Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    In both games this year, Trevor somehow gets involved in what I would describe as a lacrosse face-off or perhaps a two man rugby scrum. It's the dangdest thing. And he always gets the better of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Sporks for the Ice Cube reference from his seminal album The Predator. Strong work.
    A good day indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the game was the game.

I was most upset at the students chanting "you suck" at army during the lineups. I get that it's a thing, despite K's distaste for it, and I really don't care on a normal night, but c'mon...couldn't we put that one aside one night for a game vs army?
    My issue is that the "you suck" belies the whole point of the cheer. Waving and saying "hi, first name" in a show of fake welcome, just before giving them hell for 40 minutes, is great.

On to the game. I think we're going to enjoy watching this team defend. Dell and Keels *got after it* last night. The offense is a work in progress, and that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Sporks for the Ice Cube reference from his seminal album The Predator. Strong work.
    Hip Hop Don't Stop.

"The Predator" was a seminal album of my Duke undergrad days, the albums that were dropping at that time were epic..."Check Your Head", "Cypress Hill", "Ready to Die", "Doggystyle", etc.

The second part of that quote was off Kanye's track "Monster" off of "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy"

"Matter who you go and get, ain't nobody cold as this
    Do the rap and the track, triple-double, no assists"

I am not sure who has pulled it off in college, but Sean Bradley did it in the NBA with points, rebounds and blocks.

Back to your regularly scheduled posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Hip Hop Don't Stop.

"The Predator" was a seminal album of my Duke undergrad days, the albums that were dropping at that time were epic..."Check Your Head", "Cypress Hill", "Ready to Die", "Doggystyle", etc.

The second part of that quote was off Kanye's track "Monster" off of "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy"

"Matter who you go and get, ain't nobody cold as this
    Do the rap and the track, triple-double, no assists"

I am not sure who has pulled it off in college, but Sean Bradley did it in the NBA with points, rebounds and blocks.

Back to your regularly scheduled posting.
    Was having a conversation last night about what a phenomenal album Paul's Boutique is.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Duke needs Baker to hit open threes.
    Again, Joey Baker shot 40% from three last night. What more do you want from him?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    As mentioned previously, Shelden Williams's triple-double at Duke was points, rebounds, and blocks.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    As mentioned previously, Shelden Williams's triple-double at Duke was points, rebounds, and blocks.
    But he had 3 assists. The "triple double no assists" is the unicorn of triple doubles...and almost speaks to a deliberate selfishness or lack of basketball IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Attachment 13750

There, fixed it.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Couple ways to do stats and tables listed in the FAQ stickied at the top.

-jk

OFFENSE
    FT rate: 18.3% (poor; again, opposite of last game)

DEFENSE
    FT rate: 13.6% (really good, for the 2nd straight game)
    I think these two things were related. I think the refs pretty much swallowed their whistles last night, at least underneath the basket. I didn't see the game on TV, so I had only my one view, but I was watching some of the action off ball. Part of the reason Mark and Theo had lousy games is because the inside play was just brutal. There weren't cheap shots, exactly, and they aren't fouls if the refs don't call 'em, but you could see Mark and especially Theo getting quite frustrated at the pushing and hacking that was going on that wasn't called. Theo gave as good as he got, of course, but I honestly think that part of the reason the team went on a late run is because they were finally ticked off when Theo was called for a flagrant 1 and Army got nothing. I didn't have the benefit of replay, of course, and my son said the flagrant was legit, but personally I didn't see much in there that wasn't happening earlier in the game. But the team looked annoyed and went on their game-winning run pretty much right after that.

So I'm not sure I'd give much weight to a qualitative assessment of those particular numbers for this particular game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Was having a conversation last night about what a phenomenal album Paul's Boutique is.

Just saying.
    “Phenomenal”? You really think so? I listened to it a couple of times about a year ago because I resolved in late 2019 to listen at least 2-3 times to every single album on the 2012 edition of the Rolling Stone list of 500 greatest albums of all time. I completed the list a couple of months ago and I started over and am doing it again. I’m currently on #419 Portishead — Dummy and #418 Paul McCartney & Wings — Band on the Run.

The reason I’m following the 2012 edition rather than Rolling Stones’ most recent edition in 2020 is because it became fairly obvious after looking through the 2020 list that the PC police had infiltrated the decision-makers and culture at Rolling Stone. An additional significant factor in the albums they selected could also be that they’re desperately trying to cultivate a new fan base among younger people and so they slanted their selections in favor of music that would appeal to that group. They are a business after all.

Anyway, I’m going to listen to Paul’s Boutique a couple of times this weekend to refresh my memory of it.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Couple ways to do stats and tables listed in the FAQ stickied at the top.

-jk
    On a couple of occasions, I had requested a Pot Hole/Test Bed feature/thread (perhaps in Offline forum) so folks could just play around and perfect their use of these techniques without messing up threads. I still think it is a useful idea.

Larry
    DevilHorse

As easily overlooked play was Savarino diving for a loose ball and tipping it out to keep the possession alive, resulting in a Baker three. If the walkons are putting forth that kind of effort in a game that was essentially over then that’s a good indicator they are working to push the regulars in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    On a couple of occasions, I had requested a Pot Hole/Test Bed feature/thread (perhaps in Offline forum) so folks could just play around and perfect their use of these techniques without messing up threads. I still think it is a useful idea.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    You’re always free to start such a practice thread.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Barrett is exactly who I immediately thought of when you were talking about certain players in the past being somewhat the opposite of Banchero’s high efficiency with a relatively minimal number of shots. I greatly prefer Banchero’s approach.

So Paolo, please keep doing what you’re doing. Continue to be efficient by taking smart shots with proper form, and continue being a team player by looking to get your teammates involved.
    I think there's a bit of a happy medium to be found: there's so much value in the ability to create a reasonable shot in the half court against good defenses, and in a game against, say, Virginia, I'd rather have Paolo putting up double figure shots than anyone else we have this year, that's for sure, even if he has to break out of the offense and iso to get those shots. Finding the right balance between being assertive and playing within the offense is definitely something that will be an ongoing process for him, and will be one of the fun things to watch as he continues to develop. I am fascinated to see where his FGA/FTA average numbers fall by the end of the year (and how many of those are self-created vs. assisted).

Again, Joey Baker shot 40% from three last night. What more do you want from him?

40% for the season would be great.

5 thoughts...

1. A great day for sports yesterday. Duke beats Army, saw a Duke triple-double. USMNT beats Mexico dos a cero, takes the lead in the octagonal. GSW beats Chicago, best record in the NBA. As a nightcap, the UCLA-Nova game was a better high level game than Duke-UK, with the Bruins winning in OT. Both those teams looked really legit. It will be interesting when Duke runs into a player who's The Man like Juzang.

2. Such a quiet triple-double, but so awesome. Can Moore keep this up? We have seen him look great for a period, then disappear (or have his shot disappear). He deserves to be honored for the triple-double, certainly. But the team just needs him to be consistent. I'd so take 14-5-5 from him every game. I do hope he's found consistency. Could be the hair!

3. Read the chatter here on Williams. Give the kid some time - it took him a while to get it going last year. And this year, he's got some really great teammates to work to incorporate himself with. If he starts bringing it consistently by late December, we will all be happy.

4. Cramps, what cramps? Who said anything about craps?

5. Army was a well-coached team. They certainly took a shot going down 10-0, but those guys never gave up. They kept it a game until later in the 2nd half. Gotta love that about young men that may be fighting for our country one day. I do agree about the introduction cheer - you don't tell your country's defenders that they suck. Lack of self-awareness from the Crazies.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

It seemed that Joey missed shots when he was open for a while and they finally passed to him. And he looked off balance on those, even though he had time The two threes he made were when he received a pass without a lot of time to think..(IIRC). They often don’t look for him even when he is wide open.
    Last edited by -jk; 11-13-2021 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

i think at least two of uconns string of big blockers from the 2000s did.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    I think there's a bit of a happy medium to be found: there's so much value in the ability to create a reasonable shot in the half court against good defenses, and in a game against, say, Virginia, I'd rather have Paolo putting up double figure shots than anyone else we have this year, that's for sure, even if he has to break out of the offense and iso to get those shots. Finding the right balance between being assertive and playing within the offense is definitely something that will be an ongoing process for him, and will be one of the fun things to watch as he continues to develop. I am fascinated to see where his FGA/FTA average numbers fall by the end of the year (and how many of those are self-created vs. assisted).
    I get what you’re saying and I’m sure Banchero’s FGA will go up a bit as the season goes on, but I hope it’s only by 4 or 5 shots. I want him to stay clear of Barrett territory.

https://palestraback.com/2019/02/18/...his-potential/