Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Jacobelis’ medal was a highlight for me as well. That is a great Olympic story (and a life lesson)

As a model and now a Chinese superstar, I bet the financial upside of Gu’s choice is huge…
    Both medals won by Jacobellis were highlights for me. Nick Baumgartner cheering her on was extra special. Combined age of those two gold medalists? 76 years. Awesome.

Jacobelis’ medal was a highlight for me as well. That is a great Olympic story (and a life lesson)

As a model and now a Chinese superstar, I bet the financial upside of Gu’s choice is huge…

I'm thinking she won't have any trouble buying her books for her freshman classes at Stanford.

I read Humphries’ story with interest, especially given my strong feeling that one should compete for one’s own country if possible. As I understand it, she first got very upset with her coach in Canada (and maybe felt harassed or abused?) and decided to quit competing for them and move to US with her husband. It was only later that she decided to compete for the USA. Maybe this is a convenient rationale, but it made it a little easier for me to accept. (Plus, I would admit that it is much easier to accept an athletic immigrant when they win…)

As far as the Finnish skier….wow! What a price to pay for the sake of competition!
    As far as the Finnish skier is concerned:

1) This is the 2nd time this has happened to him. Apparently precautions are outlawed by the olympics, or are not worth taking.

2) Apparently he (or his part) recovered, with some pain during the recovery process. Speculation about that process provides endless entertainment.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Did she mention anything about the financial upside of representing China instead of the country she grew up in, learned her sport in and chooses to live in? I don’t really care, but I didn’t go out of the way to watch any of her events.

Frankly, I didn’t go out of my way to watch much of anything at the Olympics after Jacobelis dominated the field and finally won gold. I am pretty sure that will be the defining moment of these games to me, many years hence.
    I expect the financial rewards were/are as staggering as her agent was able to finagle from a country with such a sterling human rights record.

Gu. Ew? True?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post

+ This story just didn't get enough exposure.
    https://people.com/sports/finland-sk...olympics-race/
    Just too many straight lines here.
    WAY too many potential comments flying around that one! And none of them postable.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    WAY too many potential comments flying around that one! And none of them postable.
    The amazing bit to me, was that this was the second time. So it happened before and you kept doing it? I want to be an olympian(though at 50 with no athletic ability I have no shot) but I don't want it that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    The amazing bit to me, was that this was the second time. So it happened before and you kept doing it? I want to be an olympian(though at 50 with no athletic ability I have no shot) but I don't want it that bad
    You could wear a bit more clothing to protect sensitive areas.

According to a WSJ story, even if no satisfactory explanation is given as to how the prohibited substance entered skater Kamila Valieva’s system, sports lawyers see a variety of ways that the Court of Arbitration for Sport could still uphold the team event outcome, allowing Russia to keep the team gold medals.

One possible issue is that the International Skating Union’s own rules appear to provide for this kind of scenario: a team’s results will not be disqualified if a member violates anti-doping rules, as long as the competition in question wasn’t directly affected by the violation and the other team members can establish that the violation wasn’t their fault.

“I don’t think there’s any chance that the team will lose their medals, and I think the only question is whether she does,” said Bill Bock, a sports lawyer who was an early proponent of the theory that paved the way for Valieva to skate in the women’s individual competition at the Games. “The team can keep her results.”

“I do think it’s most likely that she will keep her medal” as well, Bock said, adding that he thought that such a decision would rest on what sanction, if any, she ultimately receives for the doping violation. A warning, or a very short suspension would make it easy to let her get a team medal of her own, he thought.
    In other words, since Valieva tested negative for drugs at the Olympics the team competition in question wasn’t directly affected by the previous violation, apparently qualifying for an exception to the general rule.