Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

FB Coach Speculation

Is it too early? Trooper is interim....whatever that means at the end of a season. Any hot tips?

It's not speculation at this point. I doubt Taylor is doing any more than Kevin Cassese did for lacrosse in 2007.

Tough coaching search

We will need to go the G5 or Coordinator route, as the job is one of the worst in Power 5. The 4 private Academic schools in the P5 won a combined 3 conference games this year (Stanford 2, Northwestern 1 (which Duke beat), Vandy and Duke 0.
    Some recruiting analysts have said the early signing period has really hurt recruiting because borderline admission players may need to provide full Fall term results to get approval. Understandably players do not want to be left out if they do not get admitted and other schools have allocated scholarships. Nina has a tough search in front of her, but hopefully the financial/staff and facility advances made under Cut will help whoever is hired.

Trying to hold onto the current recruits.
    Even though GoDuke says the search for a new HC begins now, I suspect it began some time ago with exploratory work (talent search firms, etc).

I'm in for Bill O'Brien. If he'll come and if Duke will pony up

The Chronicle has a list. I think some of the educated guessing we have been doing here has been better as there are a few obvious ones who aren’t on this list.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...WSN6kkrLMAHAIg

Jim Knowles, paging Jim Knowles

If not, and I’ve mentioned elsewhere, Clark from UAB

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I'm in for Bill O'Brien. If he'll come and if Duke will pony up
    Ha, I have no view personally, but I know O'Brien makes some heads explode at Duke...I do not think you'll be seeing him in Durham, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post
    We will need to go the G5 or Coordinator route, as the job is one of the worst in Power 5. The 4 private Academic schools in the P5 won a combined 3 conference games this year (Stanford 2, Northwestern 1 (which Duke beat), Vandy and Duke 0.
    Are BC, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Baylor not private academic schools?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ha, I have no view personally, but I know O'Brien makes some heads explode at Duke...I do not think you'll be seeing him in Durham, but who knows?
    After watching O'Brien be widely derided as a bad coach and bad GM for what felt like 40 years (I'm not sure how long he was actually in Houston) I'm not especially inclined to bring him back to Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The Chronicle has a list. I think some of the educated guessing we have been doing here has been better as there are a few obvious ones who aren’t on this list.
    inb4 Duke initially hires Mike Houston and then goes for Will Healy after Houston backs out.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Jim Knowles, paging Jim Knowles

If not, and I’ve mentioned elsewhere, Clark from UAB
    I like Knowles, but I might like the OC at Wake Forest even more. Clawson's offense has moved way ahead of Duke's in the last 4-5-6 years, and is eons ahead now. If you're Clawson's OC, you were probably hoping that Clawson would take a big time HC job and allow you to follow him there...or remain as WF's head coach. I'm thinking that guys is ripe for the picking.

Ted Lasso maybe? He’ll hire good assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...WSN6kkrLMAHAIg
    Surprised they didn't list Gattis in the assistant list, just because the Durham connection adds a little pizazz to the article.

Some recruiting analysts have said the early signing period has really hurt recruiting because borderline admission players may need to provide full Fall term results to get approval. Understandably players do not want to be left out if they do not get admitted and other schools have allocated scholarships. Nina has a tough search in front of her, but hopefully the financial/staff and facility advances made under Cut will help whoever is hired.
    But it will pay well enough and if you do well- it will be a huge stepping stone. Duke will not be a good coach’s last stop.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    But will he keep their picture in his office

There are other routes. Duke is capable of hiring a former head coach with experience like we did with Cutcliffe. I think ND, Wake, and BC would argue with your private academic characterization.

Every candidate is going to have a few warts. The 16-26 Ivy League record at Cornell is a major concern with Knowles. I think a fresh start away from previous assistants is warranted if possible. The next Steve Spurrier wasn't working with Franks, Roof, or Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    But will he be able to keep them?
    Last edited by cato; 11-28-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I like Knowles, but I might like the OC at Wake Forest even more. Clawson's offense has moved way ahead of Duke's in the last 4-5-6 years, and is eons ahead now. If you're Clawson's OC, you were probably hoping that Clawson would take a big time HC job and allow you to follow him there...or remain as WF's head coach. I'm thinking that guys is ripe for the picking.
    Pardon the edit of my own post...but Warren Ruggierio is Clawson's long time OC...from Bowling Green and Wake. He's bound to be a bit disappointed that Clawson is staying at Wake...and we've seen him put up 59 at Wally Wade...I've no idea if he's HC material, but he's an innovator and bound to be looking for a move up.

Been hoping for this firing for so long that now I'm suddenly confronted by the reality of how hard it is to win here and how hard it will be to find the right fit
    Pratt '09, Grad '10