Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Hard Pass on Anyone Running the Option

Duke FB needs some excitement to get people interested again, and option football, even if it wins 6, 7, 8 games a year just isn't going to do that at Duke, or really anywhere else in my opinion. Plus there is the roster rebuild to get to an option team, and then the undoing of that if/when the option coach leaves or is left. What we need is a high flying offense that puts points on the board, butts in the seats, and eyeballs on the screens. Our defense is likely to struggle to keep teams under 30, so let's get an offensive system that is at least exciting and keeps us in games into the 4th quarter.

I know Jeff Monkin says he's not wedded to running the option, and he'd be a great leader and tick many of the boxes we're looking for, but he'd only be exciting to me if he brings a staff that will run a different offense. Ditto for the other service academy guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think we have discussed him and if I recall, he has a huge buyout still from Texas and would lose much of it if he took another job in the next year or so, which I believe is why he is an "analyst" for the Bears. The initial buyout was over $15 million but I'm not sure how the rest of it works - someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.
    There's also a ton of "noise" from Herman's time at Ohio State that is likely disqualifying...headlined by his (alleged?) involvement in the whole Urban Meyer/Zach Smith ordeal. Just a quick Google search brings back these gems:

https://mountaineersports.com/dirt-on-tom-herman/

Scott Satterfield

I know some don't like to watch option football,and that's fine. I happen to enjoy it. But you can't deny it is one of the best systems for equalizing talent. I'd sign up for Jeff Monken and his system.

Sign me up for option football and Jeff Monkin. We could recruit a top option quaterback every year at Duke,and could compete with anyone on our schedule year in and year out. Spurrier won at Duke because he threw when everyone else was running the ball, now it is totally reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by obowl1955 View Post
    Sign me up for option football and Jeff Monkin. We could recruit a top option quaterback every year at Duke,and could compete with anyone on our schedule year in and year out. Spurrier won at Duke because he threw when everyone else was running the ball, now it is totally reversed.
    It may be the only way Duke can compete- by being unusual. I suspect a large fraction of the fan base will not like it but that may be preferred to playing a traditional offense and losing. It would be an interesting choice. Not sure how long it would take to be successful.

More than anything, we need a guy who can recruit, and who can put together an experienced, effective staff. All else follows from that.

Bob Green!!!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    More than anything, we need a guy who can recruit, and who can put together an experienced, effective staff. All else follows from that.
    Put together and RETAIN an experienced an effective staff and that takes money.

How about Josh Gattis?

Its outside the box but I like the idea of taking a chance on Josh Gattis. Durham native, ACC roots (WF) and has done well as the OC as Michigan (AAU). No experience is a drawback but I think he could bring some excitement. Can he get a good staff? I think he could excite some reruits.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Its outside the box but I like the idea of taking a chance on Josh Gattis. Durham native, ACC roots (WF) and has done well as the OC as Michigan (AAU). No experience is a drawback but I think he could bring some excitement. Can he get a good staff? I think he could excite some reruits.
    I think he was mentioned upthread. I agree that he should be one of our first calls. The question is whether he is holding out for something "bigger." But Duke would be crazy to not call him and ask. He is due to make $1 million next year so would likely be happy to double or triple his salary without Duke breaking the bank to pay $5 million but rather allocating some of that money towards good assistants.

For those who are not familiar, before his current role at Michigan, he spent a year at Alabama and several years at Penn State, and he played briefly in the NFL (he is about to turn 38).

How about Shawn Clark at Appalachian? He has a great program there.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Having a Durham native coaching at Duke would be too good to be true. I don't necessarily know enough about Gattis/the Michigan offense to comment on him as a coach, but his history/career path as a player and coach is almost too perfect for what you would want at Duke.

winning programs

I think Duke is a tough place to win, but who would have thought you could build a winning program at these schools?

#3 cinncinnati
    #16 Houston (does get to recruit texas)
    #18 Wake Forest
    #20 Louisiana (ragin' cajuns)

others receiving votes (UTSA and App state)

UCF has been good

pete carroll will be out of work...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Having a Durham native coaching at Duke would be too good to be true. I don't necessarily know enough about Gattis/the Michigan offense to comment on him as a coach, but his history/career path as a player and coach is almost too perfect for what you would want at Duke.
    Gattis might be the only young coach that if he did well at Duke would stick around. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ...the option is a big negative for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Have always wondered about the option at GT. Did the fan base tire of that offense or of Paul Johnson?...
    Purely anecdotal, but I don't imagine I'm alone (actually I know for a fact that I'm not alone, and would think/hope that it's all but a disqualifying point)...
    I can't stand option football. It's not 1922, and if I want to watch a rugby game, they run that weekly on NBC Sports.
    If Duke hires an option coach, I will fully sign off watching the team until the offense changes, and I'd bet that a lot of casual fans feel similarly (to the extent that Duke football even has "casual" fans anymore...kind of seems like we're down to the die-hards at this point, everyone else having largely checked out for the time being).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Purely anecdotal, but I don't imagine I'm alone (actually I know for a fact that I'm not alone, and would think/hope that it's all but a disqualifying point)...
    I can't stand option football. It's not 1922. If Duke hires an option coach, I will fully sign off watching the team until the offense changes, and I'd bet that a lot of casual fans feel similarly (to the extent that Duke football even has "casual" fans anymore...kind of seems like we're down to the die-hards at this point, everyone else having largely checked out for the time being).
    Would you folk consider the Wake Forest offense to be an option offense?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Would you folk consider the Wake Forest offense to be an option offense?
    Not in its current iteration. Might have some option-style looks, but Sam Hartman averaged 35 pass attempts per game this season.
    During Paul Johnson's last season at Ga Tech (2018), the Jackets averaged 9 attempts per game. That, I simply will not volunteer nearly 4 hours of a Saturday to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I can't stand option football. It's not 1922, and if I want to watch a rugby game, they run that weekly on NBC Sports.
    If Duke hires an option coach, I will fully sign off watching the team until the offense changes, and I'd bet that a lot of casual fans feel similarly (to the extent that Duke football even has "casual" fans anymore...kind of seems like we're down to the die-hards at this point, everyone else having largely checked out for the time being).
    Cosign. I'd rather not watch that garbage either.