Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Umm… when did this become the “CameronDuke slobbers over every few minutes of a UVa game against a middling opponent” thread? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Umm… when did this become the “CameronDuke slobbers over every few minutes of a UVa game against a middling opponent” thread? Lol.
    Lol, I admit, I did not see this coming. UVA’s defense looks elite tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Lol, I admit, I did not see this coming. UVA’s defense looks elite tonight.
    Eh, they have a good defense. There will be games where that defense looks elite, especially when the opponent doesn’t make 3s. Nothing really shocking here. They are playing a fellow mediocre team, and said mediocre team is shooting poorly.

It is sort of the opposite of our Citadel game. Where Citadel couldn’t miss a 3 if they tried, Providence just can’t seem to make their 3s. A healthy amount of luck each direction in those games, making our defense appear worse than it was and UVA’s appear better than it has been.

Eh, they have a good defense. There will be games where that defense looks elite, especially when the opponent doesn’t make 3s. Nothing really shocking here. They are playing a fellow mediocre team, and said mediocre team is shooting poorly.

It is sort of the opposite of our Citadel game. Where Citadel couldn’t miss a 3 if they tried, Providence just can’t seem to make their 3s. A healthy amount of luck each direction in those games, making our defense appear worse than it was and UVA’s appear better than it has been.
    No doubt. Providence is 3-18 from 3 now. Woof.

54-40 Hoos with 1:55 left. This is a blowout by UVA’s standards.

UVa destroys providence 58-40.

I wouldn’t want to play this UVa team in March …

Meh, they are still pretty mediocre. I know you are a huge Bennett fan. But let’s hold off on the hyperbole here. They had one good game against a mediocre opponent (helped immensely by a poor shooting night) and have had two awful games. I think we are still a ways away from needing to be concerned about UVa this season.

I will call it now- Bennett wins number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Lol.

Meh, they are still pretty mediocre. I know you are a huge Bennett fan. But let’s hold off on the hyperbole here. They had one good game against a mediocre opponent (helped immensely by a poor shooting night) and have had two awful games. I think we are still a ways away from needing to be concerned about UVa this season.
    Yea I am not trying to overhype them. I agree. The thing is, they don’t get many more cracks at “good” teams this year with their remaining schedule and the ACC being fairly terrible this season. Tonight was actually their first top 100 Kenpom win of the year. Providence is like 59ish. The rest of the season, they don’t have MANY realistic shots at top 100 Kenpom wins OOC. They get Iowa in the Challenge, but that’s about all that’s left.

In the ACC, they do get Duke and Virginia Tech twice but FSU and UNC-CH only once a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I agree with you. Bennett will win “crap” this year lol

This is the correct take. There is potential there, but a lot has to break right for it to materialize (though things seem to break right much more often than one would normally be expected under Bennett's guidance).

IU transfer wing Armaan Franklin must be somewhere between good and elite offensively, and same goes for ECU transfer Jayden Gardner, who will have to do the same. Add to that we'll need at least 3-4 players with little experience in the packline (including the aforementioned transfers) to darn near "master" it by season's end. Based on anecdotal data - this usually takes around 1,000 career floor minutes for non-redshirted guys, and about 600-700 min for players who have previous D1 exp AND spent a year redshirting at UVA. A reg redshirt year seems to be worth about 400-500min toward the usual 1k. We'll almost certainly have to avoid any/all major injuries to Gardner, Franklin, Clark, Shedrick, and probably Beekman. Last, we'll need one or both of frosh/soph Igor Milicic or Carson McCorkle to step up and earn a consistent reserve role. If *ALL* of those things happen, and Duke has 2-3 real headscratchers in league play, UVA can potentially find a way to defend their regular season title.

That's a TON of stuff that has to break right. And I believe in Bennett as much as the next guy who has borne witness to what he's accomplished with lower rated recruits than a lot of the programs he was dominating. That said, it seems more realistic to believe that if Bennett does a good to fantastic (but not completely flawless) job this year, with the limitations of this roster based on talent and MASSIVE turnover, a top 2-3ish league finish seems a more *realistically optimistic* estimate.

If Virginia goes something like 13-7/14-6 in league play, I'll be pretty happy and excited for the next couple years as we'll have a roster stocked with REALLY good (based on our Bennet-era recruiting standards) players, and Bennett seems to have gone an interesting route to minimize transfers, only having like 10 schollys on the roster per year so everyone will have a role OR a seemingly clear path to PT in the following year. Given how important continuity seems to be to our success, seems like a smart move, though it would leave us in a MAJOR bind if there are 2-3 major injuries (but isn't that the case even if you have guys 10-13 on scholarship anyway?).
    Last edited by Wahoo2000; 11-24-2021 at 04:29 AM.

Cuse -6 this evening vs VCU in Atlantis.

I’m very eager to see how Virginia Tech does vs #9 Memphis, too.

Cuse tied with VCU at the under 16 in Atlantis.

The ACC looks like a meat grinder thus far this year …

Umm

Really bad sausage

Cuse down 8- Boeheim boys are having big games

Edit; Cuse loses.

FSU and BU going into overtime

-jk

Winning close is better than losing close, but FSU was seriously playing with fire.

At least VT is keeping it close with Memphis. Still, this is a wretched night for the conference. If Duke actually is good, we may come darn close to running the table against these awful teams.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    At least VT is keeping it close with Memphis. Still, this is a wretched night for the conference. If Duke actually is good, we may come darn close to running the table against these awful teams.
    vandy beat pitt
    vcu beat cuse
    memphis beat VT
    Tx AM beat ND, after coming back from 14 down

At least FSU beat juggernaut BU....by 1...in overtime...
    basketball is back, baby!

Cuse has the 114th ranked defense in the country on Kenpom after getting skunked by VCU last night in Atlantis.

I’d estimate the over under for Duke losses in the 2021-2022 men’s basketball season is set at 3.5 after the night the ACC had last night.