Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

ACC going to continue to fall behind

The ACC tv deal negotiated by Swofford is rivaled only by the NCAA tv deal negotiated by Emmert as the worst contract in sports. Swofford tied the Acc into a tv deal through 2036, which becomes further and further below market every year for the next 15 years. Currently, Acc schools receive approximately half the tv money that SEC and B1G teams do, and that gap is going to widen considerably. The tv deals will become increasingly important as NIL inevitably siphons off booster money to the athletes instead of Universities. The Acc needs to get the CFP expanded as soon as possible so those revenues, more equally shared, can help smooth out the difference in revenues.

Money is not all that matters in college sports success (see Texas), but it is a big factor. Duke and the rest of the Acc are going to have to win with fewer resources, which will make Duke FB an even tougher coaching job.

https://www.on3.com/news/conference-...lege-football/

The ACC needs Notre Dame to join up so they can re-negotiate the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The ACC needs Notre Dame to join up so they can re-negotiate the deal.
    Which of course makes no sense from the ND point of view. They have no reason to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I'd like to see Duke take a shot at hiring Bill O'Brien. Alabama OC with pro HC experience. He has been with the Patriots, Penn St, NFL Houston,and now Bama. Don't know if Duke would be willing to pay the freight or if O'Brien would be interested.
    O’Brien burned a lot of bridges in Durham. Unlikely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    What are you saying?
    I'm saying that the exact win totals when you are dealing with 1-3 wins per year is not that important....we were viewed as one of the worst, if not THE worst, program in P5 when Cut came...and we are there again as he leaves (presumably). And I would not lump A and T and Central in with Citadel and some others.

If you're just comparing how good the team is this year with old years... yes, unfortunately, this 2021 team probably is just as bad right now as those awful Duke teams from the pre-Cutcliffe days, even the zero-win teams.

I still think the program is in far better shape than before Cutcliffe. In 2007, if you were to ask me if it were even theoretically possible for Duke to have an 8+ win season over the following decade, I would have said no. Just the fact that now we all know that idea is wrong is progress, even if the bottom has fallen out the past year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    If you're just comparing how good the team is this year with old years... yes, unfortunately, this 2021 team probably is just as bad right now as those awful Duke teams from the pre-Cutcliffe days, even the zero-win teams.

I still think the program is in far better shape than before Cutcliffe. In 2007, if you were to ask me if it were even theoretically possible for Duke to have an 8+ win season over the following decade, I would have said no. Just the fact that now we all know that idea is wrong is progress, even if the bottom has fallen out the past year or two.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'd be confident this team would beat the 2007 team. Eron Riley would have had a field day against this defense, among other things.

Agreed that the program is in a better place, but I'm not sure this specific team is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    What are you saying?

In the eight years prior to Coach Cutcliffe arriving (2000-2007), Duke won 10 games with three being against FCS opponents: VMI, The Citadel and Western Carolina. That’s 30 percent.

Coach Cutcliffe has won 77 games at Duke with 12 wins against FCS opponents. That’s 15.5%.

Comparisons are not being skewed.
    Out of pitchforks, etc, etc.

Duke is a better team than they were before Cut, even in the current degraded state. I'm not sure there's any valid argument against that.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Duke is a better team than they were before Cut, even in the current degraded state. I'm not sure there's any valid argument against that.
    There's not. But HereBeforeCoachK is pretty locked into the doomsday scenario, and doesn't seem too interested in being talked out of it.

It's life in 2021 - if you repeat something over and over and over again and act really confident about it, eventually someone might believe you.

The bottom line to me is that for several years, Duke far exceeded what anyone would have expected was possible pre-Cut. After the miraculous 1994 season (I was a student then), we were truly awful for 10+ years - several winless seasons in there including my senior year. Under Cut we went to bowls six of seven years. I don't care what bowls they were - during the Franks/Roof era if you had told me we would average 3-4 wins a season during those years I would have been thrilled, and we went far beyond that. I know the landscape of college football has changed a lot since the last of those winning seasons, so repeating that is not going to be easy, but regardless, I am eternally grateful to Coach Cut for the joy he brought me during those years.

This does not mean he should stay. It is time for a change, and hopefully that will be done sooner rather than later, but in a respectful way. But the fact that the new coach can point to what Duke accomplished in the not-too-distant past, compared to what Cut had to point to when he took over, means we are in a much better place.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I'm saying that the exact win totals when you are dealing with 1-3 wins per year is not that important...we were viewed as one of the worst, if not THE worst, program in P5 when Cut came...and we are there again as he leaves (presumably). And I would not lump A and T and Central in with Citadel and some others.
    We can agree to disagree. You’re way too negative for me.
    Bob Green

Is something brewing today?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Is something brewing today?
    I, too, was wondering if he would announce his retirement at his Monday afternoon pregame press conference. We shall see although I recall Nina saying all coaches evaluations would occur at seasons end.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I, too, was wondering if he would announce his retirement at his Monday afternoon pregame press conference. We shall see although I recall Nina saying all coaches evaluations would occur at seasons end.
    This season has been over for a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Roof's termination leaked several days before the UNC game in 2007. I would prefer a retirement announcement than having Cut leaking it to WRAL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    O’Brien burned a lot of bridges in Durham. Unlikely to happen.
    and if he didn't, I'd be happy to burn them now to prevent this.

I may not have a great list of coaches to hire, but I certainly have a very concrete list of coaches NOT TO.

Whether this TEAM is better/worse than teams in the pre-Cut era is not relevant. The PROGRAM is better now, which means a new coach will have a better opportunity to build off of.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Whether this TEAM is better/worse than teams in the pre-Cut era is not relevant. The PROGRAM is better now, which means a new coach will have a better opportunity to build off of.
    nice to have a stadium where people come and say "this is a nice place to watch a game" instead of "wow, this stadium is a PoS"

And while we complain about certain aspects of it (team on the field aside), the general view among people I speak to who visit is it's a pretty nice venue
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    I don't quite agree that the quality of the current team is irrelevant. How good the current team is determines whether the new coach is signing on for a rebuild vs. just taking over the program. A rebuild will call for (and more importantly, attract) a different type of coach than a squad that is ready to go and just waiting for the right leadership.

nice to have a stadium where people come and say "this is a nice place to watch a game" instead of "wow, this stadium is a PoS"

And while we complain about certain aspects of it (team on the field aside), the general view among people I speak to who visit is it's a pretty nice venue
    People come to our stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't quite agree that the quality of the current team is irrelevant. How good the current team is determines whether the new coach is signing on for a rebuild vs. just taking over the program. A rebuild will call for (and more importantly, attract) a different type of coach than a squad that is ready to go and just waiting for the right leadership.

People come to our stadium?
    Away fans, mostly

The several groups of people I talked to during egress from the Pitt game loved it.
    April 1