Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I saw that Jokic and Giannis went at each other in the Greece-Serbia game the other day. They each put up absurd stat lines. I think one of them scored 40+ points or something like that.

Just checked the latest Canada boxscore and saw SGA, Niki Alexander-Walker, Kelly Olynyk, Dwight Powell, Corey Joseph and several other NBA stars playing for them. Sure, a few of the top Canadians are sitting it out, but this is an impressive bunch.

And then there is team USA which has... uhhh... barely anyone I have heard of before and not a single guy who has even sniffed the NBA. Sigh. Half the guys on the team don't even play in the G-League. So sad that USA Basketball cannot convince even third tier Americans to play for their country.
    https://www.fiba.basketball/basketba...SA#|tab=roster
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Pathetic on the part of the US. I know under K the Olympic teams got buy in from almost all the top
    players. I don’t know whether this level of team did too at that time, but I’d be surprised to learn if during his tenure there was any American team full of nobodies like this.
    I don't think it's that big a deal. Before the World Cup changed it qualifying to be more like the futbol qualifying process, we didn't have to play these games which often conflict with the NBA season. It has been hard enough to get the best NBA guys to commit to the big events, partially because many of them have already "served" on prior teams and they don't get a ton of time off every year. Plus, it's always a case of "if you get this guy to commit, then I'll commit". None of them want to be the leader of a team that comes up short, like the US World Cup squad in 2019.

I think it's cool that these scrappers from the G-League and overseas get to put on the USA Uniform and contribute to the overall effort to win gold, and I like that our guys have been well represented on past teams...Amile, Marshall, Quinn Cook.

Plus, the Euro teams are tuning up for Eurobasket. If that tournament wasn't happening, you might not see as many of these guys playing in these qualifying games. But, bottom line, qualifying out of our area is fairly easy. Europe is a bloodbath of a tournament so they have to send their best to get it. What point would there be sending NBA All Stars to beat teams by 50 points?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think it's cool that these scrappers from the G-League and overseas get to put on the USA Uniform and contribute to the overall effort to win gold, and I like that our guys have been well represented on past teams...Amile, Marshall, Quinn Cook.

Plus, the Euro teams are tuning up for Eurobasket. If that tournament wasn't happening, you might not see as many of these guys playing in these qualifying games. But, bottom line, qualifying out of our area is fairly easy. Europe is a bloodbath of a tournament so they have to send their best to get it. What point would there be sending NBA All Stars to beat teams by 50 points?
    Team USA is 7-1 in qualifying thus far with a loss to Mexico. They also had close games with Cuba (95-90, a game Cuba led by 5 entering the 4th quarter) and Puerto Rico (83-75). Reverse the result of one of those and suddenly we are in danger of not qualifying.

And I'm not saying we should be sending All-Stars. I just want us to send guys who have legit NBA talent. But, I get that FIBA, in their infinite wisdom, spread this qualifying out over a year and a half with many games happening in November and February, times when the NBA is in full swing and the best players cannot take a few days off to play for a national team. Oh well...

-Jason "I sometimes think FIBA intentionally does stuff to keep the NBA stars as far away from international competitions as possible... like there is something to be gained out of having third or fourth tier players competing versus having the best" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I guess we can use this thread for the AmeriCup as well.

It was not a great return to coaching for Wojo in his first game as an assistant with the United States losing the opener in Brazil to Mexico:
    https://www.fiba.basketball/americup...A#tab=boxscore

This team is more experience than the group that played in 2017. That team pulled out some good late wins, obviously helped by having Marshall Plumlee available. The next two games should be relatively easy, but there are stronger opponents than Mexico here.

Well, this must have been quite the game: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/05/sport...ntl/index.html

The Turkish national team is threatening to pull out of EuroBasket 2022 after it says one of its team members, NBA player Furkan Korkmaz of the Philadelphia 76ers, was attacked Sunday after being ejected from a game.

The Turkish team is demanding security footage from the corridor where it believes three players on the Georgia national team and security guards attacked Korkmaz.

Korkmaz, who is competing for his native Turkey, was ejected after he got into a confrontation with Georgia guard Duda Sanadze on the court after being fouled during the fourth quarter of Sunday's competition. Both players can be seen in video from the game coming head-to-head in a heated exchange before both were ultimately ejected from the game.

In a statement, Turkish Basketball Federation vice president Ömer Onan said, "While Furkan Korkmaz was walking in the hallway to the locker rooms with our trainer, Georgia's players who were not on the active roster attacked him." He alleged security officers were also involved.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Eurobasket has been chaos with all kinds of officiating and other issues. It's unfortunate because games without problems have been pretty good.

The United States played better in the second game only to be stopped by rain getting inside the arena. The second half of that game will be played tomorrow after their third scheduled game was completed today.

Also at AmeriCup, a lot of hardcore Canadian fans were disappointed by the weak roster that they sent to the competition. They want the team to compile as many rankings points as possible to improve seeding so that they can avoid the situation of the last World Cup where they were stuck in a group with Australia and Lithuania and missed out on a chance at one of the two direct Olympic qualification spots. They lost to Brazil and it was looking like trouble, but they advance to the next round with a pair of dramatic comebacks against Uruguay and Colombia.

Not the world cup, but what happened at another international competition is certainly worth mentioning: https://www.espn.com/olympics/basket...lovenia-france

Doncic scored 47 points -- the second most by anyone in the history of the European championships -- and led Slovenia past France 88-82 on Wednesday for the top seed out of Group B going into this weekend's start of the knockout round.

"Luka, obviously, is a fantastic player," said France center Rudy Gobert, one of the world's top defenders.

Doncic had 27 of Slovenia's first 36 points, made 15 of 23 shots from the field and had team highs of seven rebounds and five assists.
    This just in... Luka Doncic is good at basketball.

The good games at EuroBasket have not stopped with the knockout round.

The United States had a good effort against an Argentina squad that was close to as strong as possible, but will instead have to play for the bronze medal. Unfortunately that means another cycle before the United States can try to hold every single 5x5 FIBA championship that they can play for at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    The good games at EuroBasket have not stopped with the knockout round.

The United States had a good effort against an Argentina squad that was close to as strong as possible, but will instead have to play for the bronze medal. Unfortunately that means another cycle before the United States can try to hold every single 5x5 FIBA championship that they can play for at the same time.
    Hadn't realized it was so close!

Thanks (again) for these reports.

-jk

I know I have complained a lot about the roster the US is running out there for the World Cup qualifying. The next matches are Nov 11 and 14, in the middle of the NBA season and getting current NBA players would be impossible. I'm still frustrated but I get it.

And yet, it brought a smile to my face when I saw one of the names who will be playing for team USA this coming qualifying cycle...

Rodney got the start and had 5 points in 14 minutes, but the United States misses a chance to qualify officially and loses to Brazil 94-79:
    https://www.fiba.basketball/basketba...l#tab=boxscore

Standings:
    Group E: Canada 9-0, Venezuela 7-2, Dominican Republic 6-3, Argentina 6-3, Bahamas 3-6, Panama 2-7
    Group F: United States 7-2, Mexico 6-3, Brazil 6-3, Uruguay 5-4, Puerto Rico 5-4, Colombia 3-6

Canada is the only team to have secured qualification in the Americas.

Taking this process seriously was Alex Murphy, who flew from Japan to Europe for these two games and led Finland with 20 points in 23 minutes in their 94-80 loss to Germany:
    https://www.fiba.basketball/basketba...d#tab=boxscore

The top three teams in each group qualify in Europe with Latvia, Germany, and Finland being the only teams to qualify so far as all games in this round were played on Friday due to EuroLeague promising to cooperate more.
    Standings:
    Group I: Latvia 6-1, Serbia 4-3, Greece 4-3, Turkey 3-4, Belgium 3-4, Great Britain 1-6
    Group J: Germany 8-1, Finland 7-2, Slovenia 6-3, Sweden 4-5, Israel 3-6, Estonia 2-7
    Group K: France 7-2, Lithuania 7-2, Montenegro 6-3, Bosnia and Herzegovina 5-4, Hungary 4-5, Czech Republic 3-6
    Group L: Spain 6-1, Italy 5-2, Georgia 4-3, Iceland 4-3, Ukraine 2-5, Netherlands 0-7

Asia is mostly settled with Australia's intention to forfeit their game in Iran helping their opponents out a bit.
    Standings:
    Group E: Lebanon 6-1, New Zealand 6-1, Philippines 4-3, Jordan 3-4, Saudi Arabia 2-5, India 0-7
    Group F: Australia 9-0, China 7-2, Kazakhstan 5-4, Iran 5-4, Japan 4-5, Bahrain 2-7

Rodney got the start and had 5 points in 14 minutes, but the United States misses a chance to qualify officially and loses to Brazil 94-79:
    https://www.fiba.basketball/basketba...l#tab=boxscore

Standings:
    Group E: Canada 9-0, Venezuela 7-2, Dominican Republic 6-3, Argentina 6-3, Bahamas 3-6, Panama 2-7
    Group F: United States 7-2, Mexico 6-3, Brazil 6-3, Uruguay 5-4, Puerto Rico 5-4, Colombia 3-6

Canada is the only team to have secured qualification in the Americas.
    The US will play a pretty bad Colombia team on Monday. A win in that game comes darn close to sewing up a spot for us (top 3 in our group all qualify for the world cup). If we somehow lose, we would play Uruguay on Feb 23 and then the same Brazil team that beat us pretty soundly on Feb 26th.

I am almost rooting for the US to lose and not qualify so it teaches FIBA and USA Basketball to take this stuff more seriously and find a way to encourage teams to bring real teams to these competitions. It is absurd that FIBA is doing qualifying at a time of year when it is impossible for the best players in the world to play. What is the point of that?!?!

Rodney had 6 points in 5 minutes in an 88-81 USA win over Colombia:
    https://www.fiba.basketball/basketba...a#tab=boxscore

Officially, only Canada has qualified from the Americas:
    Group E: Canada 10-0, Venezuela 7-3, Dominican Republic 7-3, Argentina 7-3, Bahamas 3-7, Panama 2-8
    Group F: United States 8-2, Brazil 7-3, Puerto Rico 6-4, Mexico 6-4, Uruguay 5-5, Colombia 3-7

The picture in Asia is getting clearer with the six teams with * qualified:
    Group E: Lebanon* 7-1, New Zealand* 6-2, Philippines* 5-3, Jordan 4-4, Saudi Arabia 2-6, India 0-8
    Group F: Australia* 9-1, China* 8-2, Iran 6-4, Japan* 5-5, Kazakhstan 5-5, Bahrain 2-8

Only Group J is set in Europe with qualified teams indicated with *:
    Group I: Latvia* 7-1, Serbia 5-3, Greece* 5-3, Turkey 3-5, Belgium 3-5, Great Britain 1-7
    Group J: Germany* 8-2, Finland* 8-2, Slovenia* 7-3, Sweden 5-5, Israel 3-7, Estonia 2-8
    Group K: France* 8-2, Lithuania* 8-2, Montenegro 6-4, Bosnia and Herzegovina 5-5, Hungary 5-5, Czech Republic 3-7
    Group L: Spain* 7-1, Italy* 6-2, Georgia 4-4, Iceland 4-4, Ukraine 3-5, Netherlands 0-8

Rodney had 6 points in 5 minutes in an 88-81 USA win over Colombia:
    https://www.fiba.basketball/basketba...a#tab=boxscore

Officially, only Canada has qualified from the Americas:
    Group E: Canada 10-0, Venezuela 7-3, Dominican Republic 7-3, Argentina 7-3, Bahamas 3-7, Panama 2-8
    Group F: United States 8-2, Brazil 7-3, Puerto Rico 6-4, Mexico 6-4, Uruguay 5-5, Colombia 3-7
    Top 3 in our group qualify for the World Cup. We have a 2 game lead on Puerto Rico for 3rd place with 2 games remaining.

But, our last two games (in February) are against a good Brazil team that beat us by 15 this week and Uruguay. We crushed Uruguay when we played them back in August, so we should probably feel good about that game. Then again, we just struggled to beat a bad Colombia, so I'm not taking anything for granted.

As for Puerto Rico, they have Brazil, which should be tough, and an easy game against Colombia.

The United States did not look to be in position to wrap up a berth early after being down double digits in Uruguay, but won and secured that spot officially to join Canada.
    Group F: United States 9-2, Puerto Rico 7-4, Mexico 7-4, Brazil 7-4, Uruguay 5-6, Colombia 3-8
    Group E: Canada 10-1, Venezuela 8-3, Dominican Republic 8-3, Argentina 8-3, Bahamas 3-8, Panama 2-9

Asia Group F: Australia 10-1, China 9-2, Japan 6-5, Iran 6-5, Kazakhstan 5-6, Bahrain 2-9

Bosnia keeps Montenegro from sealing the last spot in Europe Group K: France 9-2, Lithuania 9-2, Montenegro 6-5, Bosnia and Herzegovina 6-5, Hungary 5-6, Czech Republic 3-8
    Europe Group L will have the Georgia-Iceland game determine the last qualifier: Spain 8-1, Italy 7-2, Georgia 5-4, Iceland 4-5, Ukraine 3-6, Netherlands 0-9

Luol Deng coached South Sudan to the win over Senegal that clinched their spot, a remarkable achievement for a national team founded not that long ago. Egypt's win also qualifies them from that group and only Ivory Coast has qualified from the other group:
    Group F: South Sudan 9-1, Egypt 8-2, Senegal 6-4, Tunisia 5-5, Democratic Republic of Congo 4-6, Cameroon 3-7
    Group E: Ivory Coast 7-1, Angola 6-2, Cape Verde 5-3, Nigeria 4-4, Guinea 1-7, Uganda 1-7

Alex Murphy had 17 points and 9 rebounds in 32 minutes in Finland's 97-95 overtime win in Israel. Their group was already set before this round of games while Serbia just needs to win against Great Britain in the other group to avoid Belgium overtaking them:
    Group J: Germany 9-2, Finland 9-2, Slovenia 7-4, Sweden 5-6, Israel 3-8, Estonia 3-7
    Group I: Latvia 8-1, Greece 6-3, Serbia 5-4, Belgium 4-5, Turkey 3-6, Great Britain 1-8

Luol coaches his team to another win, which helps with world rankings if nothing else. Angola is the latest team to clinch a spot from Africa.
    Group E: Ivory Coast 8-1, Angola 7-2, Cape Verde 5-4, Nigeria 5-4, Guinea 1-8, Uganda 1-8
    Group F: South Sudan 10-1, Egypt 8-3, Tunisia 6-5, Senegal 6-5, Cameroon 4-7, Democratic Republic of Congo 4-7

The United States loses their final qualifying game to Brazil. That became big news because Argentina had a terrible collapse at home against the Dominican Republic and were the last team out instead. That is big because they were probably the biggest threat to Canada earning a direct Olympic bid or the United States getting upset at the wrong time to miss out on a direct spot.
    Group F: United States 9-3, Puerto Rico 8-4, Mexico 8-4, Brazil 8-4, Uruguay 5-7, Colombia 3-9
    Group E: Canada 11-1, Dominican Republic 9-3, Venezuela 8-4, Argentina 8-4, Panama 3-9, Bahamas 3-9

Luol Deng coached South Sudan to another win and the best record of any team in Africa in qualifying. It will be tough for them to grab the lone Olympic spot for Africa, but I think that it is pretty open among the five teams in contention. That is because Cape Verde won against an Ivory Coast that rested key players in this window to take the final spot. Nigeria went from winning an exhibition game against the United States to the near collapse of their entire federation.
    Group F: South Sudan 11-1, Egypt 8-4, Senegal 7-5, Tunisia 6-6, Democratic Republic of Congo 5-7, Cameroon 4-8
    Group E: Ivory Coast 8-2, Angola 8-2, Cape Verde 6-4, Nigeria 5-5, Guinea 2-8, Uganda 1-9

Iran backed into the last spot in Asia.
    Standings: Australia 11-1, China 10-2, Japan 7-5, Iran 6-6, Kazakhstan 5-7, Bahrain 2-10

In Europe, Montenegro took care of business for one spot and Iceland came one point short of qualifying as Georgia lost by just little enough to advance.
    Group K: France 10-2, Lithuania 9-3, Montenegro 7-5, Hungary 6-6, Bosnia and Herzegovina 6-6, Czech Republic 3-9
    Group L: Spain 8-2, Italy 8-2, Georgia 5-5, Iceland 5-5, Ukraine 4-6, Netherlands 0-10

Serbia clinched the last spot without any drama. Alex Murphy had 16 points in 30 minutes in Finland's 87-81 loss to Germany. It will be interesting to see if Jacob Grandison has any shot of displacing any of the guys who have played a lot of games for the team.
    Group J: Germany 10-2, Finland 9-3, Slovenia 7-5, Sweden 5-7, Israel 4-8, Estonia 4-8
    Group I: Latvia 9-1, Serbia 6-4, Greece 6-4, Turkey 4-6, Belgium 4-6, Great Britain 1-9

Asia Group E finished play as well:
    Standings: New Zealand 8-2, Lebanon 7-3, Philippines 6-4, Jordan 6-4, Saudi Arabia 3-7, India 0-10

Groups:

The groups that are shown together indicate which groups will merge for the second phase. The top two finishers from Europe and the Americas and the top finisher from Africa, Asia, and Oceania qualify directly for the Olympics.

As expected Jack White is part of Australia's preliminary squad:

Some people thought that a few more names might be included in this, especially a young guy or two like Tyrese Proctor just to give more people practice and maybe exhibition game experience.