Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The most talented played cramped up and missed most of the second half.

The defensive anchor for the team was saddled with trash foul calls

The captain was dealing with cramping

The team missed multiple front-ends of the one-and-one

Only shot 60% from the FT line for the game

Only shot 7-23 (30.4%) from 3

Got outrebounded 42-31

Didn't matter, because Duke came out with the win.
    Really well put. We left a lot of points out there and got shafted on at least two really bad calls. Still pulled it out. Huge bucket by Roach at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    How did we get 67 field goal attempts to their 64, when they outrebounded us 42-31? TURNOVERS! We forced them into 17 while only commiting 8 ourselves, giving us a 23-2 advantage in points off turnovers. When the dust settles I think that will be seen as the difference in the game between two really good teams.
    Another long-time Duke trademark made a timely appearance: we made more FTs than they attempted.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The most talented played cramped up and missed most of the second half.

The defensive anchor for the team was saddled with trash foul calls

The captain was dealing with cramping

The team missed multiple front-ends of the one-and-one

Only shot 60% from the FT line for the game

Only shot 7-23 (30.4%) from 3

Got outrebounded 42-31

Didn't matter, because Duke came out with the win.
    Statistically, Duke got pretty much outplayed in most statistical categories. Out rebounded. Made less field goals. Shot a worse percentage from the floor. Duke did make 1 more 3 pointer and shot a bit better from 3. Duke shot 14 more free throws than Gonzaga and shot a worse percentage from the line. Duke was out assisted by 7. Duke out stole Gonzaga by 6. Duke out blocked Gonzaga by 1. Duke forced 17 turnovers and only committed 8. Yet, the most important stat - Duke got the WIN. That was the most fun I’ve had watching a Duke game in quite some time.

5 thoughts...

1. I didn't think Duke would win the game. Gonzaga is what I expected, they are a great team, very disciplined, great passing, solid D. What I didn't expect is the play of Williams. I thought he would be effective, but WOW! His defense and hops around the basket was waaay more than I ever hoped for in this particular game. The big man stepped it up! And I don't think Timme and Holmgren expected him to be so effective either, thus their foul trouble.

2. Even though Banchero had the amazing first half and even though Williams played stellar, I thought Moore was the reason why Duke won. 20-6-6 with 4 steals. 7-10 from the line (not great, but on this team it seems like it is). He was the rock in the 2nd half that kept Gonzaga at bay. He took the scoring mantel from Banchero in the 2nd half. That lineup that they had to put out there due to cramps and fouls - Roach, Keels, Griffin, John and Baker... I thought, oh crap, this is where Duke loses. But when Moore came back in, the ship steadied. And Moore's (and Keels') D on Nembhard, forcing him into 6 TOs, was great... I keep thinking it - what a difference from last year!

3. As good as Duke was playing, I was feeling Roach was the weak link. C'mon man, 1 assist and 2-12 from the floor? But then the man hit that big layup. One more time into the breach, as they say, and this time the layup goes in... and Duke was set to close out the game... Banchero had that great 1st half, of course. Keels had an awful shooting night from the floor and the line, though he did dish out 6 assists and played great D. Griffin was a non-factor. So to me, it really was the upperclassmen - primarily Moore and Williams, with Roach, Baker and John in spot roles - that brought this game home.

4. Getting Gonzaga in foul trouble really bothered them. They probably are so used to not have to worry about it. The physicality of Duke did seem to have an effect on them. That foul trouble led to, you've heard it before, Duke making more FTs that Gonzaga attempted.

5. All in all, a great win! But, this is still only November, so one can't get too high about this game. One or two bounces (or a bad or no call here or there - geez, there were enough of those both ways), and Duke loses this game. Yet I think Duke should expect to see Gonzaga down the road. Assuming Duke figures out how to keep Banchero from cramping (!), sure, he should play more minutes and be more effective. But now, Gonzaga has played Duke, understands what's going to happen playing them, and now has the revenge factor going. So a game down the road would be a great one. Assuming no weirdness, injuries, etc., one could assume they will see each other in New Orleans - wouldn't that be an awesome game?

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Anyone want to go in on starting a Go Fund Me to raise some money for an industrial sized cooler and limitless packets of the strongest Gatorade on the market? I want to send it to Banchero and Moore, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    How did we get 67 field goal attempts to their 64, when they outrebounded us 42-31? TURNOVERS! We forced them into 17 while only commiting 8 ourselves, giving us a 23-2 advantage in points off turnovers. When the dust settles I think that will be seen as the difference in the game between two really good teams.
    Our strength on the perimeter is going to give a LOT of teams a lot of trouble. Wendell and and Keels are two of the straight up strongest perimeter defenders in the country, and even Roach is a lot harder to move around out there than you might expect. The ball pressure we can dial up forces guards to throw some ill-advised passes, and our length lets us cut off the passing lanes really effectively. Gonzaga is one of the best cutting teams in the country and a team with some very steady guards, and, while they hurt us with cuts in the first half, especially, the fact that we were able to minimize them in the second half without losing any aggressiveness is a terrific sign. Couldn't be more impressed with the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    This was a title fight. We’re going to see these guys again down the line, I imagine.
    I'd rather not... unless it's the national title game, I'll go with that. But no way I want us to play these guys again before then.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

YES Is good

And man...I knew I should have taken Duke and the points!

Be happy you’re not Tarleton State (Gonzaga’s next opponent).

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Doesn't Williams at least have Rudy Gobert potential if not higher?
    Higher than a 3x NBA DPOY? I love the guy, and he played great tonight. But I think this comment is getting a little ahead of the moment.

That being stated, I'll gladly own up to this post if Williams is a 4x NBA DPOY!

9F

Oh, and the greatest appetizer on the same ESPN channel before the Gonzaga game started - watching the Wolfpack, down 9 to Carolina with 2 minutes left in the 4th, coming back to win!

Choke! Gag! I don't care much about college football, but watching Carolina fall apart in any game never gets old.

9F

Let's gooooo!! Gonzaga had no answer for Mark Williams. Only a ref with extremely questionable vision could stop him. Awesome effort from everyone on the team!

Our 1-2 punch of Wendell Moore and Paolo Banchero seems to be quite potent. With two guys who are that consistent, and guys like Keels and Williams who can also produce these huge games, we are looking like the team to beat now. Will we leapfrog Purdue for #1 on Monday? I think we should.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Since Tre Jones 2 years ago?
    Aside from the UNC game in '20 that he put in OT, Tre wasn't a guy you could count on to get you a bucket in most situations. Like Wendell he did get better from the perimeter. But Moore took this game over with Paolo out. He checked bigger forwards and perimeter guys. He was a factor in every area of the court. With Paolo out I thought he was the best player in a game against the #1 team in the country.

I thought Wendell was a closer resemblance to Tre's brother tonight.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Y'all know how a 27/7/7 is "The LeBron"? I propose a new one - the "Wendell". 20/6/6. I'm blown away by his command of the court this year. He looks so comfortable and confident, it's crazy.

KenPom OE ratings. Williams - 171! You love to see it.

Name
    Min
    ORtg
    Pts
    38 58 6
    37 120 20
    34 72 9
    30 111 21
    29 171 17
    Joey Baker 14 127 6
    Theo John 11 131 5
    AJ Griffin 6

What a win. Heavyweight bout. +9 at tip off was laughable. Easy money. No one, and I mean no one can gameplan like krzyzewski.

However, if you want to hear about not so easy money - had ny rangers + Duke + lakers (against the horrible sac kings) — $250 to win almost 10k. Lakers lose in 3ot.
    Last edited by -jk; 11-27-2021 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Clarity

Wow. What a game. Was there, and was one of the coolest sporting experiences I’ve been a part of in person.

Some random thoughts
    1) Gonzaga did a lot of dancing (in the literal sense) before the game. Weirdly childish behavior.
    2) Thrilled by Paolo and the way he attacked. He wanted the moment and he showed he was built for it, even in the imperfect moments.
    3) I was one who was very worried about Mark guarding both of their bigs. I couldn’t be more pleased to be incorrect. He swallowed them both up and played his butt off. He affected a ridiculous amount of shots.
    4) Bad look game for Timme. He struggles mightily against more athletic opponents. Reminded me of the Baylor game.
    5) Wendell has that DOG in him.
    6) Please stop with the Holmgren / KD comparisons… hes slow and weak. He’s a good player but nowhere near as developed.
    7) Oh, and that +310 didn’t feel too bad! Just disrespectful. Duke is never the underdog!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Williams played so smart. Only 1 bad foul whole game. Plus that block that got called a foul should have been Top Ten on Sports Center!
    As much credit as Mark Williams is getting, he is still not getting enough. He played so well and with such poise and intelligence for a player whose total collegiate court time could be considered limited. He runs the court at a truly elite level for a big man, his combination of length, patience and timing make him the best shot blocker I have ever seen at Duke by far( sorry Shelden Williams) and I truly believe his rebounding is going to become one of our most dominating traits as a team. I was honestly expecting Williams to struggle with Timme and spend a significant amount of time on the bench due to foul trouble and an inability to stop stache-man one on one. I was hoping to see a solid performance but I didn't have the audacity to expect this level of play.

The cramping problem

Wouldn't you think there's somewhere within Duke Hospital there'a an antidote for cramping problems? A team trainer can only do so much.