Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Is that the goal- to be sure outsiders respect the punishment? One could argue that some outsiders care more about disrupting a season or causing embarrassment to the program or creating a story than the severity of the punishment to the offending individual. I understand your point but I also know that outsiders do not always have the best of intentions and am not sure the school should be considering their wishes.
    Spot on dukelifer! I feel absolutely sure these two kids have got and are getting a message of how serious this was and could have been even more serious. I respect coach and all the other Duke administration that they will handle this internally. Let’s get on with the basketball season to be played and enjoy this year. Hopefully, it will be a special one for all the right reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know...

Has Coach K given up on the jacket and tie? Or will that be back for the ACC?
    Sadly, I fear that they may be gone for good. I would love to see K would go back to the coat and tie, but I'm not holding my breath.

Duke played really well on both sides of the ball. I am actually surprised that the fast break points were only 15 since it seemed like Duke was off and running much of the game. Everyone performed great. Nice to see Mark play well. I thought AJ looked less rusty.

Bates Jones is a somewhat pleasant surprise. There is an obvious athleticism gap so he will not see a much time but he does make good plays when he's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Spot on dukelifer! I feel absolutely sure these two kids have got and are getting a message of how serious this was and could have been even more serious. I respect coach and all the other Duke administration that they will handle this internally. Let’s get on with the basketball season to be played and enjoy this year. Hopefully, it will be a special one for all the right reasons.
    Honestly, a 1 game suspension of Paolo for Gardner Webb would have been ideal. You quiet the outsiders and you don't really risk losing the game and you move on.

Not suspending him for the game adds more downside than upside. (Not that I think he necessarily deserves suspension, but it does help with PR)

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Honestly, a 1 game suspension of Paolo for Gardner Webb would have been ideal. You quiet the outsiders and you don't really risk losing the game and you move on.

Not suspending him for the game adds more downside than upside. (Not that I think he necessarily deserves suspension, but it does help with PR)
    My view is never let your haters determine what you do. After all, they'll hate regardless. Do what you think is right and move on.

Who cares? Also, I must have missed the noise.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Who cares? Also, I must have missed the noise.
    Agreed.

I’m fine with trusting K on how to handle. And screw the haters.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Agreed.

I’m fine with trusting K on how to handle. And screw the haters.
    we, the fans, bear the brunt when the hole fans will undoubtedly talk about how K went easy on Paolo since he's a top player.

I, for one, am tired of bearing the brunt of K's poor leadership and decision making.

(this is a joke, for those of you who may not find sarcasm so easy to discern on line)
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    we, the fans, bear the brunt when the hole fans will undoubtedly talk about how K went easy on Paolo since he's a top player.

I, for one, am tired of bearing the brunt of K's poor leadership and decision making.

(this is a joke, for those of you who may not find sarcasm so easy to discern on line)
    Is saying it's a joke sort of like trying for a reverse jinx?

In any event you may be on to something and K should be careful. If he ignores the advice we provide on this board he may not be coaching much longer.

Delayed

Can we please remember the most important fact - it is highly possible Paolo did NOTHING wrong other than to not realize how much Savarino drank? This is not worthy of any discipline. The ticket is cops covering their asses that they didn't let a basketball star just walk, it will come to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Can we please remember the most important fact - it is highly possible Paolo did NOTHING wrong other than to not realize how much Savarino drank? This is not worthy of any discipline. The ticket is cops covering their asses that they didn't let a basketball star just walk, it will come to nothing.
    Being in a position where your teammate drives your car drunk with you in it is "something wrong." The factors that lead up to that are not known, and I don't care to speculate, but K doesn't feel that whatever action Banchero did or didn't take in the situation warranted a suspension. Just because of that, I'm sure they had a discussion on making each other accountable and how Banchero could help his teammates not be in that position in the future. (and to forestall the likely strawman, that is not the same thing as "you can't party and have a good time")
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    Sadly, I fear that they may be gone for good. I would love to see K would go back to the coat and tie, but I'm not holding my breath.
    The heck with that. Put him in a uniform. Good enough for MLB, good enough for all sports.

Is that the goal- to be sure outsiders respect the punishment? One could argue that some outsiders care more about disrupting a season or causing embarrassment to the program or creating a story than the severity of the punishment to the offending individual. I understand your point but I also know that outsiders do not always have the best of intentions and am not sure the school should be considering their wishes.
    I think with as much care and deliberation that Duke and Coach K have taken to create and perpetuate his public image re: leadership, that what (reasonable, not crazy) outsiders would perceive about how Duke handles this situation should be a consideration in the punishment. Particularly given how much less tolerance there is for drinking and driving -- or aiding and abetting it -- now than there was 20 or 30 years ago.

I think this issue becomes even more important given the three very recent high profile instances of Henry Ruggs (and the tragic death that ensued), Mark Few and Jalen Wilson. With those events in mind, which I'm sure the team had been instructed on, the conduct involved becomes (in my opinion) more difficult to defend/explain and worthier of a more significant punishment.

I think in these kinds of circumstances, "internal" discipline is always going to be perceived as not sufficiently serious and that only discipline that involves missing some amount of games matters.

I agree with this -- though I lean more towards thinking Paolo deserved a one game suspension) -- but it certainly would have largely quelled PR issues that I think will linger if Paolo faces only "internal" discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I think with as much care and deliberation that Duke and Coach K have taken to create and perpetuate his public image re: leadership, that what (reasonable, not crazy) outsiders would perceive about how Duke handles this situation should be a consideration in the punishment. Particularly given how much less tolerance there is for drinking and driving -- or aiding and abetting it -- now than there was 20 or 30 years ago.

I think this issue becomes even more important given the three very recent high profile instances of Henry Ruggs (and the tragic death that ensued), Mark Few and Jalen Wilson. With those events in mind, which I'm sure the team had been instructed on, the conduct involved becomes (in my opinion) more difficult to defend/explain and worthier of a more significant punishment.

I think in these kinds of circumstances, "internal" discipline is always going to be perceived as not sufficiently serious and that only discipline that involves missing some amount of games matters.
    Here is a legit question. Why does this deserve a game suspension? Why not another punishment- like community service - or attending some program. If someone in the band had this happen- is their punishment a day off from playing? This was not a basketball related play- a punch or worse. This was something that happened to a Duke student that plays basketball. K may have thought Savarino should have refused to drive the car after drinking and that violated the standards of the team. Savarino will face other punishments like a loss of his license and a fine. Maybe Banchero will need to pay the fine. I guess the question is why is this solely a basketball issue.

Here is a legit question. Why does this deserve a game suspension? Why not another punishment- like community service - or attending some program. If someone in the band had this happen- is their punishment a day off from playing? This was not a basketball related play- a punch or worse. This was something that happened to a Duke student that plays basketball. K may have thought Savarino should have refused to drive the car after drinking and that violated the standards of the team. Savarino will face other punishments like a loss of his license and a fine. Maybe Banchero will need to pay the fine. I guess the question is why is this solely a basketball issue.
    Why would we assume it's solely a basketball issue? The basketball program considers this a violation of team standards and has taken what they consider appropriate basketball-related steps. That doesn't preclude the State of North Carolina and/or the Duke judicial system from imposing additional punishment, which may well include loss of license or community service or mandatory appearance(s) at a program related to curbing impaired driving. Or academic suspension. Or a fine.