Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Add CB Jeremiah Lewis to those entering the portal. That's an unfortunate loss.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...jeremiah-lewis
    Jeremiah was honored on senior day. He wasn't going to stay another year. Same situation as Lummie Young IV.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Jeremiah was honored on senior day. He wasn't going to stay another year. Same situation as Lummie Young IV.
    Thanks DitBD.I wonder why he waited to announce.

Shayne Simon announced his transfer from Notre Dame yesterday. He's a linebacker who was good when he played, but dealt with some injuries that kept him from being a full-time starter. He was a 4-star prospect coming out of high school and Elko was his primary recruiter to Notre Dame (Duke also offered him), so I'd think Duke would be a solid contender here. Would be a huge pickup if Duke can get him

Quote Originally Posted by polaremu View Post
    Shayne Simon announced his transfer from Notre Dame yesterday. He's a linebacker who was good when he played, but dealt with some injuries that kept him from being a full-time starter. He was a 4-star prospect coming out of high school and Elko was his primary recruiter to Notre Dame (Duke also offered him), so I'd think Duke would be a solid contender here. Would be a huge pickup if Duke can get him
    Thanks. Yes, it sounds like he would be a good pickup for Duke. If Coach Elko is wooing him, let's hope it happens.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by polaremu View Post
    Is he healthy again, or at least expected to be? Wouldn't make much sense to pursue a guy if he won't be playing much for us, either.
    From this article, it sounds like he's not yet there. At least he does have 2 years eligibility.

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/spor...al/8956983002/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Correction...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Red Shirt Junior Jeremiah Lewis (#39) was not honored on Senior Day. You may have confused him with Josh Backwell (#31) who was honored at senior day

Lewis graduated from Duke last week.

Since Gunnar still doesn't have a transfer home, is there any chance that Elko could convince him to stay at Duke?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Since Gunnar still doesn't have a transfer home, is there any chance that Elko could convince him to stay at Duke?
    Holmberg is going to James Madison. Announced it several weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Holmberg is going to James Madison. Announced it several weeks ago.
    I thought he announced it then didn't get in academically so is now back in the portal?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I thought he announced it then didn't get in academically so is now back in the portal?
    I expect was the absence of a qualified graduate program at JMU, not his academic rejection.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Regardless of why, he is back in the portal with no transfer destination as of now.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I expect was the absence of a qualified graduate program at JMU, not his academic rejection.
    Perhaps - it is a matter of perspective. Based on the little I know of the situation, it shows a lack of good sense by Gunnar and/or JMU that they did not make sure there was an appropriate program for him before announcing that he was going there.

Though perhaps it is also a credit to JMU that they were not willing to just stick him in a program for which he had no appropriate prerequisite academic background so that he could play for their football team, as I'm guessing most schools would find a place to put the football player.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Perhaps - it is a matter of perspective. Based on the little I know of the situation, it shows a lack of good sense by Gunnar and/or JMU that they did not make sure there was an appropriate program for him before announcing that he was going there.

Though perhaps it is also a credit to JMU that they were not willing to just stick him in a program for which he had no appropriate prerequisite academic background so that he could play for their football team, as I'm guessing most schools would find a place to put the football player.
    This is all a bit weird. JMU offers an MBA and a Master's of Public Administration. Gunnar is a public policy major. Perhaps there's a "work-first" requirement. Hard to believe that couldn't be waived, inasmuch as he graduated some time ago.

I agree that any hitches should have been determined in advance.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Regardless of why, he is back in the portal with no transfer destination as of now.
    I wouldn't mind if new OC Johns was having a chat or three with Gunnar.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This is all a bit weird. JMU offers an MBA and a Master's of Public Administration. Gunnar is a public policy major. Perhaps there's a "work-first" requirement. Hard to believe that couldn't be waived, inasmuch as he graduated some time ago.

I agree that any hitches should have been determined in advance.
    it used to be the case that the graduate course of study was not offered at your current institution. Duke offers an MBA. Whether this restriction is STILL the case, I have no idea. i can't keep up.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it used to be the case that the graduate course of study was not offered at your current institution. Duke offers an MBA. Whether this restriction is STILL the case, I have no idea. i can't keep up.
    I did not know that Gunnar was back on the market. Thanks for the update. I'm on the fence about this. If Elko thinks Duke can compete for a bowl next season--probably the ceiling for this team--then Holmberg makes sense. But if he's shooting for 2023 then maybe it makes sense to go with some combo of Leonard, Moore and/or Diamont and build towards that long-term goal.

I feel like if Gunnar was going to come back we'd have heard that by now.

I did not know that Gunnar was back on the market. Thanks for the update. I'm on the fence about this. If Elko thinks Duke can compete for a bowl next season--probably the ceiling for this team--then Holmberg makes sense. But if he's shooting for 2023 then maybe it makes sense to go with some combo of Leonard, Moore and/or Diamont and build towards that long-term goal.
    I like your line of thinking, Jim. As one who is not expecting miracles next season, but simply improvement, I'd rather look years down the road instead of a few months. One single ACC win next year is improvement. A bowl, while nice, isn't necessary to show that we are making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I feel like if Gunnar was going to come back we'd have heard that by now.
    I agree here, too, but since Johns' signature has barely dried on the contract, Gunnar hearing him out wouldn't surprise me. There is something to be said for finishing where you started.

I've looked at worse conundrums. There can be silver linings in each choice here.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I like your line of thinking, Jim. As one who is not expecting miracles next season, but simply improvement, I'd rather look years down the road instead of a few months. One single ACC win next year is improvement. A bowl, while nice, isn't necessary to show that we are making progress.
    I'd expect at the very least, similar cleanliness and conditioning improvements as in cut's first year.

Elko doens't seem like he's interested in using "it's just my first year" as an excuse. I expect him to be believing he can win every game.
    April 1

I believe Gunnar has two more years of eligibility if he wants to use them.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide