Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I thought that was Uncle Terry.
    true, the avuncular Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    let's find yet another non thing to get aggrieved about. The University president was referred to as "Nan" for a decade or so, don't recall anyone finding that odd or disrespectful. One of her predecessors fondly referred to as Terry.
    Should we even mention the nickname for the Brodhead Center?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In on-topic news, Jim Knowles' OSU team is getting stomped 21-3 late in the 1st half.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Should we even mention the nickname for the Brodhead Center?
    Ha, I carefully avoided Richard, maybe I can guess the nickname, but I think I'll sit that one out. (I did find Dick to be a very likeable guy)...

We could call the AD "Aunt Nina." But then we'd have to decide how to pronounce "Aunt" and we would run the risk of going off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    We could call the AD "Aunt Nina." But then we'd have to decide how to pronounce "Aunt" and we would run the risk of going off topic.
    Tía Niña.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In on-topic news, Jim Knowles' OSU team is getting stomped 21-3 late in the 1st half.

Ensuring the Big 12 will not be in the playoff for a second consecutive season.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Tía Niña.
    I've always liked La Nina.

It would be great if GA would blow out 'Bama keeping the door open for Cincy and letting a replacement coached Notre Dame into the #4 spot yet again. GA over ND, Cincy over Mich. and a surprising Cincy national title.

This is my dream.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Ensuring the Big 12 will not be in the playoff for a second consecutive season.
    Knowles' defense actually played pretty well. When your offense throws four picks and runs seven plays from the two-yard line or closer in the last two possessions without any of them getting into the end zone, you don't blame your defense for a 21-16 loss.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Knowles' defense actually played pretty well. When your offense throws four picks and runs seven plays from the two-yard line or closer in the last two possessions without any of them getting into the end zone, you don't blame your defense for a 21-16 loss.
    Certainly made great adjustments to force a donut from Baylor in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It turned out to be a very exciting fourth quarter with 2 Baylor goal line stands. 21-16 final.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    It turned out to be a very exciting fourth quarter with 2 Baylor goal line stands. 21-16 final.
    Phenomenal finish. As an unaffiliated fan.

Give Gattis a contract right now. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Coincidentally, the last time Wake Forest was in the ACC championship game in 2006, Josh Gattis was playing in it with Wake.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    💯 Durham roots, ACC player, success in the big time, minority hire, he has everything

I’d back the truck up and empty the vault

Harbaugh calls the plays at Michigan; always has, always will
    He junked Gattis’ “speed in space” scheme after its struggles the past 2 seasons

I dunno about Gattis. Your QB's halftime stats are 11/18 for 64 yards. Just half of 1 game, but don't people around here have a problem with short passes?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    let's find yet another non thing to get aggrieved about. The University president was referred to as "Nan" for a decade or so, don't recall anyone finding that odd or disrespectful. One of her predecessors fondly referred to as Terry.
    I loved Uncle Terry. I despised Nan. Still do.

I’m 67. I’ll call them Kevin and Nina.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I dunno about Gattis. Your QB's halftime stats are 11/18 for 64 yards. Just half of 1 game, but don't people around here have a problem with short passes?
    Not a terrible hire maybe but I think Duke must aim higher at this critical point in changing athletic landscape. NIL and the Transfer Portal (ominous music cue) means we've gone from abusive amateur to pro in 1 year. Mel Tucker making 8 Riley making more and Kelley making more. These guys are making more than the HC of the pro teams. The assistants will make more than the NFL assistants. It's time to rationalize this and take this path to it's logical conclusion. It's time to organize the football team, the first hire should be a general manager - someone that's going to manage player salaries, recruitment- both portal and HS levels, etc someone that understands the hiring of a brand manager to help promotion of players in savvy advertising, etc. All the things that a GM will do in the pros plus some and then from a new team perspective. Then hire HC- bring in 2 really good high energy young pro coaches for OC and DC positions , bring in staffs that know how to develop pro talent. Work with the GM to have some speciality that distinguishes Duke. Clemson Alabama and Georgia do that with D. OK did that with O. UNC did that by cheating. Just please don't do the later.

Spend the same amount on NIL as you do on the HC position but plan to grow that out. Hire a $5mln coach (just a good one, not great) and spend $5/year with a 100% growth for 3. End goal of $20mln (just spitballing- exact numbers don't matter but it should be high). That should be the salary of the Duke team sans any outside NIL deals the guys can get. Suggest being ruthless about recruitment through portal with NIL deals. Develop a competency in doing NIL deals that are lucrative and promote players through innovative and savvy use of technology. Have college players be eager for a recruitment call from Duke both for the NIL incomes and development.

I wouldn't worry about the stadium or any capital spend. I'd spend it all on people. UNC has maybe 3 games a year where they can fill that stadium and they've dumped 10's millions into that sink. It's a giant waste. If you pay a good OL $400k per year to go to school, play football, and get trained by an NFL coach you'll be sure to get great OL candidates.

Riley is going to take USC on this path. Miami would like to do this. Northwestern will do this. Stanford has waited too long, they should have fired 5 months ago.

In full disclosure my grad work was Duke, my undergrad was State. NC State can't afford to do this but Duke could and it would help distinguish Duke at a time when the endowment is grossly high. It should more than pay for itself and,just as mens BBall has become something of a legend, help support further giving.