Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clemmonsdevil View Post
    basically we just watched the citadel poop in the refrigerator and eat a whole wheel of cheese. Heck, i'm not even mad; that's amazing. Good offensive effort by the blue devils.
    baxter!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan5656 View Post
    Citadel only had 1 made ft and one of their players went 0-6 from 3.

Duke only had 3 turnovers.

Just interesting box stats.
    Very interesting...and 3 TOs in a game of that pace is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I would live to see how often in D1 a team hit 18 2s and lost by more than 20.
    They were pulling shots out of every pocket.

We competed hard and look like we are connected.

Great to see Paolo have a big game on both ends. When Brown was tearing us up in the first half, he got pissed and was providing some emotional leadership. Maybe AbateGate is receding.

Amazing FT shooting

Wendell another very solid all around effort. I hope he’s not too banged up

Mark shook off a poor first half to be a real presence in the second half.

I like that Keels, even when he’s not scoring a ton still plays hard and effectively on defense and keeps the D honest with smart attacks and nice passing.

I can’t wait for Gonzaga and look forward to scouting them vs UCLA tomorrow.
    I didn't realize until they mentioned it during the game that Gonzaga is playing UCLA tomorrow. They are doing a Celine-like residency in Vegas, playing Central Michigan tonight, UCLA tomorrow and Duke Friday. I assume a lot of Gonzaga fans are spending Thanksgiving week in Vegas.

I liked the inside-outside balance tonight. And there was a lot of heart and passion out there - it was good to see Paolo get a little mad. Wendell is the guy who is going to will this team to some victories. Good to see Joey go aggressively to the hole a few times.

I hope their coach is OK - that was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I hope their coach is OK - that was scary.
    Yeah, totally agreed. Hope we get a good announcement postgame.

The guy with the sexy shorts? Captain Underpants

When Underpants went down with a cramp in the 2bd one way in our section screamed out "HIS SHORTS ARE TOO TIGHT!"
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Speaking of that 1 for 5 ft, I wonder if any teams has ever more than doubled their ft% with 3pt%
    Don’t think it would be all that unusual. All it takes or a really bad ft performance. 1-7 or 1-6.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Yeah, totally agreed. Hope we get a good announcement postgame.
    it was a pacemaker which fired. word on the street is he should be alright

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    You mean a defibrillator? Either way… yikes!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Must be a typo in their someplace: "fired." -- ????
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

According to the ESPN box, The Citadel had 8 different players attempt a three tonight. Three of those 8 stunk it up (shooting a combined 2-16) BUT, the other 5 guys were a combined 14-18 (or...nearly 78%!!!). That HAS to be some kinda record - to have 5 different players combine for 78% from deep? Crazy, just crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yep...our D wasn't great there but they were just nailing everything from deep. A 26-point win on a 26.5-point spread.

Certainly it was fun to watch if you like offense!

107 points in a regular season game has to be up there for us. Can't imagine we have many 105+ over the years although I have a distinct memory of hanging 102 on Wake Forest when JJ crushed it against Chris Paul in the infamous Patrick Davidson game (I think it was that one at least)...
    Zion says hi.

Good news from the postgame presser, via Dave Thompson on Twitter: 'Citadel assistant coach Jack Castleberry said Duggar Baucom "is as good as he can be. He's in good spirits."'

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yep...our D wasn't great there but they were just nailing everything from deep. A 26-point win on a 26.5-point spread.

Certainly it was fun to watch if you like offense!

107 points in a regular season game has to be up there for us. Can't imagine we have many 105+ over the years although I have a distinct memory of hanging 102 on Wake Forest when JJ crushed it against Chris Paul in the infamous Patrick Davidson game (I think it was that one at least)...
    Citadel had the deadliest shooters I have seen at Cameron. They needed no time to catch and shoot. They should show film of Citadel to have Duke perimeter shooters model. Davis was amazing. I don't know all of their names,but count me impressed. Wish AJ Griffin had gotten a little more PT. Great game from Paolo and Mark. Great preparation for Gonzaga. Wendell Moore has evolved into a great leader. Trevor and Jeremy are both productive. I expect better games ahead for both of them.Gonzaga should be an electric game.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Must be a typo in their someplace: "fired." -- ????
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    i'm out of my league.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Citadel had the deadliest shooters I have seen at Cameron. They needed no time to catch and shoot. They should show film of Citadel to have Duke perimeter shooters model. Davis was amazing. I don't know all of their names,but count me impressed. Wish AJ Griffin had gotten a little more PT. Great game from Paolo and Mark. Great preparation for Gonzaga. Wendell Moore has evolved into a great leader. Trevor and Jeremy are both productive. I expect better games ahead for both of them.Gonzaga should be an electric game.
    Duke left gaps in their three point coverage, and I'm sure there will be some discussion of that in practice. But, man, it's hard to imagine another team taking advantage of those opportunities the way Citadel did.

If someone had told me that we'd give up 18 threes on 52.6% outside shooting, I'd have expected a potential upset. Instead, we won by 26 which is simply amazing.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 72.1 (people were talking about how fast Citadel plays, but this was our 2nd-slowest game of the season)
    oRtg: 1.49 (1.44 "adjusted," for whatever the adjustment is worth in mid-November; this is about as good an offensive game as we could possibly see; not just the equivalent of the best offense in the country, but it was 23 points (per 100 possessions) better than the actual best offense in the country)
    eFG%: 54.1% (good but not spectacular)
    3pt%: 26.7% (not so hot, after three straight great games from three)
    2pt%: 63.6% (outstanding; our best 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 40.5% (way too high, especially since we only shot 27% from out there)
    FT rate: 39.2% (very strong; best FT rate of the season)
    OR%: 46.2% (superb; best OR performance of the season and 2nd straight excellent job on the offensive boards)
    TO%: 4.2% (this is just WOW; we've been good at avoiding turnovers all season, but this is next level stuff)
    a/to: 8.33:1 (beyond belief; I can't ever remember Duke being over 8:1 before; 3rd straight game over 2:1)
    %assisted: 69.4% (highest assist% of the season)
    fast break pts: 20 (18.7% of points; pretty good)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.12 (1.14 "adjusted"; horrendous; the equivalent of the #357 (2nd-to-worst) defense in the nation)
    eFG%: 62.5% (somebody grab a fire extinguisher)
    3pt%: 52.9% (U-G-L-Y, we ain't got no alibi...)
    2pt%: 43.3% (all right, this is pretty good)
    %threes: 53.1% (outrageously high)
    FT rate: 7.8% (amazing; the best of many outstanding efforts at avoiding putting our opponents on the line this season; 3rd time this season that this stat has been under 10%)
    DR%: 77.8% (we've now been pretty strong on the defensive boards in four out of six games (three straight))
    TO%: 18.0% (barely adequate)
    a/to: 1.62:1
    %assisted: 67.7%
    stl%: 11.1% (barely adequate)
    blk%: 7.8% (16.7% of 2pt shots) (good)
    fast break pts: 20 (24.7% of points; gawd-awful; we gave up a ton of fast-break threes)

Pace wasn't the problem, as this game was right about average speed for us. I think we gave up too many open threes early, their confidence swelled, and then even when we guarded them closely they still hit their shots. Other than the threes, our D was actually pretty decent (though Mrs. Lincoln might have something to say about that statement). The good news was our offense was even more amazing than our overall defense was terrible. I doubt we'll see this (or any) team put up too many 1.49 oRatings.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    No doubt, the team I saw tonight offensively could win the SoCon in my mind.
    Of course, Furman - SoCon - beat Louisville ending a 29 YEAR streak of Louisville not losing at home in November.

[QUOTE=dukefan5656;1420443]

Duke only had 3 turnovers.

And 25 assists. How's that for an A/TO %? Odd that this game has so many statistical quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Duke left gaps in their three point coverage, and I'm sure there will be some discussion of that in practice. But, man, it's hard to imagine another team taking advantage of those opportunities the way Citadel did.
    I had a similar thought. If my team did not guard the three at all, I wouldn't expect my oppement to make 52.9% of their threes unless I was playing a team of Curries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Yes- he had a heart event in 1990- they said heart attack but likely an arrhythmia- and then had a implantable defibrillator placed in him in 2006 to help save his life. He must be prone to these events and had one yesterday. Either that or the defibrillator went off by accident- which can happen. Little known fact- Duke was a leader in defibrillation research in the 1980’s and 1990’s.