Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 67, Campbell 56 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Ehhhh. Win's a win, I guess.

3rd game in a 5 days, took care of business. What moore can you ask for.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I had to half watch the game via weird streaming because of ACCNX, so I couldn’t listen… but I assume Mark not playing in the second half was matchup and not injury based correct?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Didn't understand the end of game strategy which appeared to jack up a lot of threes when leading by 10 or more. Last I noticed, we had 23 3 point shots out of 50 shots. Not much inside except layups and not much by our bigs. I watched on game tracker so couldn't appreciate what was going on the floor.

Yes matchup issue

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Throw in a major injury scare that distracted the team and you get this kind of game. The big issue is play of the big guys. Not sure what is going on with that. Rebounding again is a worry. I suspect the coaches will clean some things up over the next few practices.

Once we went with Paolo at the 5, we controlled the game. Wendell has been really solid this year and led us once again. Paolo also very effective, he could be more selfish. Another good outing for Roach. Big minutes for Baker. Not a game for bigs. Keels not great on offense but team D was really solid for the last 30 minutes. Good 2 day challenge and still much room for improvement…AJ, offensive rebounding, etc.
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 11-13-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Once we went with Paolo at the 5, we controlled the game. Wendell has been really solid this year and led us once again. Paolo also solid, he could be more selfish. Another solid outing for Roach. Big minutes for Baker. Not a game for bigs. Keels not great on offense but team D was really solid for the last 30 minutes. Good 2 day challenge and still much room for improvementÂ…AJ, offensive rebounding, etc.
    Not a game for bigs? Umm can someone please explain to me why Campbell is dictating the type of game it is and who can be on the floor against Duke and not vice versa? Why are we not imposing our will and making them have to deal with figuring out how to handle our bigs?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not a game for bigs? Umm can someone please explain to me why Campbell is dictating the type of game it is and who can be on the floor against Duke and not vice versa? Why are we not imposing our will and making them have to deal with figuring out how to handle our bigs?
    How about this? Not a good game for our bigs. The way our bigs play, the matchup was not favorable for us.

I can’t argue that Campbell 100% dictated the style of the game. You are right about that.

Campbell is pretty darn good.

That's a style we might see often so great to get exposure to it early.

Positives for me were our 3pt shooting (Joey!), overall defense (especially the second half), Wendel's emergence (3 games in a row of solid play) and our continued lineup advantage when we go small (Paolo at the 5 isn't small...just a true nightmare for other teams).

Negatives for me, rebounding (lack there of) and bigs not taking advantage of their matchups (Mark and Theo should've had more success).

3 games in 5 days, all against non-cupcakes....I'll take it.

We aren't good enough at that for it to be a viable strategy. Campbell decided they weren't going to attack the rim early, so there was no use in having a rim protector on the floor. Neither Mark nor Theo are dominant interior scorers who can mash undersized bigs on the block, and we aren't a good enough lob passing team to punish them with Mark. I think we've missed more lob passes than hit so far this year. The advantage Campbell got from open shooters was greater than our size advantage because we don't have the correct skill sets to leverage that advantage, so we had no choice but to adjust to them.

K said much the same post game. Five guard lineup from Cambell at times. Defense saved us when it locked in.
    This is going to be a long hard season. Lots to learn still.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Ugly win at the end of three games in five days. As others have said, we need to be the imposers and find a way to have our bigs in and relevant. Roach played a very nice game. Keels was quiet. Good to see Joey contributing. I really want to see more of Griffin - I wish this hadn't been so close so we could have had him in more.

I wish we had more practice time to digest the learnings from these games. I am all for getting game experience but I think this team would have been better served to not have the game on Tuesday and instead play again next Friday. In particular, we need to work on rebounding/loose balls.

Strange game.
    We shot great: 50/39/73% while they shot terrible: 36/26/67%. That predicts a massive blowout unless they do something else way better than us.
    So let’s see:
    We had 11 turnovers, they have 9.
    We have 31 total rebounds, they have 34.
    We make 8 of 11 fts, they make 6 of 9.

But still the game was within 5 or so points late in 2nd half?? And we only win by 11?

How is that possible? Here is how:
    We get 50 fg attempts, they get 61! They took 22% more shots than us.
    Why? Because they got 15 offensive boards to our 7 - that’s 8 more shots there. Add 2 more extra shots due to their turnover edge. So that adds up to 10 more shots there. Not sure where the 11th extra shot came from - winning the tip?

Anyway allowing 15 offensive rebounds to a team that can’t match our size or athleticism is pretty damning. Same with our defensive pressure - it’s not a good sign when we force only 9 Camel to’s in 40 minutes.

Coach has a lot of work to do.

Pretty ugly game, though if you consider that this was the third game in five days *and* the scary looking Wendell Moore injury in the first minute seemed to knock our team back, it’s understandable that we started quite slowly and seemed to have heavy legs throughout — even when we established control in the second half.

Good news is that after Campbell got out to the 10 point lead with 18 points in the first six minutes, we held them to 22 points in the next 24 minutes (and 32 in the next 32). Bad news is we got out rebounded by a smaller, less athletic team and turned the ball over more, though to be fair their rebound advantage came heavily on the offensive glass and chasing down long rebounds.

Seems we decided to go small because of the way they ran their motion offense and the way they ran things early through Caralero, who’s a smart player with decent court vision and the ability to draw bigs out. Interestingly, Joey was the choice off the bench to complete the small lineup with Paolo at the 5, and all things considered Joey acquitted himself well and wasn’t targeted too badly on defense — plus he made shots with more confidence.

I’d like to think as Griffin gets more playing time and gets back his court feel and reflexes, that he would eventually take Joey’s place in a small lineup, but he’s just not ready right now. Blakes also provided a few nice minutes off the bench and looked really active on defense.

Nice to see some good three point shooting after the first few games, but the offense still looks rough in stretches. Our team just doesn’t draw fouls despite our size, though I know it’s a small sample size right now. We did have a good number of assists but I still think the players are still learning to play together — some really ugly entry passes and drives into traffic.

Rest and the next few games should hopefully give the team a chance to breathe and develop more cohesion.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Exactly...a win's a win. We can't be everything to everyone - the butcher, the Baker, *and* the candlestick maker. So yeah, don't look a gift equine animal in the oral orifice.

It took ten minutes into our third game but we finally saw Paolo at the 5, which I think will be a regular part of our rotation. He and Moore had really solid all around games. My heart sank when he walked off the court, and what a relief that he was okay. Was nice to see the three ball fall for Joey. When his feet are set and he gets a clean look he's money. When he shoots on the move at all or has a defender closing out, he just looks off. I know that everybody shoots better when they're open, but for Joey the difference seems more pronounced. Anyways I was glad he got it going. His defense and rebounding were also pretty solid which is why I think K left him on the court for as much as he did (32 minutes).

Roach had a nice offensive game as well. He really doesn't operate as a point guard though, he's a scoring guard in the same manner as Keels and Moore. I know we're playing our second game in consecutive days but it was disappointing that our offensive game plan was non-existent. Even without a day to practice for this particular team, we really can't do anything except run the backcourt weave over and over again?

The team continues to make steps forward and different guys make strides each game, which is all you can ask for.

Oddity: At one point in the second half, Duke had 8 turnovers. #5 had 5 turnovers. #3 had 3 turnovers.