Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It is a long list but Zac Roper and Trooper Taylor have to be at the top. Roper has been demoted a couple of times previously from Offensive Coordinator to Quarterback Coach to Tight End Coach; Taylor is Cornerback Coach and our cornerbacks are atrocious in coverage.

Personally, I hope the entire staff is let go and a complete rebuild is started but I desire to answer your question so I singled out a couple.
    But isn’t Taylor a recent coach of cornerbacks? Roper could be the coach that Cut has shown the most loyalty. Perhaps that is misplaced although I would argue that he has had success over his tenure with certain players.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    But isn’t Taylor a recent coach of cornerbacks?
    Yes. He was moved to cornerbacks after not succeeding as wide receivers coach.
    Bob Green

So who on the current staff should have been fired?
    I'm not advocating for Cut firing his staff - or not firing them. Just pointing out that his refusal to leave his staff for the TN job is absolutely a type of loyalty - even if it isn't yo Duke, necessarily.

The sort of person you would want to work for/with.

I'm not even sure the desire to keep staff was the breaking point. This is hearsay so should be taken with a grain of salt but I knew the quarterback coach at the time and he told me that TN had decided to not proceed and this was the cover story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm not advocating for Cut firing his staff - or not firing them. Just pointing out that his refusal to leave his staff for the TN job is absolutely a type of loyalty - even if it isn't yo Duke, necessarily.

Correct, but not have work for you.

Now that this season has staggered to a close, let's review the stats on Cut's last season vs. those of perennial punching bag Ted Roof in 2007.

In 2007, Duke lost all eight conference games and was outscored 265-131, for an average of 33-16.
    In 2021, Duke lost all eight conference games and was outscored 373-119, for an average of 47-15.

So Cut has widened Roof's average margin of loss by nearly 100%, from 17 to 32 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

I would add a caveat that the loyalty of the employer or supervisor or manager must be conditioned on job performance that is at least satisfactory -- i.e., sufficiently effective to sustain the overall success of the enterprise, or department, or team. I don't want to work for someone who is loyal to co-workers even when they consistently fail to produce, or demonstrate an unwillingness or inability to carry their share of the burden, not only because the "chain is only as strong as its weakest link," but because the coddling of a team member who is lazy or inept can eventually diminish the motivation, trust, and loyalty of co-workers -- which in turn can create disaffection among the customers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I would add a caveat that the loyalty of the employer or supervisor or manager must be conditioned on job performance that is at least satisfactory -- i.e., sufficiently effective to sustain the overall success of the enterprise, or department, or team. I don't want to work for someone who is loyal to co-workers even when they consistently fail to produce, or demonstrate an unwillingness or inability to carry their share of the burden, not only because the "chain is only as strong as its weakest link," but because the coddling of a team member who is lazy or inept can eventually diminish the motivation, trust, and loyalty of co-workers -- which in turn can create disaffection among the customers as well.
    I wasn't intending any judgment on the current situation. Just reflecting on his TN decision years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Totally agree with this and the environment had to be miserable for some of the assistants. If Cut remains; would think some assistants will jump ship on there own.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Now that this season has staggered to a close, let's review the stats on Cut's last season vs. those of perennial punching bag Ted Roof in 2007.

In 2007, Duke lost all eight conference games and was outscored 265-131, for an average of 33-16.
    In 2021, Duke lost all eight conference games and was outscored 373-119, for an average of 47-15.

So Cut has widened Roof's average margin of loss by nearly 100%, from 17 to 32 points.
    And still Roof’s tenure is not going to be viewed any differently as a result.

But isn’t Taylor a recent coach of cornerbacks? Roper could be the coach that Cut has shown the most loyalty. Perhaps that is misplaced although I would argue that he has had success over his tenure with certain players.
    For what it’s worth, a member of the Tennessee board of trustees told me Taylor was considered a top notch assistant at UT and people were disappointed when he left. Having said that I think the entire staff needs to be replaced staring at the top. I find myself checking this thread multiple times per day hoping for a resolution to the coaching situation.

GT coach Collins has fired his offensive coordinator, a co-defensive coordinator, and his corner backs coach.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...coaching-staff
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

wow it happened. everyone get in here
    Pratt '09, Grad '10

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    GT coach Collins has fired his offensive coordinator, a co-defensive coordinator, and his corner backs coach.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...coaching-staff
    Jeff Faris has told players that the staff is returning intact —we shall see. That doesn’t get me too excited. That info is from a few players that I know thru family. Nina meeting w Cut this week. BOT meeting next weekend.

Gone

Per WRALSportsfan "David Cutcliffe will not return as Duke's football coach next season — The university announced Cutcliffe and the school have "reached a mutual agreement for separation.""

WRAL text alert says Cutcliffe is gone

My sister, who lives in CH, just called. She received a text saying Cut will not return. I could find nothing on their website. Might be time to start searching for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post
    WOW!

The end of an era.

Thank you Coach David Cutcliffe, for everything you did for Duke Football.

Never Mind��������If a HC change is going to happen; anyone with a guess as to when?

Or another way of asking this; how long do we wait before we realize Cut stays another year?

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    WOW!

The end of an era.

Thank you Coach David Cutcliffe, for everything you did for Duke Football.
    Yes agree and the news we needed to hear.