David Rubenstein top Duke alum donor

Biden is staying at Rubenstein's Nantucket home this weekend. His name is on the rare book library on the main quad,Anderson and Campus Drive arts center and at the Public Policy School. Also the lobby on the Wallace Wade side. Lots of information about him on this Daily Mail story. He has given more than Melinda Gates to Duke and is not nearly as wealthy.

Thought this would be informative to Duke basketball fans . He even said Art Heyman was an influence on his decision to go to Duke.Doubt whether he would kick in donations for our failing football program.I wish he would.Carlyle Group is doing very well.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nksgiving.html

'I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I don't play golf.'

I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

JJ interviewed Rubenstein on his podcast. It’s worth a listen

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4jeJAOcn9HQ3w2JEE4XJjR

Dave was a dorm mate of several of us on this forum. Keep the money flowing, Dave. (I think we all loved roaming the library back then, there was a lot more freedom of movement than now I'm quite sure).

David Rubinstein is always an interesting interviewee. He is smart and knowledgeable, but also self-deprecating. He is also a self-made billionaire, who is very generous with his charitable donations and is passionate about history. He paid to renovate the Washington Monument and other important historical structures. He has made a point of saying that, while others have made a pledge to give away their wealth when they die, his pledge is to give his away while he is living.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    David Rubinstein is always an interesting interviewee. He is smart and knowledgeable, but also self-deprecating. He is also a self-made billionaire, who is very generous with his charitable donations and is passionate about history. He paid to renovate the Washington Monument and other important historical structures. He has made a point of saying that, while others have made a pledge to give away their wealth when they die, his pledge is to give his away while he is living.
    He bought the Magna Carta and put it on permanent display a the National Archives. This is the 1297 version.

Background

In 1215 on the plains of Runnymede an assembly of barons confronted the despotic King John of England and demanded that traditional rights be recognized, written down, confirmed with the royal seal, and sent to each of the counties to be read to all freemen. King John agreed, binding himself and his heirs to grant "to all freemen of our kingdom" the rights and liberties described in the great charter, or Magna Carta.

Between 1215 and 1297, Magna Carta was reissued by each of King John’s successors. To meet his debts from foreign wars, King Edward I imposed new and harsher taxes in 1297. This provoked another confrontation between the king and the barons, resulting not only in the reissue of Magna Carta, but for the first time its entry into the official Statute Rolls of England. The 1297 document on display represents the transition of Magna Carta from a brokered agreement to the foundation of English law.

Only four originals of the 1297 Magna Carta remain. By the 17th century, the one shown here was in the possession of the Brudenell family, the earls of Cardigan. It was acquired by the Perot Foundation in 1984 and purchased by David M. Rubenstein in 2007. David Rubenstein has placed Magna Carta on loan to the National Archives as a gift to the American people.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He bought the Magna Carta and put it on permanent display a the National Archives. This is the 1297 version.
    Great. Now I’m going to have to sit through another Nicholas Cage movie!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not to toot my own horn too much, but I donated a 12/97 version of Microsoft Encarta some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Dave was a dorm mate of several of us on this forum. Keep the money flowing, Dave. (I think we all loved roaming the library back then, there was a lot more freedom of movement than now I'm quite sure).
    Hope Dave can get the renovation of Lilly East Campus Library jump started. Great building that needs 2021 technology and LEED construction.Saw Banchero and Keels there in late September.

https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Hope Dave can get the renovation of Lilly East Campus Library jump started. Great building that needs 2021 technology and LEED construction.Saw Banchero and Keels there in late September.

https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/
    They've raised most if not all of the money. Renovation was supposed to start Summer 2020 before COVID happened. Should start this summer.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    They've raised most if not all of the money. Renovation was supposed to start Summer 2020 before COVID happened. Should start this summer.
    sorry, but based on the epic amount of insensitive overbuilding and destruction Duke has visited on the East Campus in the last 20-30 years, my reaction was "oh great, now they're going to ruin the East Campus library, too."

Tom Coffman Retirement Iron Dukes

Thought this may be of interest to those that understand finances matter in Duke Athletics.
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/12/9/co...athletics.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Great. Now I’m going to have to sit through another Nicholas Cage movie!
    Come on, deep down you know you love the guilty pleasure of watching Nic Cage overact.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Plus the endowment's noted windfall will make projects a bit easier to fund...not everything, but a lot of things.