Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Their food is excellent. Their beer is a different breed than most in town. I like the uniqueness of it as a whole.
    I brought home some of the Special Magical Shirtless Power. Absolutely delicious IPA.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

i am taking mrs pie and the witchling to the van gogh immersive this weekend....hit me with some "don't have one here in the triangle" restaurants...

and night life...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i am taking mrs pie and the witchling to the van gogh immersive this weekend...hit me with some "don't have one here in the triangle" restaurants...

and night life...
    If you are into art, my two favorite galleries are the Blue Spiral:

https://bluespiral1.com/

and Momentum:

https://momentumgallery.com/?gclid=C...hoCWO0QAvD_BwE

Of course, you can spend a lot of time exploring the different studios in the River Arts District:

https://www.exploreasheville.com/sto...arts-district/

Finally the Asheville Art Museum was recently enlarged and updated. It's quite nice:

https://www.ashevilleart.org/
    Section 15

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    If you are into art, my two favorite galleries are the Blue Spiral:

https://bluespiral1.com/

and Momentum:

https://momentumgallery.com/?gclid=C...hoCWO0QAvD_BwE

Of course, you can spend a lot of time exploring the different studios in the River Arts District:

https://www.exploreasheville.com/sto...arts-district/

Finally the Asheville Art Museum was recently enlarged and updated. It's quite nice:

https://www.ashevilleart.org/
    Add to that the list the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway, very near the Parkway entrance.

https://www.southernhighlandguild.org/folkartcenter/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If we are talking museums, the Pinball Museum is a fun one too. Vintage machines, new machines, and local beer.

If we are talking museums, the Pinball Museum is a fun one too. Vintage machines, new machines, and local beer.
    You can never get enough culture.

There may be a waiting period. Get your name on the list, then walk around.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    There may be a waiting period. Get your name on the list, then walk around.
    Definitely worth the wait.

Not a museum, but also check out the LaZoom tours. Surprisingly good comedy, fun information about my town, and BYOB.

i am taking mrs pie and the witchling to the van gogh immersive this weekend...hit me with some "don't have one here in the triangle" restaurants...

and night life...
    My niece is getting married at Biltmore next month. The wedding package includes the Candlelight Tour, but I don't know if THAT will include the Van Gogh exhibit or not.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    My niece is getting married at Biltmore next month. The wedding package includes the Candlelight Tour, but I don't know if THAT will include the Van Gogh exhibit or not.
    The Van Gogh exhibit is in a different location (Deer Park) than the house, and the Candlelight Tour is a separate ticket from the regular tour. Still, there might be a package deal available (always at an extra cost!). Even if there is no package discount your niece could probably schedule a late afternoon viewing of Van Gogh followed by the Tour in the evening. Having done the Candlelight Tour, I can highly recommend it.

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    The Van Gogh exhibit is in a different location (Deer Park) than the house, and the Candlelight Tour is a separate ticket from the regular tour. Still, there might be a package deal available (always at an extra cost!). Even if there is no package discount your niece could probably schedule a late afternoon viewing of Van Gogh followed by the Tour in the evening. Having done the Candlelight Tour, I can highly recommend it.

Section 15
    According to the website, there are three tiers to the candlelight tickets just as there are for the daytime tours. The first is just an audio tour, the second is audio-guided "PLUS" and includes Van Gogh, and the third is expert- guided PLUS Van Gogh. No idea which one we get with the wedding package.

the audio tour was definitely nice...very nice presentation...they give you a little device that looks like a TV remote and you hold it up to your ear like a phone to hear each room's information...i really enjoyed the tour...

make SURE you hit the restroom before you go in...IMG_3672.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

the audio tour was definitely nice...very nice presentation...they give you a little device that looks like a TV remote and you hold it up to your ear like a phone to hear each room's information...i really enjoyed the tour...

make SURE you hit the restroom before you go in...IMG_3672.jpg
    Looking quickly at the website I can't tell: Are there any of his actual paintings there?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Looking quickly at the website I can't tell: Are there any of his actual paintings there?
    No. Some friends who saw this exhibit when it was in Greenville said that they really enjoyed it, however.

Section 15
    Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    this was in the house...i do not think a van gogh was in the house..

this was in the house...i do not think a van gogh was in the house..
    People go nuts for the house tour, especially in the Christmas season. Personally, I'll take the garden walks in spring time.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. Special thanks to Mountain Devil for taking the time to PM with me for additional suggestions.

Asheville has so many restaurant and brewery options, and we were barely able to scratch the surface over eight nights. Restaurant reservations at the popular places are very hard to come by without a lot of advance planning. My wife's relative in Asheville knew of a new Asian/sushi place (Miyako) that ended up being a good choice - walked in on a Saturday night without reservations. We did carryout one night, and we ended up with a liquid dinner at Biltmore between our visit to the Van Gogh Experience exhibit and the estate tour another evening. We did go back to Biltmore the next day to tour the gardens (not much in bloom in late November) and conservatory (which was nice and green), and for wine tasting.

For others visiting Asheville in the future -- we enjoyed hiking at DuPont State Forest. Wish we'd had time to explore other areas for hiking - a good incentive to return in 2022. We had a nice guided walking tour of downtown through a small business my wife found via Facebook Experiences. I don't Facebook, but if anyone is interested in something like that I can get the name for you. My wife took in part of the Asheville Christmas parade while I visited the Moogseum (Bob Moog, father of the Moog synthesizer). Anyone into music should enjoy the visit. It takes about 45 minutes to go through the various stations in this tiny storefront. Worth the $8.50 in my opinion - lots of interactive opportunities, using headphones.

We also did some quick drive-throughs of several surrounding towns and communities. Like the hiking, much more to explore next time.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. Special thanks to Mountain Devil for taking the time to PM with me for additional suggestions.

Asheville has so many restaurant and brewery options, and we were barely able to scratch the surface over eight nights. Restaurant reservations at the popular places are very hard to come by without a lot of advance planning. My wife's relative in Asheville knew of a new Asian/sushi place (Miyako) that ended up being a good choice - walked in on a Saturday night without reservations. We did carryout one night, and we ended up with a liquid dinner at Biltmore between our visit to the Van Gogh Experience exhibit and the estate tour another evening. We did go back to Biltmore the next day to tour the gardens (not much in bloom in late November) and conservatory (which was nice and green), and for wine tasting.

For others visiting Asheville in the future -- we enjoyed hiking at DuPont State Forest. Wish we'd had time to explore other areas for hiking - a good incentive to return in 2022. We had a nice guided walking tour of downtown through a small business my wife found via Facebook Experiences. I don't Facebook, but if anyone is interested in something like that I can get the name for you. My wife took in part of the Asheville Christmas parade while I visited the Moogseum (Bob Moog, father of the Moog synthesizer). Anyone into music should enjoy the visit. It takes about 45 minutes to go through the various stations in this tiny storefront. Worth the $8.50 in my opinion - lots of interactive opportunities, using headphones.

We also did some quick drive-throughs of several surrounding towns and communities. Like the hiking, much more to explore next time.
    The Moog Museum is very cool. They used to also do tours of their factory (only a few blocks away) that were quite fun and interactive. I don't know if the museum has supplanted that.

also, just FYI...we wound up going to the Charlotte Van Gogh immersive and it was ENTIRELY different than the one in ashville....

i liked it a lot more..