Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thank you, Coach Cutcliffe!

The University and he have mutually agreed to separate. Headline push from
    WRAL.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 11-28-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

It was time. Thanks for everything Coach.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

thank you ,coach Cutcliffe, for all you've done for Duke Athletics. It's been quite a ride !!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Reposting from other thread:

Class act until the end. Thank you, Coach. As a an alum who was on campus during the absolute nadir of Duke’s football misery, I didn’t think the type of wholesale cultural turnaround he orchestrated was possible. For several years, I was enjoying watching the football program build and have success more than I was enjoying basketball.

The last few years haven’t been ideal and it’s time to change but he’ll always have this Duke alumni’s respect, appreciation and well-wishes.

Thank you David Cutcliffe for lifting Duke football out of the abiss and returning us to respectability and relevance! Hell yes Duke football! Best wishes to you and yours on your next chapter. LGD GTHcGTH!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    thank you ,coach Cutcliffe, for all you've done for Duke Athletics. It's been quite a ride !!
    Does anyone know, from previous Coaching changes, both in ACC and in other conferences, what happens to the committed players on scholarship? Are the scholarships honored? Are they 're-recruited'? Any guesses? Hoping they keep the school's promise to the players.

From GoDuke - "Trooper Taylor, Duke's Associate Head Coach and a member of the staff since 2019, will serve as the interim head coach."
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    Does anyone know, from previous Coaching changes, both in ACC and in other conferences, what happens to the committed players on scholarship? Are the scholarships honored? Are they 're-recruited'? Any guesses? Hoping they keep the school's promise to the players.
    Recruits are not yet signed. They can stay or they can go, their choice.

9F 9F 9F

I've updated the Wikipedia article. Feel free to make changes as necessary.

I hate that it ended like this, but given the state of Duke Football the past few years, it was the right decision.

Again, thanks Coach Cutcliffe for everything you did for Duke Football. I was sitting in a little hut in Iraq when I heard that we had hired Coach Cut 14 years ago, and I was really optimistic about the culture change. I don't get to visit the States often, but I remember the win over Vanderbilt was a big deal, and then I was in the stands for the catch against UNC that made us bowl eligible a few seasons later. So for me, Coach Cut will always embody Duke Football.

I hope that our next hire will have the same class and respectability that Coach Cut had.

Fair Winds and Following Seas...

really has been a while since we've been through one of these. I'm really sad it didn't work out...I was so optimistic about a turnaround this year to 5-6 wins
    Pratt '09, Grad '10

Thanks to Cut for all of the good times you gave us. Goduke calling it a "separation" and not "retirement" sounds like what I expected.

Thanks Coach Cutcliffe for everything you did for Duke football. Duke football? Hell yeah, Duke football!
    Bob Green

Hope

Hey if the Jets and Falcons can win, so can Duke. Thanks for the rebuild, Coach. Enjoy your retirement.

Thank you for restoring the dignity of our program. I hope we can build on your success.

Trooper Taylor named Interim Head Coach. Hopefully his time in charge will be very short.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/11/28/f...eparation.aspx
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    I think in most similar situations, incoming coaches honor the scholarship offers that have already been accepted. One main reason for this, of course, is that there really isn't much time at this point to make any dramatic shifts in recruiting. For context, early signing for the 2022 class is December 15 and NLI day is February 2, but these days are the culmination of months [at the very least] or years [in many cases] of effort that coaching staffs have spent cultivating a relationship with committed recruits. A new coach coming in might generate interest and be able to draw a few new prospects to a class. Of course, a coaching change like this one is just as likely to cause some commitments to withdraw their commitment and reopen their recruitment. Bottom line, most programs have the bulk of their recruiting classes already in place by now, so it would be foolish for an incoming coach to throw that out the window and start from scratch—there simply isn't enough time to pull together a full, quality class in such a short period of time.

what a thrilling run at duke. he was the right man for the job.
    April 1

I’ve said it many times
    Thank you David Cutcliffe for allowing me to give a damn about Duke football.
    The program is in a better place.

God speed
    God bless

Thank you Coach for giving Duke FB something that it hadn't had in a long time, expectations! You showed us what was possible, that we didn't have to settle for being an ACC doormat, that we didn't have to get beaten down by Carolina every year, and that if the right group came along, we could beat the best teams in our conference. I am sad that you won't be the one to led us back to those levels, but I am FOREVER grateful for the miracle you performed in resurrecting Duke FB from the dead. Hell yeah Duke Football!

Thanks to Coach Cutcliffe for making Duke football relevant for several years and giving us hope. And most importantly for doing so with class and decency.