Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    The pool of Div I HC’s seems unlikely to yield a diamond in the rough that will come to Duke. If they have a decent resume they will surely have more attractive offers to choose from.

Much more likely to find a brilliant up and coming offensive or defensive coordinator or even a D2 HC. The best of these could see Duke HC as a step up in their career ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    The pool of Div I HC’s seems unlikely to yield a diamond in the rough that will come to Duke - any HC with a decent resume will have more attractive offers to choose from. Much more likely to find a brilliant up and coming offensive or defensive coordinator or even a D2 HC. The best of these would be much more likely to see Duke HC as a step up in their career ladder.
    That would also be my preference but the more popular opinion (and the approach I think Duke will take) is to look for someone with HC experience.

The pool of Div I HC’s seems unlikely to yield a diamond in the rough that will come to Duke. If they have a decent resume they will surely have more attractive offers to choose from. Much more likely to find a brilliant up and coming offensive or defensive coordinator or even a D2 HC. The best of these would be much more likely to see Duke HC as a step up in their career ladder.
    The days of coaches staying 40 years in one spot are rare and mostly gone. Nick Saban was a job jumper before Alabama. When you look at some of recent longevity in the ACC, Jim Grobe peaked after 8-9 years, Paul Johnson about 8-9, and Cutcliffe about 9-10. It's going to take until 2024 before Duke can think about bowling again and longer before any coach gets serious about a different job. If we can keep someone until 2028 or 2029 with some winning records, we will have done very well.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Is it too early? Trooper is interim...whatever that means at the end of a season. Any hot tips?

Mike Houston ECU

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That would also be my preference but the more popular opinion (and the approach I think Duke will take) is to look for someone with HC experience.
    I don’t get it. The argument I laid out seems pretty basic. Are there holes in it that I’m not seeing?

to the people who think Duke head coach isn't an attractive job--there are only about 130 schools, out of about 2000 NCAA members that even play bowl division football. The chance to be the HC at any one of them is an extremely rare, glamorous opportunity that any number of coaches would likely kill their own mothers to get. Duke doesn't have to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    The days of coaches staying 40 years in one spot are rare and mostly gone. Nick Saban was a job jumper before Alabama. When you look at some of recent longevity in the ACC, Jim Grobe peaked after 8-9 years, Paul Johnson about 8-9, and Cutcliffe about 9-10. It's going to take until 2024 before Duke can think about bowling again and longer before any coach gets serious about a different job. If we can keep someone until 2028 or 2029 with some winning records, we will have done very well.
    I agree with everything you said. But I see nothing in there that explains why a successful D1 HC would make Duke their next stop.

I don’t get it. The argument I laid out seems pretty basic. Are there holes in it that I’m not seeing?
    Head Coaches from the MAC or Sun Belt are legitimate candidates. Becoming HC at Duke would mean a big increase in salary and the opportunity to gain P5 experience.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    to the people who think Duke head coach isn't an attractive job--there are only about 130 schools, out of about 2000 NCAA members that even play bowl division football. The chance to be the HC at any one of them is an extremely rare, glamorous opportunity that any number of coaches would likely kill their own mothers to get. Duke doesn't have to settle.
    Agree Duke HC would be very attractive to a lot of football people. Just not to already successful HC’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Head Coaches from the MAC or Sun Belt are legitimate candidates. Becoming HC at Duke would mean a big increase in salary and the opportunity to gain P5 experience.
    Ok, that makes sense. But if they are really good in the MAC/Sun Belt aren’t they likely to get better offers? Seems like a brilliant and ambitious OC or DC would more likely to be available to us.

I seriously doubt he'd come here but I'd love to talk with and offer Ed Orgeron.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    It's going to take until 2024 before Duke can think about bowling again and longer before any coach gets serious about a different job. If we can keep someone until 2028 or 2029 with some winning records, we will have done very well.
    This implicitly brings up an interesting question. With the new transfer rules, can a new coach skilled in the transfer arts shorten a rebuilding timeline? I suspect it would be tougher at Duke, given academic constraints but it might be doable. I just don't know if we have a data base for a new coach coming in and bringing in 15, 20, more (?) transfers. Look how completely Lawson remade the women's basketball roster. Is that an apples and oranges comparison or is something similar possible for football?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    This implicitly brings up an interesting question. With the new transfer rules, can a new coach skilled in the transfer arts shorten a rebuilding timeline? I suspect it would be tougher at Duke, given academic constraints but it might be doable. I just don't know if we have a data base for a new coach coming in and bringing in 15, 20, more (?) transfers. Look how completely Lawson remade the women's basketball roster. Is that an apples and oranges comparison or is something similar possible for football?
    The transfer portal gate swings both ways. Lummie Young is transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    I seriously doubt he'd come here but I'd love to talk with and offer Ed Orgeron.
    But would you understand what he said?

Orgeron?? Uh, no.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Not in this lifetime could I support him as Duke’s coach. Don’t need his off the field issues.

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Not in this lifetime could I support him as Duke’s coach. Don’t need his off the field issues.
    Off field issues?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The transfer portal gate swings both ways. Lummie Young is transferring.
    Lummie Young was honored on Senior Day yesterday so we already knew he wasn’t returning.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I think the days of the 5-year coaching recycle are dead. We can make some improvement for 2022 with the transfer portal. The 2023 schedule will sell a record number of tickets to Wally Wade, but no human could coach Duke to more than 3 wins. That's why I picked 2024.

I agree with everything you said. But I see nothing in there that explains why a successful D1 HC would make Duke their next stop.
    Agree. A successful D1 HC who is not a success at Duke would regress as regard to his allure. This would be a risky position.

Ok, that makes sense. But if they are really good in the MAC/Sun Belt aren’t they likely to get better offers? Seems like a brilliant and ambitious OC or DC would more likely to be available to us.
    Goldsmith came to Duke from Rice with 2 unknown but outstanding coordinators. Staying at the G5 level too long is equally risky--see Ken N. at Navy. When the chance comes to reset your honeymoon in college football, you usually take it.