Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're #1!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Yet another reason why I put very little faith in the computers, particularly this early in the season where there isn't a lot of data. Advanced metrics/computer polls have their value, but I get very frustrated by those who are slaves to them and constantly say "but the computer says..."
    and yet, those who ignore them, at most high levels of most sports have largely found themselves left in the dust.

They don't mean much this early in the year. but ignoring all the data is also a fools game.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    and yet, those who ignore them, at most high levels of most sports have largely found themselves left in the dust.

They don't mean much this early in the year. but ignoring all the data is also a fools game.
    Hence why I led that sentence with "Advanced metrics/computer polls have their value" - I don't disagree but much as ignoring all the data is a fools game, so is being obsessive about it and not recognizing limitations, such as limited data early in the year.

Those who truly succeed in the 21st century in most areas, whether it is sports, business, or whatever else are those who can blend the art and the science to reach conclusions. Too many quant jock types ignorantly swear off the value of qualitative analysis, and too many people who are afraid of numbers swear off the value of data.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Should Duke get past Ohio State late Tuesday night (no guarantee), the schedule looks like this:

11/30: @ Ohio State
    <Two week break>
    12/14 vs. South Carolina State
    12/16 vs. Appalachian State
    12/18 vs. Cleveland State
    <end of noncon schedule, beginning of tough start to ACC schedule>
    12/22 vs. Virginia Tech
    12/29 @ Clemson
    1/1 @ Notre Dame
    <things get a little easier>
    1/4 vs. Georgia Tech
    1/8 vs. Miami
    1/12 @ Wake Forest
    1/15 vs. NC State
    1/18 @ Florida State

The game at Notre Dame concerns me since that has been a rough place for Duke in recent years. Should Duke get past Virginia Tech and the first 3 conference games, the next matchup that looks challenging is at FSU. There is a chance that Duke could be rolling into that matchup as the #1 team in the country with Florida State being one of possibly 2 other ranked ACC teams. That's 8 weeks from tomorrow. Quite a long time for Duke to solidify its place as the #1 team in the nation (and more importantly, a #1 seed in the NCAAT).
    This schedule is one reason why I really hope the team brings its A game to Columbus tomorrow... with as down as the ACC is, this could be our last chance at a "top half Q1" victory this year. Remember at year's end the quadrants on the "team sheets" are divided further in half... so, for instance, the committee can differentiate between beating a Top 5 NET team in Gonzaga on a neutral site and beating a Top 75 NET team on the road. Unless they implode, Ohio State has a pretty good shot at being a Top 30-ish team in the NET come season's end, and thus another top-tier victory. But in the ACC, we're going to be scrambling for similar quality wins. If we beat OSU tomorrow and have wins @OSU and at neutral sites against Kentucky and Gonzaga on our resume, we can absorb the typical bumps and bruises of an ACC schedule with the conference being down. If we falter, we may need to dominate conference play to stick on that top line.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Hence why I led that sentence with "Advanced metrics/computer polls have their value" - I don't disagree but much as ignoring all the data is a fools game, so is being obsessive about it and not recognizing limitations, such as limited data early in the year.

Those who truly succeed in the 21st century in most areas, whether it is sports, business, or whatever else are those who can blend the art and the science to reach conclusions. Too many quant jock types ignorantly swear off the value of qualitative analysis, and too many people who are afraid of numbers swear off the value of data.
    gotcha. As I said, I think this guy is more about driving clicks with contrarian votes than statistical purity.
    April 1

As someone commented on Newell's Twitter, at least he didn't avoid giving them a vote until they played a true road game, lol.

Graham Couch doesn't vote anymore and that makes the world a better place.

We're #1! We're #1! Ibid!

I am not ok with using metrics for the rankings. I am ok with using them for projecting and predicting. Rankings should be about actual results. Duke's resume deserves a #1 ranking. And I Am ok with you projecting Duke would lose a rematch. Rankings look back on results. Not projecting future results.

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    I am not ok with using metrics for the rankings. I am ok with using them for projecting and predicting. Rankings should be about actual results. Duke's resume deserves a #1 ranking. And I Am ok with you projecting Duke would lose a rematch. Rankings look back on results. Not projecting future results.
    I think I agree with you, but do we know what the actual poll form asks? If it asks for people to rank the "best teams" that could conceivably be open to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    as it should. gonzaga was viewed as the best team in the country. we beat them. UNC is not viewed as good...except there
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Metrics - Shmetrics.
    Duke beat the #1 team in the country on a neutral court. Soundly. (Edit, I say soundly because most of the game we were in control. Obviously it was very tight at the end.) But like I said, I'm ok if he is so beholden to the Zags that he leaves them at one, but not having Duke at #2 at least is ridiculous.

That's like saying the day after a national championship game that the loser is the champ, because the numbers say they are better.

But then again, I don't watch sports with my calculator.
    Lucky for all of us, the polls in basketball determine almost less than nothing.

I can't get any more bent out of shape about one writer's ballot than I can about Lunardi's brackets in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Lucky for all of us, the polls in basketball determine almost less than nothing.

I can't get any more bent out of shape about one writer's ballot than I can about Lunardi's brackets in November.
    But that's because the one writer doesn't get to take up half the screen during gameplay like Lunardi does.

just so y'all know....the wildcats over on the UK board have us inked to be gifted an undefeated season including the natty by the ncaa and the "refs"....

just thought y'all would want to know...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    just so y'all know...the wildcats over on the UK board have us inked to be gifted an undefeated season including the natty by the ncaa and the "refs"...

Didn't they have an undefeated season recently? Or am I forgetting something...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    just so y'all know...the wildcats over on the UK board have us inked to be gifted an undefeated season including the natty by the ncaa and the "refs"...

Wooohooo!!!!! Good to know, now all that's left for me to do is pre-order a #6 shirt.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Sign me up.

How is their prediction looking in the future?

Metrics - Shmetrics.
    Duke beat the #1 team in the country on a neutral court. Soundly. (Edit, I say soundly because most of the game we were in control. Obviously it was very tight at the end.) But like I said, I'm ok if he is so beholden to the Zags that he leaves them at one, but not having Duke at #2 at least is ridiculous.
    When Stephen F Austin beat #1 Duke on November 26, 2019, at Cameron, should the AP voters have voted SF Austin #1? Or put them ahead of Duke, or one spot behind us? Or even put them in the top 25? Because nobody put them ahead of Duke in the next week's rankings and only seven voters ranked them at all. I assume you didn't think it was ridiculous then?

Ah, yes. The down-to-earth, level-headed discussion that we are told happens over there
    April 1

Recommendations

Anyone know a good tattoo parlor? Asking for a friend.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    When Stephen F Austin beat #1 Duke on November 26, 2019, at Cameron, should the AP voters have voted SF Austin #1? Or put them ahead of Duke, or one spot behind us? Or even put them in the top 25? Because nobody put them ahead of Duke in the next week's rankings and only seven voters ranked them at all. I assume you didn't think it was ridiculous then?
    Stephen F Austin wasn't ranked within the top 5 at the time. That suggestion is ridiculous. (I'm guessing they did a couple votes in the following polls.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Stephen F Austin wasn't ranked within the top 5 at the time. That suggestion is ridiculous. (I'm guessing they did a couple votes in the following polls.)
    Like I said in my earlier post, they got seven top 25 votes in the following poll.

Once you agree that pulling an upset doesn't automatically grant you ranking rights, isn't the rest just a matter of degree? SF Austin didn't deserve to be ahead of Duke (even though they beat us on our home court) because despite the loss Duke was still the better team. I think that's all the contrarian voter was really saying. Gonzaga was a 9-point favorite against Duke; despite the loss he still thinks Gonzaga is better. What's ridiculous about that?