Thread: Giving Thanks

Giving Thanks

Hi everybody!

It sure is nice to be number one again. And that got me to thinking: consider how fortunate we have been these past 40 years with Coach K and the incredible run he’s had. It is truly remarkable and something for which I am very truly grateful. I came to Duke a non-sports fan, my dad‘s Italian and American sports never figured big in our household, and left a full-fledged Camron crazy. The brotherhood (even before it was the brotherhood) has given me as much joy (and sadness-BIG emotions every which way) as anything non-family related in my life.

Another thing I’m really grateful for this bulletin board. The level of analysis and passion is off the charts and unmatched anywhere else. Maybe Ken Pomeroy himself analyzes analytics more deeply, but peeps who post on this board do a better job than any other normal sports site (eg, ESPN). It is really just amazing. Before the Gonzaga game, I went to their analogous website looking for their analogous fan bulletin board, to see what their basketball world is like. Now I’m not really good at looking for things like that, and I didn’t go look to check again, but I didn’t see anything. We not only have an awesome basketball program, but an awesome fanbase that shows up —virtually and in person. With the possible exception of big blue nation, there are no more passionate fans, and including them there are certainly no more classy fans than Duke fans. It’s really special and something we should all be grateful for.

Finally, we get to do it again for at least one more season, meaning being at or near the top with Coach K at the helm. So while Thanksgiving day has passed, I feel it’s appropriate to give thanks for the bounty that has been Duke basketball.

Go Duke! 9F, but even more than that, GO DUKE!
    PAG T’87

Amen, kidA, this tribute has everything in its right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I might be wrong, but I don't think this team will disappear completely or leave us high and dry

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    I might be wrong, but I don't think this team will disappear completely or leave us high and dry
    Thinking about this team and this year to come is like a Morning Bell that makes me so Optimistic I want to sing the National Anthem. It is more likely that this season will deserve a Motion Picture Soundtrack than to leave us In Limbo.

I wonder what they’re saying over that the Idioteque known as IC?
    Carolina delenda est

Nice, and thanks! I wish I could return the favor. I got 99 skillz, but Jay Z lyrics ain’t one, hit me!

Seeing K give the palms out, "calm down" sign, as the zags game down to the last few seconds, was a special and timeless moment.

How many, many times have we seen that and just knew that it was going to all be ok? I'll miss that.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

“Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you”

— Knute Rockne

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    Hi everybody!

It sure is nice to be number one again. And that got me to thinking: consider how fortunate we have been these past 40 years with Coach K and the incredible run he’s had. It is truly remarkable and something for which I am very truly grateful. I came to Duke a non-sports fan, my dad‘s Italian and American sports never figured big in our household, and left a full-fledged Camron crazy. The brotherhood (even before it was the brotherhood) has given me as much joy (and sadness-BIG emotions every which way) as anything non-family related in my life.

Another thing I’m really grateful for this bulletin board. The level of analysis and passion is off the charts and unmatched anywhere else. Maybe Ken Pomeroy himself analyzes analytics more deeply, but peeps who post on this board do a better job than any other normal sports site (eg, ESPN). It is really just amazing. Before the Gonzaga game, I went to their analogous website looking for their analogous fan bulletin board, to see what their basketball world is like. Now I’m not really good at looking for things like that, and I didn’t go look to check again, but I didn’t see anything. We not only have an awesome basketball program, but an awesome fanbase that shows up —virtually and in person. With the possible exception of big blue nation, there are no more passionate fans, and including them there are certainly no more classy fans than Duke fans. It’s really special and something we should all be grateful for.

Finally, we get to do it again for at least one more season, meaning being at or near the top with Coach K at the helm. So while Thanksgiving day has passed, I feel it’s appropriate to give thanks for the bounty that has been Duke basketball.

Go Duke! 9F, but even more than that, GO DUKE!
    PAG T’87
    As usual, I agree with kidA.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye

— Knute Rockne
    You REALLY walk a fine line sometimes.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 11-29-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: I'd listen to an entire album of Christmas Carols by The Carpenters to get Astley out of my head at this moment.

“Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye

— Knute Rockne
    I believe that song is properly attributed to the duet of Rebecca Welton and Ted Lasso.

“Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye

— Knute Rockne
    Kunte Rockne did rap?

I am confused.

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I believe that song is properly attributed to the duet of Rebecca Welton and Ted Lasso.
    Winner.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agree!

“Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye

— Knute Rockne
    Rickrolling Radiohead?? Flagrant 2!

Rickrolling Radiohead?? Flagrant 2!
    At least you didn’t call me a Creep.

At least you didn’t call me a Creep.
    Wouldn’t want to anger the Karma Police

Wouldn’t want to anger the Karma Police
    I would say something about the Dream Police — but that would just be a Cheap Trick.

I knew they would blow up before they left the Dream Academy. BTW Dream Academy’s “life in a Northern town“ is a paean of sorts to Nick Drake