Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    you're putting words in my mouth. I never said things were "going well," but I did push back on the notion that she was inactive, or doing nothing, or waiting until the end of the season to look for candidates, none of which is true.
    I will trust that you know what you are talking about here....and have some sources of information. To most of us, short of inside knowledge, which I fully admit I do NOT have....from the outside this is not going well, and that's not a good look. It is possible she's long had a list of solid potentials - meaning they are good fits for Duke and would be interested in the job - but there is nothing on the surface to indicate that's the case. We are not just a few days into this, in reality...we are 6-7-8 weeks into this, in reality. Or should be.

Damn, there is some negativity swamping what is otherwise a nice article about our AD.

Reminds me why I stay on the OTB much more these days.

Kara Lawson seems like a home run hire to me. Not sure why some assume that a football hire is somehow beyond Nina — or are carping about it “taking so long.”

Maybe we let her do her job, and then folks can tell us why she is doing a poor job in their esteemed opinion?

Just a thought.

And I’ll add this Q & A which seems relevant to the discussion:

Q: Duke is known for its men’s basketball program. Not so much football. A decade ago, I asked Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick, as the school suffered through a few mediocre seasons, whether academically selective private schools could still compete with major public universities on the football field. He was adamant they could, and in fact the following season Notre Dame made it to the championship game. But I’m curious, especially since you worked at Notre Dame, whether you think Duke can or should aspire to be a top-10 football program, competing with the likes of Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State.

A: One hundred percent yes. We’ve seen Notre Dame, obviously. But we’ve also seen Northwestern and Stanford succeed. It can be done. I understand where we are in our season and where the program is right now. [At the time of our interview, Duke was 3-4 and 0-3 in conference games.] We’re working on identifying how we get there, to be the top of the ACC and a great program in the country.

Sure, we have our challenges, but everyone has challenges. A lot of it is financial for us. We’re paying $80,000 per scholarship per year here. You look at state schools and it’s maybe a fourth of that. It’s expensive here. We know what our challenges are, we know we need to get better, and we will.

It was a really great interview, for sure. Certainly happy to have her at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It was a really great interview, for sure. Certainly happy to have her at the helm.
    Agreed. (And my post was not aimed at you, although I assume you know that).

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I will trust that you know what you are talking about here...and have some sources of information. To most of us, short of inside knowledge, which I fully admit I do NOT have...from the outside this is not going well, and that's not a good look. It is possible she's long had a list of solid potentials - meaning they are good fits for Duke and would be interested in the job - but there is nothing on the surface to indicate that's the case. We are not just a few days into this, in reality...we are 6-7-8 weeks into this, in reality. Or should be.
    So you admit that you have no inside knowledge, yet you are willing to conclude that "from the outside, this is not going well." Actually, from the outside, there's really no way of knowing whether or not the search for a new head coach is going well, is there? For all we know, the AD may already have a new head coach lined up, just waiting for an agreed-upon time to make the public announcement. Or she may be actively interviewing several candidates to determine which prospective coach would be the best fit for Duke. The fact that "there is nothing on the surface to indicate that's the case" is hardly surprising, given the longstanding tradition of coaches requesting that their intention to move be kept confidential until they can wrap up their duties with their current programs.

Is it possible that she's still sifting through potential hires, working against a backdrop of sudden unexpected changes in college coaching? Yes, it's certainly possible. And guess what? She wouldn't be the only major college AD confronted with those difficulties. But where's the evidence to support your presumption that "this is not going well"? In my opinion, what's really "not a good look" here is Duke fans publicly suggesting that the new AD should be prematurely judged as someone who is already failing at her job.

You argue that "we are 6-7-8 weeks into this, in reality. Or should be." In the first place, how do you know that the new AD hasn't been hard at work putting together a succession plan behind the scenes, and that the plan is proceeding as intended? For that matter, what would you suggest she should have done differently 8 weeks ago on October 8, when the Duke football team was sitting with a record of 3-2, the day before a 4-point loss to Georgia Tech? Was it so readily apparent then that a coaching change would be necessary at the end of this season? Should the new AD have foreseen that Duke would lose the last 6 games by such embarrassing margins?

I agree with OPK here. There will be ample opportunity for Duke fans to criticize Nina King if the results of her coaching hires and general job performance ultimately show that such a lack of confidence in her ability is deserved. But I see no justification for the expressions of negativity and doubt at this point.

If no one on this thread knows

Then the search is without doubt going well. People talk when things do not go well. Competent searches exhibit exemplary confidentiality.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    So you admit that you have no inside knowledge, yet you are willing to conclude that "from the outside, this is not going well." Actually, from the outside, there's really no way of knowing whether or not the search for a new head coach is going well, is there? For all we know, the AD may already have a new head coach lined up, just waiting for an agreed-upon time to make the public announcement. Or she may be actively interviewing several candidates to determine which prospective coach would be the best fit for Duke. The fact that "there is nothing on the surface to indicate that's the case" is hardly surprising, given the longstanding tradition of coaches requesting that their intention to move be kept confidential until they can wrap up their duties with their current programs.

Is it possible that she's still sifting through potential hires, working against a backdrop of sudden unexpected changes in college coaching? Yes, it's certainly possible. And guess what? She wouldn't be the only major college AD confronted with those difficulties. But where's the evidence to support your presumption that "this is not going well"? In my opinion, what's really "not a good look" here is Duke fans publicly suggesting that the new AD should be prematurely judged as someone who is already failing at her job.

You argue that "we are 6-7-8 weeks into this, in reality. Or should be." In the first place, how do you know that the new AD hasn't been hard at work putting together a succession plan behind the scenes, and that the plan is proceeding as intended? For that matter, what would you suggest she should have done differently 8 weeks ago on October 8, when the Duke football team was sitting with a record of 3-2, the day before a 4-point loss to Georgia Tech? Was it so readily apparent then that a coaching change would be necessary at the end of this season? Should the new AD have foreseen that Duke would lose the last 6 games by such embarrassing margins?

I agree with OPK here. There will be ample opportunity for Duke fans to criticize Nina King if the results of her coaching hires and general job performance ultimately show that such a lack of confidence in her ability is deserved. But I see no justification for the expressions of negativity and doubt at this point.
    If only there were a place to Speculate about the hiring of Duke's next FB Coach ...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    wonder if she might choose Junior Danowski?
    She might, but that’s far from a sure thing. There are a number of successful head coaches out there with strong ties to Duke—Kevin Cassese, Joe Alberici, Mike Murphy, Taylor Wray, Chris Gabrielli, John Galloway. If she chose to go with a current assistant, Matt Dano would be neck-and-neck with Brad Ross (Duke alum and Navy OC)and Jameson Koesterer (Hop DC).And if you wanted to do another Kara Lawson-type roll of the dice, Kyle Harrison is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    She might, but that’s far from a sure thing. There are a number of successful head coaches out there with strong ties to Duke—Kevin Cassese, Joe Alberici, Mike Murphy, Taylor Wray, Chris Gabrielli, John Galloway. If she chose to go with a current assistant, Matt Dano would be neck-and-neck with Brad Ross (Duke alum and Navy OC)and Jameson Koesterer (Hop DC).And if you wanted to do another Kara Lawson-type roll of the dice, Kyle Harrison is out there.
    And isn't there another great candidate currently on the staff in Ron Caputo? My non-insider perspective is that the more years that pass, the more it seems to be teed up for Matt, but as you very accurately suggested, there are a ton of great candidates who would make sense and it will hopefully remain an extremely desirable job. But hopefully we will have many more years of Coach Danowski.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Damn, there is some negativity swamping what is otherwise a nice article about our AD.

Reminds me why I stay on the OTB much more these days.

Kara Lawson seems like a home run hire to me. Not sure why some assume that a football hire is somehow beyond Nina — or are carping about it “taking so long.”

Maybe we let her do her job, and then folks can tell us why she is doing a poor job in their esteemed opinion?

Just a thought.

And I’ll add this Q & A which seems relevant to the discussion:
    I think the negativity is largely coming from one poster who tends to traffic in hot takes and strong opinions and then expects the entirety of DBR to be a dialogue about their hot takes and strong opinions. And if decisions aren't made quickly enough to suit their need for hot takes and strong opinions, then clearly the world is not conforming to their oh-so-important needs so something clearly must be wrong. Perhaps said poster could slow down and read the room a bit. I know they have generated a fair amount of discussion in other threads, a few "Do not follows" and quite a few PMs.

As OPK wisely noted, Nina has no obligation to us to tell us what is going on. I have no insider information but I am sure this process has been going on for a while as the wheels started coming off the program. There are a ton of moving parts involved and this is a huge, long term commitment involving many millions of dollars and the future of the program - it should not be done quickly to satisfy the impatient. Tomorrow's games plus the unexpected changes at Notre Dame and Oklahoma might understandably have slowed the process a bit. If we have not heard anything in a few weeks, then maybe we can be concerned. But until then, let's focus our attention on potential candidates. And the merits of the movie A Christmas Story.

A big thank you to the adults in the room.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

And those standing up for the merits of A Christmas Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    So you admit that you have no inside knowledge, yet you are willing to conclude that "from the outside, this is not going well." confidence in her ability is deserved. But I see no justification for the expressions of negativity and doubt at this point.
    That's actually not what those words mean. What they mean is that the outside perception is indeed that the Athletic Dept was caught flat footed in a hire they should have known was in the offing for many weeks.... compared to many other schools that are moving swiftly. What the words BEFORE that mean...is that IN SPITE OF the outside perception, I'll choose to believe the insider knowledge, because he has insider knowledge.

This was nothing more than acknowledging that things are not always as they seem.

That's actually not what those words mean. What they mean is that the outside perception is indeed that the Athletic Dept was caught flat footed in a hire they should have known was in the offing for many weeks... compared to many other schools that are moving swiftly. What the words BEFORE that mean...is that IN SPITE OF the outside perception, I'll choose to believe the insider knowledge, because he has insider knowledge.

This was nothing more than acknowledging that things are not always as they seem.
    Oh, that clears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    of course...it's a great job with a bundle of possible candidates...I have no horse in this particular race...just want us to keep the success rolling.

That's actually not what those words mean. What they mean is that the outside perception is indeed that the Athletic Dept was caught flat footed in a hire they should have known was in the offing for many weeks... compared to many other schools that are moving swiftly. What the words BEFORE that mean...is that IN SPITE OF the outside perception, I'll choose to believe the insider knowledge, because he has insider knowledge.

I'm not sure why I am dignifying this with a response as I basically said my peace above, but let me ask some questions that I think several others are also asking:

- whose "outside perception" other than yours?
    - how do you know they didn't know it was in the offing for many weeks? Does Nina have you on speed-dial and ask for your expert opinion for every decision she makes? I'm not on her short list of people to call but I am fairly confident that she has been working on this for a while.
    - What "many other schools" are significantly ahead of Duke in the hiring process? Particularly peer schools (the big boys tend to act first then the dominos fall from there)
    - Have you ever changed jobs before? Did you just accept the first offer that was given to you? There is usually some back and forth - it takes time. I don't think I would want to hire a coach who was dumb enough to accept the first offer they received unless Duke dramatically overpaid, which also wouldn't make me happy.

Bottom line - if Duke doesn't have a coach in a week, I will start to be a bit concerned. But I think that a lot is going to shake out in the next 48-72 hours for many schools. Patience is a virtue. Step back from the keyboard. Enjoy some great football today.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm not sure why I am dignifying this with a response as I basically said my peace above, but let me ask some questions that I think several others are also asking:

- whose "outside perception" other than yours?
    - how do you know they didn't know it was in the offing for many weeks? Does Nina have you on speed-dial and ask for your expert opinion for every decision she makes? I'm not on her short list of people to call but I am fairly confident that she has been working on this for a while.
    - What "many other schools" are significantly ahead of Duke in the hiring process? Particularly peer schools (the big boys tend to act first then the dominos fall from there)
    - Have you ever changed jobs before? Did you just accept the first offer that was given to you? There is usually some back and forth - it takes time. I don't think I would want to hire a coach who was dumb enough to accept the first offer they received unless Duke dramatically overpaid, which also wouldn't make me happy.

Bottom line - if Duke doesn't have a coach in a week, I will start to be a bit concerned. But I think that a lot is going to shake out in the next 48-72 hours for many schools. Patience is a virtue. Step back from the keyboard. Enjoy some great football today.
    I've also been somewhat perplexed at some of the perspectives in this thread. It would seem to me that perhaps one logical reason we haven't heard anything may have something to do with the fact that one or more top candidates on Nina King's list are coaching for teams that are still playing to secure a berth in the CFP and thus are not inclined to entertain an offer quite yet. Sure, Brian Kelly bucked that trend by heading to LSU—but that was a guy going from top tier independent program to top tier SEC program for a big dump truck full o' money, and he's getting absolutely skewered (rightfully so, in my humble opinion) in the media and in the memeverse of social media for both his actions and his horrendously executed faux southern accent.

And those standing up for the merits of A Christmas Story.
    I'm asking my wife for a Red Ryder BB gun again this holiday season... She still won't get me one, though, as she's certain I'll shoot my eye out...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I've also been somewhat perplexed at some of the perspectives in this thread. It would seem to me that perhaps one logical reason we haven't heard anything may have something to do with the fact that one or more top candidates on Nina King's list are coaching for teams that are still playing to secure a berth in the CFP and thus are not inclined to entertain an offer quite yet. Sure, Brian Kelly bucked that trend by heading to LSU—but that was a guy going from top tier independent program to top tier SEC program for a big dump truck full o' money, and he's getting absolutely skewered (rightfully so, in my humble opinion) in the media and in the memeverse of social media for both his actions and his horrendously executed faux southern accent.

I'm asking my wife for a Red Ryder BB gun again this holiday season... She still won't get me one, though, as she's certain I'll shoot my eye out...
    Perhaps she was going to hire Monken, but the DBR blowback about the option gave her cold feet.

Perhaps then the fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

Good luck getting the Red Ryder. I’ve already reserved my Peking Duck for Christmas supper.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good luck getting the Red Ryder. I’ve already reserved my Peking Duck for Christmas supper.
    With or without the head?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    With or without the head?
    Are you kidding? We fight over who gets the head.