Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    My understanding of the portal is that all it really does is rescind a prior rule which required a student to get permission from his current team before contact with another school could be initiated. In other words, students were never free to contact another school (and vice versa), and if a student did ask for permission, the current school was free (after the current season ended) to withdraw a student's scholarship offer if they asked for permission to leave. The transfer portal just rescinds the permissive component, and now schools MUST enter a student's name in the portal database within 2 days of notification from the student, but the rest of that is unchanged. So a school remains free to withdraw the scholarship once the student enters the portal. Obviously schools don't have to withdraw a scholarship, and even if they do, they don't have to make that decision immediately. But many coaches don't want to have players on the team who don't really want to be there.

So entering the portal is definitely a risk from the point of view of the athlete.

What I don't know is how much illicit contact happens anyway. I doubt a lot up to this point, since I've not heard of violations. But with the new rule not requiring a "sit out" year for the first transfer, I'm guessing the temptation for violations is much, much higher than it used to be. I'd be a bit surprised if we don't see some violations of this type somewhere down the road.
    If I'm a 4/5-star who signed in the past couple years, I'm annoyed 2022 grads benefit from a bidding war among boosters for NIL money, while I'm stuck with whatever my school's folks have left over after buying the new class.

Outside of the SEC, I'm not sure how many schools have boosters who are motivated and strategic enough to be proactive for guys who haven't entered the portal vs. shiny object HS recruits.

Speaking of, how is NIL shaping up for #DukeGang?

Quote Originally Posted by laxdawg97 View Post
    If I'm a 4/5-star who signed in the past couple years, I'm annoyed 2022 grads benefit from a bidding war among boosters for NIL money, while I'm stuck with whatever my school's folks have left over after buying the new class.

Outside of the SEC, I'm not sure how many schools have boosters who are motivated and strategic enough to be proactive for guys who haven't entered the portal vs. shiny object HS recruits.

Speaking of, how is NIL shaping up for #DukeGang?
    Is "#DukeGang" still a thing? Or did it follow Cut?

I did see an Elko billboard on I-85 heading into Durm this weekend. Didn't notice if it had the hashtag.

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Is "#DukeGang" still a thing? Or did it follow Cut?

I did see an Elko billboard on I-85 heading into Durm this weekend. Didn't notice if it had the hashtag.

-jk
    I'd like to think that DukeGang is very much like The Brotherhood. First off, it's all marketing, but secondary, it's something that is also adopted by the team, both past and present players. I don't think Jon Scheyer is going to be going to the marketing folks looking for something new and flashy. I think Coach Elko has bigger things to worry about as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The complete lack of #DukeGang stuff since Elko took over makes me think it has gone away. Since it was a creation the previous staff, I wouldn't necessarily have expected it to stick (and I was never enamoured with it anyway, I think we can do better). Our DB coach after Derek Jones left didn't keep tweeting about Cheetahs either, and that's fine too.

If #DukeGang were as successful as #TheBrotherhood I would feel differently, but I think Duke Football is due for some rebranding.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The complete lack of #DukeGang stuff since Elko took over makes me think it has gone away. Since it was a creation the previous staff, I wouldn't necessarily have expected it to stick (and I was never enamoured with it anyway, I think we can do better). Our DB coach after Derek Jones left didn't keep tweeting about Cheetahs either, and that's fine too.

If #DukeGang were as successful as #TheBrotherhood I would feel differently, but I think Duke Football is due for some rebranding.
    I'm sure they'll have some thing or another. I would hope, though, that they keep the involvement in the city/community. Along with the wins, I think that was some of the best things to come out of the cutcliffe era.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm sure they'll have some thing or another. I would hope, though, that they keep the involvement in the city/community. Along with the wins, I think that was some of the best things to come out of the cutcliffe era.
    Elko talked about that at hi introductory press conference.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Elko talked about that at hi introductory press conference.
    Agreed, if anything I expect Elko to be even more aggressive (in a good way!) with outreach to the Durham community based on the way he has talked about it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If Duke Football were as successful as Duke Basketball, or vice versa, either would be easily flipped. Duke football doesn't need rebranding, it needs success.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Glad to see the Gang and Cheetahs both go. Not much to rally around when you lose your eight ACC games by an average of 19 points. Let Elko come up with what he's comfortable with (e.g. better coached players).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If Duke Football were as successful as Duke Basketball, or vice versa, either would be easily flipped. Duke football doesn't need rebranding, it needs success.
    Yes, but it wasn't. We're in total program overhaul mode, no reason to hang on to artifacts of the prior staff's personality if it doesn't have any real success/cachet attached to it. Plus, it was never all that great to begin with (just IMO obviously), always felt kind of forced to me.

Yes, but it wasn't. We're in total program overhaul mode, no reason to hang on to artifacts of the prior staff's personality if it doesn't have any real success/cachet attached to it. Plus, it was never all that great to begin with (just IMO obviously), always felt kind of forced to me.
    I liked it, but I'm and idiot, what the hell do I know. And I'm totally fine with the Elko regime starting afresh.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I liked it, but I'm and idiot, what the hell do I know. And I'm totally fine with the Elko regime starting afresh.
    Yeah, I think whether they continue to use a marketing hashtag is low on my list of things that are an issue for effecting the needed change in the program.
    April 1

“Elko Hates Rocco”

(Have not run that past the marketing major in the family)

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    Nate Thompson is into the portal…
    Jarett Garner and Jalen Alexander as well.
    Bob Green

Who will be the last man standing?
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I imagine we'll see more names announced before all is said and done. Some people just want to find some joy in football at the end of their career and don't want to be part of a rebuild (I stole that line from someone but not sure who). Some may not have had a place in the new scheme. Some may not be excited about the culture change...not suggesting this applies to any of the portal guys necessarily but "No more soft stuff" may not have been music to everyone's ears.

I wish all these guys well, and hope they show out on their new teams.

I hope their replacements at Duke do even better.

This.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Opening up scholarships, I guess.

I imagine we'll see more names announced before all is said and done. Some people just want to find some joy in football at the end of their career and don't want to be part of a rebuild (I stole that line from someone but not sure who). Some may not have had a place in the new scheme. Some may not be excited about the culture change...not suggesting this applies to any of the portal guys necessarily but "No more soft stuff" may not have been music to everyone's ears.

I wish all these guys well, and hope they show out on their new teams.

It also doesn't hurt/help depending on your perspective that there's now a pretty clear path for players to earn a Duke degree in 3 years. Counting summer terms, redshirts can be halfway there before they ever play a snap. Unless Duke has a desirable grad program they can get into, and is compatible with football, it's often a business decision for education purposes as well as football. Duke is going to need creativity (and $$$) to stay on the right side of this curve.

Rescuing from p. 4… at what point should panic set in that inbound traffic is pretty much non-existent?