zipper gets everything snug. If I need it, I can leave it uncompressed for a little extra room (but risk not fitting the overhead bin).

-jk
    Those outside pouches make everything so much easier going through security, and serve as an easy access place to keep phone chargers and such as well. Closing the compression zipper is also so unexpectedly satisfying I might do it when I get home today just for fun (I got a new suitcase for Christmas myself, time to break it in), so I'm definitely team soft-shell. Also think they look better, if vanity is a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Closing the compression zipper is also so unexpectedly satisfying I might do it when I get home today just for fun (I got a new suitcase for Christmas myself, time to break it in), so I'm definitely team soft-shell.
    The Away hard shells have a compression/expandable zipper as well, but hard shells by their nature are harder to overstuff.

Wanna share what you got?
    Rich

The Away hard shells have a compression/expandable zipper as well, but hard shells by their nature are harder to overstuff.

Wanna share what you got?
    As it turns out (I had to check) I got the TravelPro Platinum Elite! I definitely like it (although I haven't traveled with it yet). Will say that the zippers are a little stiff going around the corners, but I'm expecting (or at least hoping for) that to loosen up with some use. It isn't so bad that I would see it as a big problem or anything if it doesn't, though, just enough to notice. On the non-functional side, I get a kick out of the "rims" on the wheels. Reasonably nice looking as well, I got the vintage gray. I think the coastal blue (don't worry, not as light as the name implies) with the leather trim looks really sharp if you can find it in stock.

If it’s your only piece of luggage, no backpack or other such small carry on, I can see where the clamshell without external pockets could be more challenging at certain moments during travel.

The side by side packing is actually super efficient for me. I like being able to separate my stuff and keep it more organized once I open it at my destination. (One side has netting with a zipper to keep everything in place as you open and close the bag.)

As for compression, the AWAY has a cool little feature on one side that uses tension straps to be able to compress whatever you put under it. Also, because the clamshell only gives so much, the rigidity actually helps you compress your stuff when you close the two side together BEFORE zipping it shut (as opposed to a soft shell that gives and therefore relies on a zipper to do the compression around the edges, which invariably leaves an awkward lump in the middle of the bag that can sometimes become a problem in overhead bins.)
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block