Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Cutcliffe Retirement Speculation

Not definite but rumors starting. https://247sports.com/Article/Duke-f...rt--175337490/

If true, this would be ideal to me. The man did an AMAZING job turning Duke from one of if not the worst college football program of all time to a respectable winner and occasional champion. Sure, we’ve backslid and maybe it’s time for him to go but I would very much like Duke (and it’s fans) to send him off with the respect he deserves.

Big new job, Nina! Basketball and football HC gigs to fill in your first year.

The article just links to this Yahoo article: https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-colleg...191536455.html

David Cutcliffe did so much to pull the Duke program out of decades of irrelevance. And now the program is slipping back, as the Blue Devils (3-6) have a 10-game conference losing streak and face a likely three-year streak without a bowl appearance. New athletic director Nina King already has found a successor for Mike Krzyzewski and faces another potential opening in her first year on the job. Cutcliffe, 67, is beloved and did great work rejuvenating Duke. But retirement looms as a possibility here, as there’s no resounding argument to keep him outside of sentimentality.
    Nothing concrete, or even really any smoke. But people are certainly starting to talk/write about it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Oh wait...there's nothing to see here. This is 247 throwing gas on a fire that never even started.
    Two big quotes..
    media speculation has turned the heat up on Duke coach David Cutcliffe, who could opt to retire by season’s end, according to a report from Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports.

Which leads to the mentioned report, which is days old. (And has been quoted here, I think by myself even.)

Duke
    David Cutcliffe did so much to pull the Duke program out of decades of irrelevance. And now the program is slipping back, as the Blue Devils (3-6) have a 10-game conference losing streak and face a likely three-year streak without a bowl appearance. New athletic director Nina King already has found a successor for Mike Krzyzewski and faces another potential opening in her first year on the job. Cutcliffe, 67, is beloved and did great work rejuvenating Duke. But retirement looms as a possibility here, as there’s no resounding argument to keep him outside of sentimentality.

It's 247 trying to get clicks by not doing any reporting themselves.

Edit...Acy noticed what I did.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I suspect there's a pretty good chance of this happening. But the linked article is pretty high on clickbait, pretty low on content.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The article just links to this Yahoo article: https://sports.yahoo.com/2021-colleg...191536455.html

Nothing concrete, or even really any smoke. But people are certainly starting to talk/write about it.
    At least others acknowledging this may happen. Seems many coaching “rumors” like this turn out true.

I'm just glad somebody in the media is talking about it. That's how pressure to act starts to build.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I suspect there's a pretty good chance of this happening. But the linked article is pretty high on clickbait, pretty low on content.
    Yup.

This is certainly what Duke fans (like those at that site) should want — a graceful exit for Cut, and a new start for Duke. That is certainly my hope. And it is not an unreasonable hope/speculation.

In reality, It really comes down to Cut, Nina, and the right amount of money to make it happen smoothly. Gotta think it will.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    At least others acknowledging this may happen. Seems many coaching “rumors” like this turn out true.
    Agree with that, but this isn't even a rumor. It's only speculation by the first writer of what would be unsurprising. The 247 writer then lazily took it on himself to try to make his referenced article more than it's not.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I'm just glad somebody in the media is talking about it. That's how pressure to act starts to build.
    I suspect pressure from donors is a lot bigger factor than media conversations.

Nina has said she'll evaluate the program after the season, as she will for every sport. Duke lost 5 of its last 6 games in 2019, went 2-9 in 2020 and appears headed for a 3-9 season in 2021. Cut is 67 and has a year left on his contract and he's clearly not getting an extension. There's simply no plausible scenario in which it makes sense for him to return for 2022 and I cannot imagine anyone involved in the end game wants this to end any way other than a professional and graceful manner. The devil is in the details and all that but this isn't the Manhattan Project either. Good will and good lawyers and good agents should be able to get this done without it getting messy.

I hope for a retirement announcement this week. I think we'd get more fans to come to Wade for the final two games, Cut could have a nice send off, and the team would probably play more inspired and maybe even pull out one last victory for him. If we don't get one, I expect a desolate Wade and two more bad losses to cap off an 0-8 conference season.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsforlife View Post
    I hope for a retirement announcement this week. I think we'd get more fans to come to Wade for the final two games, Cut could have a nice send off, and the team would probably play more inspired and maybe even pull out one last victory for him. If we don't get one, I expect a desolate Wade and two more bad losses to cap off an 0-8 conference season.
    This is the main reason I've been hoping for some kind of announcement. Although Thanksgiving weekend is probably going to be bleak no matter what, that weekend doesn't work great for a lot of schools and it is even worse for Duke. If you're going to do a thank you/send-off, better to do it against Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Finally realizes no chance of getting the 3rd Manning. They've even jumped ship.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

This is certainly what Duke fans (like those at that site) should want — a graceful exit for Cut, and a new start for Duke. That is certainly my hope. And it is not an unreasonable hope/speculation.

I think that ship sailed at least several weeks ago....the USS Graceful Exit that is...

The old adage is "Wish for more, sometimes you get less". I liked Cut, but as Time went on - the program is in need of a change. It's a tough dilemma, but unfortunately change is needed.

With other schools announcing moves, I’m anxious for at least those involved in the program to know what’s happening. Especially the team. I’d like to see few transfers and I imagine that kids are already contemplating the portal.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think that ship sailed at least several weeks ago...the USS Graceful Exit that is...
    Disagree. A public announcement of a retirement in two weeks is no different than a retirement announcement a few weeks ago.

But either way, the story ends the same.

He will leave as a hero who we were lucky to have on our side. Let's hope that his replacement keeps up the good work.

I haven't seen any games this year, and it seems to be maybe his weakest season, but any change is a risk and we might take a step backwards with his replacement (just as we might find a new level of success, as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    I haven't seen any games this year
    Spare me.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    He will leave as a hero who we were lucky to have on our side. Let's hope that his replacement keeps up the good work.
    Agreed.