Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A good coach. A great man. I hope we can keep him around.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    A good coach. A great man. I hope we can keep him around.
    Cutcliffe did revitalize Duke Football. He most likely knew that he could help the team by negotiating a departure. Class act. I walked around the Duke Sports complex after attending the Women's Basketball game. Duke has quality facilities. It is not Clemson or NC State in scale. However, I think the next coach will be able to get Duke winning again. Duke was on a downward spiral and the right decision was made today.

Quote Originally Posted by ecs15 View Post
    really has been a while since we've been through one of these. I'm really sad it didn't work out...I was so optimistic about a turnaround this year to 5-6 wins
    No reason to be, just grateful because it did work out. Yes I know you’re referring to recent history but Coach Cut succeeded to a degree that I dare say few here imagined possible upon his hire.

I hope Coach Cut remains affiliated with Duke going forward. He can be extremely proud of the work he did as Duke’s HC.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post

I hope Coach Cut remains affiliated with Duke going forward. He can be extremely proud of the work he did as Duke’s HC.
    If Cut was gonna stick around, why was there a “separation” (not a “retirement”)?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    No reason to be, just grateful because it did work out. Yes I know you’re referring to recent history but Coach Cut succeeded to a degree that I dare say few here imagined possible upon his hire.

I doubt he will stick around. He will be off to coach somewhere. He is well respected by his peers.

he'll get a job no doubt, but it won't be a head coaching job, that's for sure. It may be as a lure to the wee Manning lad.

Thanks, Coach Cutcliffe. You represented Duke and the program very well, and revived it from laughingstock to respectability, all while operating in a manner that expressed traditional values and a drive for excellence. I hope Duke can build further on the foundation you laid.

Senior Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    he'll get a job no doubt, but it won't be a head coaching job, that's for sure. It may be as a lure to the wee Manning lad.
    I can see it now, an advisory role, like Dr. Henry Kissinger late in life. The art of the $500,000 phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Cutcliffe did revitalize Duke Football. He most likely knew that he could help the team by negotiating a departure. Class act. I walked around the Duke Sports complex after attending the Women's Basketball game. Duke has quality facilities. It is not Clemson or NC State in scale. However, I think the next coach will be able to get Duke winning again. Duke was on a downward spiral and the right decision was made today.
    Agree with this. 6 bowls in 7 years was unheard of in the winter of 2007. Yet, another year of current performance would’ve been catastrophic. Duke was trending to be competitive with lower FCS teams despite a massive talent advantage. As it is, the new guy has a decent sized crater to vanquish.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Maybe the Mannings will hire him themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    I can see it now, an advisory role, like Dr. Henry Kissinger late in life. The art of the $500,000 phone call.
    like that. He's got plenty of money. Something without pressure would have to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I doubt he will stick around. He will be off to coach somewhere. He is well respected by his peers.
    Maybe as QB consultant for, say, the NY Giants?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Maybe as QB consultant for, say, the NY Giants?
    I had this thought too. Or, as mentioned before, maybe sometime of "special coach" for a team like Alabama (or even LSU). I'm sure his presence wouldn't hurt with the recruitment of Arch Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Thank you David Cutcliffe for lifting Duke football out of the abiss and returning us to respectability and relevance! Hell yes Duke football! Best wishes to you and yours on your next chapter. LGD GTHcGTH!
    Thank you Coach for your class, those bowl games and restoring pride to our program.