Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    This opinion is with probably 10% of the research of the rest of y'all, but I'll vote for Todd Monken.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Possibly because their successor to their ex-coach has a team playing this weekend, and he doesn't want to pull a"riley" on them and walk away suddenly.
    At least Oklahoma is out of the CFP discussion entirely. Notre Dame still has a shot at being in the CFP, depending on what happens in games this weekend. Given that fact, I think it would be more aptly referred to as 'pulling a Kelly'.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Forgive those of us with lack of football knowledge, but why was the date moved? It seems to cause problems for just about everyone.
    Technically, the date wasn't moved. They just added an early signing period back in 2017. National signing day for football is still in early February, but most recruits [and surely coaches] just want to get it done before the holidays, so the bulk of commitments now seem to be made on early signing day in mid-December. Some of the top rated guys will wait until February, so they can bask in the spotlights and make their announcement on ESPN, but the foundation of most classes will be in place by mid-December.

Also... some solid names being tossed out there in this thread. I'd be ecstatic if Nina is able to land a top coordinator from one of the teams still playing or waiting for a spot in the CFP.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Duke hired David Cutcliffe on December 14,2007.
    His press conference was the following day. It was determined he would coach in Tennessee’s bowl game before moving into the Duke job full time.

Paint me naive but I’m in the camp that says Duke will announce its new head coach hiring early to middle of next week.
    “Naive” is your word, not mine, but yes, the coach-hiring world does not move at the same speed that it did 14 years ago. Except, apparently, at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This opinion is with probably 10% of the research of the rest of y'all, but I'll vote for Todd Monken.
    I agree with this. I have tried to keep up with this thread, but I easiy may have missed this part. I'm primarily concerned with trying t get a coach who has a chance of improving our recruiting. Any system will run better with better players. Even with our self-imposed limitations I feel we have under recruited the past few years. Monken is a well known commodity in the Southeast. He certainly won't hurt recruiting and could very well improve it significantly. That includes assistants he will be able to attract.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    “Naive” is your word, not mine, but yes, the coach-hiring world does not move at the same speed that it did 14 years ago. Except, apparently, at Duke.
    I’m hoping for the intriguing hire no later than mid next week. Beyond that and I’m concerned for 2022 recruiting.

It may be that some coaches on our short list are involved in playoffs/bowl games and are tied up at the moment (as others have mentioned), and have not had an opportunity to have an all important face-to-face with Ms. King*. Zoom meetings probably don't cut it for a hiring of this magnitude. If we are waiting to have in-person meetings, we might not know for another week who we are hiring (or at least trying to hire).

Speaking of potential Duke coaches, has anyone considered Shawn Clark from App State? He is a proven winner there, with lower rated recruits than Duke (some transfers may have helped improve their overall talent). He also took an under-performing transfer QB from Duke, and seems to have turned him around. Brice this year at App State is 215 of 337 passing for 2901 yards, with 22 TD's and 10 Interceptions.

*It bothers me a little that our Athletic director is referred to frequently as "Nina". Admittedly, I may have also been guilty of this. We don't refer to our previous AD as "Kevin", or our basketball coach as "Mike".

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I agree with this. I have tried to keep up with this thread, but I easiy may have missed this part. I'm primarily concerned with trying t get a coach who has a chance of improving our recruiting. Any system will run better with better players. Even with our self-imposed limitations I feel we have under recruited the past few years. Monken is a well known commodity in the Southeast. He certainly won't hurt recruiting and could very well improve it significantly. That includes assistants he will be able to attract.
    Duke has had recruiting success in Georgia so it seems reasonable Monken could increase that success. I’m anxious for an announcement but more concerned Duke makes a solid hire.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    *It bothers me a little that our Athletic director is referred to frequently as "Nina". Admittedly, I may have also been guilty of this. We don't refer to our previous AD as "Kevin", or our basketball coach as "Mike".
    Kay Dub never really caught on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

I think it's because she has a unique name; it is easily recognizable so we know who is being talked about. Same way with Coach Lawson, who is frequently referred to as Coach Kara, or simply Kara.

If they were Nancy and Julie, you would not be seeing it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It may be that some coaches on our short list are involved in playoffs/bowl games and are tied up at the moment (as others have mentioned), and have not had an opportunity to have an all important face-to-face with Ms. King*. Zoom meetings probably don't cut it for a hiring of this magnitude. If we are waiting to have in-person meetings, we might not know for another week who we are hiring (or at least trying to hire).
    Given this seems to be a logical conclusion one might draw, perhaps we should take a look at the list of coordinators playing in today's games and those from teams waiting in the wings on results that might benefit their prospects for receiving a CFP invite tomorrow?

Big 12
    Baylor—Jeff Grimes (OC), Ron Roberts (DC)
    Oklahoma St—Kasey Dunn (OC), Jim Knowles (DC)

SEC
    Georgia—Todd Monken (OC), Dan Lanning (co-DC), Glenn Schumann (co-DC)
    Alabama—Bill O’Brien (OC), Pete Golding (DC)

Big-10
    Michigan—Josh Gattis (OC), Mike MacDonald (DC)
    Iowa—Brian Ferentz (OC), Phil Parker (DC)

AAC
    Houston—Shannon Dawson (co-OC), Brandon Jones (co-OC), Doug Belk (DC)
    Cincinatti—Mike Denbrock (OC), Mike Tressel (DC)

ACC
    Pitt—Mark Whipple (OC), Randy Bates (DC)
    Wake—Warren Ruggiero (OC), Lyle Hemphill (DC)

Waiting in the wings
    Notre Dame—Tom Rees (OC), Mike Elston (DC)
    Ohio State—Kevin Wilson (OC), Kerry Coombs (DC), Tony Alford (Asst. HC Offense)

Knowles is italicized due to the direct connection to Duke (former member of Cut's staff). There are a lot of good names on this list. I'd be please if Nina King were able to pull of a hire from among this group.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think it's because she has a unique name; it is easily recognizable so we know who is being talked about. Same way with Coach Lawson, who is frequently referred to as Coach Kara, or simply Kara.

And even then, when the context was clear, I remember a number of people referring to Dr. White as “Kevin” on this and other message boards.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 12-04-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    And even then, when the context was clear, I heard a number of people refer to Dr. White as “Kevin” on this and other message boards.
    I have never once referred to him as Dr. White or even Mr. White for whatever that's worth.

Agreed. And it is compounded by her having a fairly common last name. Kind of like Nolan Smith - somewhat unique first name, common last name, so we all call him Nolan.

Speaking of potential Duke coaches, has anyone considered Shawn Clark from App State? He is a proven winner there, with lower rated recruits than Duke (some transfers may have helped improve their overall talent). He also took an under-performing transfer QB from Duke, and seems to have turned him around. Brice this year at App State is 215 of 337 passing for 2901 yards, with 22 TD's and 10 Interceptions.

As an undergrad App alum and Yosef Club member Coach Clark is most likely staying put. He's a lifer (loves Boone, is an alum, knew the program inside an out prior to being promoted). He's just the stabilizing presence App needed after the quick turnarounds with Satterfield (Louisville) and Drinkwitz (Missouri).

It must just be me, then. Maybe I’ll change once she invites me over for a pig picken’ and a few beers. I’m expecting that call any day now.

Until that happens, I’ll probably skip the first name basis. Because, where I’m from, we say grace and we say ma’am. If you ain’t into that . . .
    😇

It must just be me, then. Maybe I’ll change once she invites me over for a pig picken’ and a few beers. I’m expecting that call any day now.

Until that happens, I’ll probably skip the first name basis. Because, where I’m from, we say grace and we say ma’am. If you ain’t into that . . .
    😇
    It is not just you. I think Nina King or just King are the way to go.

let's find yet another non thing to get aggrieved about. The University president was referred to as "Nan" for a decade or so, don't recall anyone finding that odd or disrespectful. One of her predecessors fondly referred to as Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    It is not just you. I think Nina King or just King are the way to go.
    King AD-rock?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    let's find yet another non thing to get aggrieved about. The University president was referred to as "Nan" for a decade or so, don't recall anyone finding that odd or disrespectful. One of her predecessors fondly referred to as Terry.
    Speaking of another non thing to get aggrieved about, pot meet kettle. Just kidding. Back to coach speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I thought that was Uncle Terry.