Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Duke Football Transfers...outgoing and incoming

I figure there will be many, hopefully on both sides though, so might as well have a thread for it.

Gunnar is reportedly amongst those on the way out. (Bobo too, but that was expected since he took part in Senior Day.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke Football Transfer Portal Watch 2021

I guess it is time to get this started. So far, we have 3 guys in the portal:

Lummie Young
    Gunnar Holmberg
    Jake Bobo

(Source for Bobo and Holmberg - multiple Twitter sources: https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/stat...24243630424071)

Young and Bobo were honored on Senior Day, so not a huge surprise. I wish them both the best at their next destination, Bobo in particular deserves some football success and an enthusiastic fan base. Holmberg is a little strange, only because he wasn't honored on Senior Day. Was he honored previously and then ended up coming back? Interesting.

I'm sure we'll be adding more names (in both directions) in the coming weeks/months. Some transfers are to be expected, so no need for doom and gloom as more names are added (and other than Gunnar being mildly curious there is nothing terribly bad here so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I guess it is time to get this started. So far, we have 3 guys in the portal:

Lummie Young
    Gunnar Holmberg
    Jake Bobo

(Source for Bobo and Holmberg - multiple Twitter sources: https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/stat...24243630424071)

Young and Bobo were honored on Senior Day, so not a huge surprise. I wish them both the best at their next destination, Bobo in particular deserves some football success and an enthusiastic fan base. Holmberg is a little strange, only because he wasn't honored on Senior Day. Was he honored previously and then ended up coming back? Interesting.

I'm sure we'll be adding more names (in both directions) in the coming weeks/months. Some transfers are to be expected, so no need for doom and gloom as more names are added (and other than Gunnar being mildly curious there is nothing terribly bad here so far).
    I don't think a program like Duke can afford to lose senior starters (not that I blame them). Losing Tangelo, Waters and Jordan last year (who all went to major programs) really hurt us.
    Oh well, more scholarships for the new guy.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't think a program like Duke can afford to lose senior starters (not that I blame them). Losing Tangelo, Waters and Jordan last year (who all went to major programs) really hurt us.
    Oh well, more scholarships for the new guy.
    It hurts for sure, but at the same time it is hard for me to blame guys for wanting to use their 6th (COVID) year somewhere else. That is a long time to be with a program.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I guess it is time to get this started.
    That's trippy. We had the same thought at almost the exact same time.

I'm adopted, so I'd like a DNA sample, please.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...g-and-incoming
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's trippy. We had the same thought at almost the exact same time.

I'm adopted, so I'd like a DNA sample, please.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...g-and-incoming
    Ha! You just barely edged me out.

It hurts for sure, but at the same time it is hard for me to blame guys for wanting to use their 6th (COVID) year somewhere else. That is a long time to be with a program.
    sure, that's why I said I don't blame them. It's tedious to get beat up week after week. Hopefully we keep guys like that in the future...we can offer them some decent graduate school options.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I figure there will be many, hopefully on both sides though, so might as well have a thread for it.

Gunnar is reportedly amongst those on the way out. (Bobo too, but that was expected since he took part in Senior Day.)
    FYI Gunnar was a red shirt junior. He told me Jake was exploring returning next year and Jake confirmed it. That was Friday evening.

Our new coach will have an opportunity to recruit them to stay at Duke.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I think it makes sense for Holmberg to move on, find a team that knows his skill set and can utilize him, versus working under a new coach that may want to institute a new system and may not use him. I bare him no ill will for wanting to take a shot elsewhere.

I think the transfer portal is going to be swinging wildly on the way out, and it will hurt Duke in the short run. However, it may be necessary for a change in culture and attitude as well.

And honestly, it might be a little funny if Gunner winds up at App.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I think it makes sense for Holmberg to move on, find a team that knows his skill set and can utilize him, versus working under a new coach that may want to institute a new system and may not use him. I bare him no ill will for wanting to take a shot elsewhere.

I think the transfer portal is going to be swinging wildly on the way out, and it will hurt Duke in the short run. However, it may be necessary for a change in culture and attitude as well.

That's a totally fair perspective. I am assuming and hoping that every player will be evaluated and it's quite possible that the depth chart will get reshuffled because of it.

I don't think a program like Duke can afford to lose senior starters (not that I blame them).
    I agree with you. This thread gives me indigestion. Offense was dysfunctional this season and we are losing our best running back, best receiver and starting quarterback. Sigh...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree with you. This thread gives me indigestion. Offense was dysfunctional this season and we are losing our best running back, best receiver and starting quarterback. Sigh...
    These are unsettling times indeed. It is my hope that no one lures Riley Leonard away. His nickname could be The Future.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post

It makes for Gunnar to go unfortunately. As someone else pointed out, a new coach is likely going to want to focus on QBs with multiple years remaining, and he was already seeing series get used for the young guys. It's less certain for Bobo, but I understand wanting a fresh start at this point. He's given a lot to Duke and I'm sad to see him go, but I wish him nothing but the best.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Our new coach will have an opportunity to recruit them to stay at Duke.
    like with Lawson, though, whether he chooses to is surely a case-by-case basis.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    like with Lawson, though, whether he chooses to is surely a case-by-case basis.
    Gunnar and Bobo would have likely entered the portal even if Cut had stayed
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I'll miss seeing Lummie, Gunnar, and Jake on the field next season (assuming they do actually transfer...a given I'm sure.) I will especially miss Mr. Bobo. He is one tough SOB who has a great pair of hands and appears to have a never say die attitude - really fun to watch in my opinion. I wish all three the best though wherever they end up.

Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post
    It makes for Gunnar to go unfortunately. As someone else pointed out, a new coach is likely going to want to focus on QBs with multiple years remaining, and he was already seeing series get used for the young guys. It's less certain for Bobo, but I understand wanting a fresh start at this point. He's given a lot to Duke and I'm sad to see him go, but I wish him nothing but the best.
    yeah, Bobo has caught the same eight yard pass 100 times in his Duke career, he's ready for something new. I agree about Gunnar, a new coach will be starting anew...

yeah, Bobo has caught the same eight yard pass 100 times in his Duke career, he's ready for something new. I agree about Gunnar, a new coach will be starting anew...
    But does Duke have any legitimate starting QB on the roster right now or will the new coach be starting from scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    But does Duke have any legitimate starting QB on the roster right now or will the new coach be starting from scratch?
    Leonard could be the guy, obviously looked great against Louisville (but mixed results in his other limited action). Hard to say.