Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC

    MLB Hot Stove 2021

    In the past few MLB off seasons, the Hot Stove didnít really pick up until after the turn of the year, but right now the Hot Stove is scalding! Biggest movers have been Bobby Axelrodís Mets, inking prized free agent starting pitcher Max Scherzer to a 3 year $130 million deal, making him the highest paid starting pitcher (on an annual basis) in history. In addition to that, the Amazins have added outfielder Starling Marte for 4 years for $78M and infielder Eduardo Escobar for 2 years for $20M. The Rangers have been busy as well, adding second baseman Marcus Semien for $175M/7 years and starting pitcher Jon Gray for $56M/4 years.

    Starting pitching seems to be moving the fastest in this market; in addition to Scherzer and Gray noted above, Kevin Gausman is heading north to Toronto for $110M/5 years; Eduardo Rodriguez is going to the Tigers ($77/5 years); Steven Matz is on his way to the Cards ($44M/4 years); Anthony DeSciafani is staying in SF ($36M/3 years); Justin Verlander staying in Houston ($25M/1 year); and Noah Syndergaard is going to the Angels ($21M/1 year).

    As a Nats fan, Scherzerís move to Flushing is emotionally painful for me (I'm happy for him but I dislike that org), and my team doesnít look to be a player in FA spending this year as we are heading into a big (and hopefully short) rebuild. But there are a lot of chips still to fall that could change the balance of power in MLB (Correa, Freeman, Story, the 2020 Dodgers (Seager, Kershaw, Jensen, Taylor), the 2016 Cubs (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Schwarber)). Should be an exciting few months!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    In the past few MLB off seasons, the Hot Stove didnít really pick up until after the turn of the year, but right now the Hot Stove is scalding! Biggest movers have been Bobby Axelrodís Mets, inking prized free agent starting pitcher Max Scherzer to a 3 year $130 million deal, making him the highest paid starting pitcher (on an annual basis) in history. In addition to that, the Amazins have added outfielder Starling Marte for 4 years for $78M and infielder Eduardo Escobar for 2 years for $20M. The Rangers have been busy as well, adding second baseman Marcus Semien for $175M/7 years and starting pitcher Jon Gray for $56M/4 years.

    Starting pitching seems to be moving the fastest in this market; in addition to Scherzer and Gray noted above, Kevin Gausman is heading north to Toronto for $110M/5 years; Eduardo Rodriguez is going to the Tigers ($77/5 years); Steven Matz is on his way to the Cards ($44M/4 years); Anthony DeSciafani is staying in SF ($36M/3 years); Justin Verlander staying in Houston ($25M/1 year); and Noah Syndergaard is going to the Angels ($21M/1 year).

    As a Nats fan, Scherzerís move to Flushing is emotionally painful for me (I'm happy for him but I dislike that org), and my team doesnít look to be a player in FA spending this year as we are heading into a big (and hopefully short) rebuild. But there are a lot of chips still to fall that could change the balance of power in MLB (Correa, Freeman, Story, the 2020 Dodgers (Seager, Kershaw, Jensen, Taylor), the 2016 Cubs (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Schwarber)). Should be an exciting few months!
    I will be tacky and reply to myself.

    Not to be outdone by the Mets, the Rangers just committed half a billion dollars to their middle infield, inking Corey Seager to a $325M, 10 year contract (to go along with $175M/10 years for Semien).

    And the run on starting pitchers continues, with Robbie Ray reportedly signing wit Seattle for $115M / 5 years.

    At this rate free agency may effectively be over before the owners meeting next week.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Max

    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    In the past few MLB off seasons, the Hot Stove didnít really pick up until after the turn of the year, but right now the Hot Stove is scalding! Biggest movers have been Bobby Axelrodís Mets, inking prized free agent starting pitcher Max Scherzer to a 3 year $130 million deal, making him the highest paid starting pitcher (on an annual basis) in history. In addition to that, the Amazins have added outfielder Starling Marte for 4 years for $78M and infielder Eduardo Escobar for 2 years for $20M. The Rangers have been busy as well, adding second baseman Marcus Semien for $175M/7 years and starting pitcher Jon Gray for $56M/4 years.

    Starting pitching seems to be moving the fastest in this market; in addition to Scherzer and Gray noted above, Kevin Gausman is heading north to Toronto for $110M/5 years; Eduardo Rodriguez is going to the Tigers ($77/5 years); Steven Matz is on his way to the Cards ($44M/4 years); Anthony DeSciafani is staying in SF ($36M/3 years); Justin Verlander staying in Houston ($25M/1 year); and Noah Syndergaard is going to the Angels ($21M/1 year).

    As a Nats fan, Scherzerís move to Flushing is emotionally painful for me (I'm happy for him but I dislike that org), and my team doesnít look to be a player in FA spending this year as we are heading into a big (and hopefully short) rebuild. But there are a lot of chips still to fall that could change the balance of power in MLB (Correa, Freeman, Story, the 2020 Dodgers (Seager, Kershaw, Jensen, Taylor), the 2016 Cubs (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Schwarber)). Should be an exciting few months!
    I won't like seeing Max in a Mets uniform, but I still wish him well, if not his team. Won't Max be the highest paid player on an annual basis?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    In the past few MLB off seasons, the Hot Stove didn’t really pick up until after the turn of the year, but right now the Hot Stove is scalding! Biggest movers have been Bobby Axelrod’s Mets, inking prized free agent starting pitcher Max Scherzer to a 3 year $130 million deal, making him the highest paid starting pitcher (on an annual basis) in history. In addition to that, the Amazins have added outfielder Starling Marte for 4 years for $78M and infielder Eduardo Escobar for 2 years for $20M. The Rangers have been busy as well, adding second baseman Marcus Semien for $175M/7 years and starting pitcher Jon Gray for $56M/4 years.

    Starting pitching seems to be moving the fastest in this market; in addition to Scherzer and Gray noted above, Kevin Gausman is heading north to Toronto for $110M/5 years; Eduardo Rodriguez is going to the Tigers ($77/5 years); Steven Matz is on his way to the Cards ($44M/4 years); Anthony DeSciafani is staying in SF ($36M/3 years); Justin Verlander staying in Houston ($25M/1 year); and Noah Syndergaard is going to the Angels ($21M/1 year).

    As a Nats fan, Scherzer’s move to Flushing is emotionally painful for me (I'm happy for him but I dislike that org), and my team doesn’t look to be a player in FA spending this year as we are heading into a big (and hopefully short) rebuild. But there are a lot of chips still to fall that could change the balance of power in MLB (Correa, Freeman, Story, the 2020 Dodgers (Seager, Kershaw, Jensen, Taylor), the 2016 Cubs (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Schwarber)). Should be an exciting few months!
    I love Max, he is probably my favorite pitcher in the MLB, and watching him compete is a treat with the fire he displays. He’s a lock for the hall of fame. I would have loved to have seen him come home to St. Louis and end his career as a Cardinal in the birds on the bat (he is from St. Louis and played college baseball at Mizzou where he’s in the hall of fame). With that said, they simply couldn’t afford him or didn’t want to pay him that much. That deal is outrageously high to me, even for him.

    The Cardinals did recently sign a veteran lefty who threw for the Blue Jays last year - Steven Matz. He’s not Max, but they got him for a fraction of the cost at 4 years, $44 million. Still hoping they sign another starting pitcher and a shortstop before the stove turns off. I have heard rumblings the Cardinals may go after former Duke pitcher Marcus Stroman from the Mets.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I love Max, he is probably my favorite pitcher in the MLB, and watching him compete is a treat with the fire he displays. Heís a lock for the hall of fame. I would have loved to have seen him come home to St. Louis and end his career as a Cardinal in the birds on the bat (he is from St. Louis and played college baseball at Mizzou where heís in the hall of fame). With that said, they simply couldnít afford him or didnít want to pay him that much. That deal is outrageously high to me, even for him.

    The Cardinals did recently sign a veteran lefty who threw for the Blue Jays last year - Steven Matz. Heís not Max, but they got him for a fraction of the cost at 4 years, $44 million. Still hoping they sign another starting pitcher and a shortstop before the stove turns off. I have heard rumblings the Cardinals may go after former Duke pitcher Marcus Stroman from the Mets.
    Matz, although a local boy, never could get his head on straight for us in NY. He had an good year however in Toronto. Sometimes a change in scenery helps.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    northern Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I won't like seeing Max in a Mets uniform, but I still wish him well, if not his team. Won't Max be the highest paid player on an annual basis?
    Not sure about that, but I believe that works out to about $1 million per start. Max was my favorite Nat (and I was there for his no-hitter where he was one pitch away from a perfect game), but salaries in pro sports are way out of control.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Well

    Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Not sure about that, but I believe that works out to about $1 million per start. Max was my favorite Nat (and I was there for his no-hitter where he was one pitch away from a perfect game), but salaries in pro sports are way out of control.
    To paraphrase Babe Ruth, when a hedge fund billionaire is paying you, you ainít getting paid too much.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Matz, although a local boy, never could get his head on straight for us in NY. He had an good year however in Toronto. Sometimes a change in scenery helps.
    Yes that is true. He was a 2nd round draft pick by the NYM. Grew up less than an hour from Citi Field. I am not sure if he felt the pressure trying to perform there. Like you said, sometimes a change of scenery is good. He was very good last year for the Blue Jays. He is still only 30. Heíll play most of the 2022 season at just 31 years of age.

  9. #9
    The Mets still need to sign Stro and Baez if they want to compete in 2022.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I won't like seeing Max in a Mets uniform, but I still wish him well, if not his team. Won't Max be the highest paid player on an annual basis?
    Is it just me or does this seem like a bad deal? Not for Max of course but I think the Mets overpaid. He is already 37 and it is a 3 year deal paying him $43 million a year. Big gamble if you ask me.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The Mets still need to sign Stro and Baez if they want to compete in 2022.
    The Tigers are closing in on a 6-year, $140 million deal with an opt-out clause with Baez, a source told ESPNís Buster Olney apparently.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Is it just me or does this seem like a bad deal? Not for Max of course but I think the Mets overpaid. He is already 37 and it is a 3 year deal paying him $43 million a year. Big gamble if you ask me.
    It's certainly a lot of money, and I would bet the Mets were well ahead of the second place bidder but likely had to overpay to get Max to come to a situation that may not be a top WS contender. But it's only money, and only 3 years. If they have to cross into tax threshold they can re-set in year 4 and limit the financial damage. The Mets are in "win now" mode with a new owner with very deep pockets willing to spend. Watching Max's career closely over his time in DC, I would definitely bet with him for next year and probably the year after, and the third year is risk in my opinion. But I've also learned to never bet against that guy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    It's certainly a lot of money, and I would bet the Mets were well ahead of the second place bidder but likely had to overpay to get Max to come to a situation that may not be a top WS contender. But it's only money, and only 3 years. If they have to cross into tax threshold they can re-set in year 4 and limit the financial damage. The Mets are in "win now" mode with a new owner with very deep pockets willing to spend. Watching Max's career closely over his time in DC, I would definitely bet with him for next year and probably the year after, and the third year is risk in my opinion. But I've also learned to never bet against that guy.
    I agree that it seems like the Mets were bidding against themselves and should have paid less. But Cohen basically has infinite money so doesn't care.

    And I think players are becoming smarter about factoring in cost of living and more importantly state income tax rates. For someone in Scherzer's tax bracket (slightly higher than mine!), his NY State tax rate is over 10%. NY City adds about 3.8% more onto that but I assume he won't be an NYC resident so can avoid that. The flip side is that his potential NIL income is likely higher in NY than in most other cities, but this probably doesn't offset the big tax bump, so NY teams have to pay a premium to make him whole.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    I concur

    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Is it just me or does this seem like a bad deal? Not for Max of course but I think the Mets overpaid. He is already 37 and it is a 3 year deal paying him $43 million a year. Big gamble if you ask me.
    It's not just you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree that it seems like the Mets were bidding against themselves and should have paid less. But Cohen basically has infinite money so doesn't care.

    And I think players are becoming smarter about factoring in cost of living and more importantly state income tax rates. For someone in Scherzer's tax bracket (slightly higher than mine!), his NY State tax rate is over 10%. NY City adds about 3.8% more onto that but I assume he won't be an NYC resident so can avoid that. The flip side is that his potential NIL income is likely higher in NY than in most other cities, but this probably doesn't offset the big tax bump, so NY teams have to pay a premium to make him whole.
    In terms of taxes, when he was traded last summer he stated a preference for West Coast teams, which I assume meant the WS contenders, so one of the Dodgers, Padres, or Giants. If that was still his preference, trading NY tax and cost of living for CA tax and cost of living is likely a wash. I guess he could have looked at Houston or Tampa as teams that are WS contenders in no income tax states, but he has also stated a preference for the NL, so threading the needle is likely difficult from that perspective. He's also collected $140M in salary to date, plus has another $105M in deferred payments coming, in addition to this new $130M contract, plus any endorsement deals he has done, so they are probably not looking to find budget accommodations.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree that it seems like the Mets were bidding against themselves and should have paid less. But Cohen basically has infinite money so doesn't care.

    And I think players are becoming smarter about factoring in cost of living and more importantly state income tax rates. For someone in Scherzer's tax bracket (slightly higher than mine!), his NY State tax rate is over 10%. NY City adds about 3.8% more onto that but I assume he won't be an NYC resident so can avoid that. The flip side is that his potential NIL income is likely higher in NY than in most other cities, but this probably doesn't offset the big tax bump, so NY teams have to pay a premium to make him whole.
    He'd pay a NYC nonresident tax (work in NYC, i.e., CitiField, but live in CT or NJ)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    The Tigers are slowly taking over the American League. (OK, very slowly). But at least they're spending some money, filling some holes.

    As for the Mets, very very very hard to root for Steve Cohen. Very hard.

  18. #18
    Marcus Stroman to the Cubs.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Marcus Stroman to the Cubs.
    Was hoping to the Cards. Duke and the Cards.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Tigers are slowly taking over the American League. (OK, very slowly). But at least they're spending some money, filling some holes.

    As for the Mets, very very very hard to root for Steve Cohen. Very hard.
    Not for me.

Similar Threads

  1. 2021 MLB Hot Stove
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-07-2021, 09:55 AM
  2. 2015-16 Hot Stove Baseball
    By burnspbesq in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 02-12-2016, 08:58 PM
  3. Hot Stove Baseball - 2013
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
  4. Hot Stove League
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
  5. Hot Stove Baseball
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •